Homeowner insurance increase...

Debi

I don't know if it's across the board, or just in PA...but our homeowner premium is due to increase if you own one of the 'biting breeds' of dog...german shepards and huskys are on the list (wonder if they will consider Addie as she is husky mix?? yea, probably) Don't know how everyone feels about that, but I think it's unfair. ANY dog can bite (I've met some little 3 pounders that would rip you apart) So my logic would tell me that they should just include all breeds. Seems unrealistic to single out a few. :mad: Truth be told........anyone coming around my house better watch out for the cat!!!!!! We didn't name her Beastlie for nothing!!! :eek:

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
My mom and dad had to go through a different insurance company because the first one they went to, wouldn't cover them because they have two pit bulls....I think it is so stupid.

That's not unusual, sorry to say. Time to shop for better homeowners' insurance. Indiana Mutual cancelled me because of Bimmer. The real rub is that he'd saved them a big claim a few weeks before when a known burglar pulled up in front of my house in town - thinking no one was there - with his van, ready to clean me out. Bimmer went ballistic; just exploded running from the front bedroom window to the living room window, snarling and raising Cain. Ever seen an old Ford cargo van lay down rubber?

That was before I met Charlie; now one never knows which dog - or dogs - will be at my house, since we're back and forth. Just imagine a burglar running into Shiva! And the funny thing is, she and Kharma probably wouldn't register on most insurance radar.

Of course, the thing we've all got to fear and resist is breed specific legislation.

bogolove

My mom is an adjuster for an insurance company here in Tennessee, and when my husband and I first started looking for a dog she listed me the ones that my insurance company would drop you if you got one and they were - Rotti's (which i know someone who has the sweetest one ever), Great Pyrenees, pitt bulls, and a few more I can't remember. I am pretty sure German Shepherds and Huskies weren't on the list, because we were looking for a GSD for a while. I asked my mom how they figure those things and she said it is purely statistics. Which stinks because each dog is so unique, it seems almost cruel to categorize them (and then it stinks for the owners trying to get insurance too).

Last edited:

Debi

I think it's so unfair cause the only thing biting around here is that @#$% cat............WOWZA the pain she can inflict!!! And, she is declawed...(due to her pleasant personality).....so it is the BITING!! I really do understand the reason behind the increase...IF it were for all dogs and not just certain breeds. I swear....I've been around many a big 'lug'.........but it's those little guys that scare the bejebbers out of me!!!!! :eek: LOL

I don't care.........willing to pay whatever anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I've never been bitten by a big dog - only had one offer to snarl at me, and that was after the little dog ran out of their yard, out into the road, and grabbed my jeans' leg. (The owners were sitting on the porch, watching and laughing. They had a chain link fence around the house but preferred to let their dogs out loose. The Doberman actually pinned a girl in our apartment complex inside her door and wouldn't let her out. I lay all the fault at the owners' feet.) But - I've been snapped at by a few Chihuahuas, bitten by a Peke, and my poor Bear used to get accosted regularly on our walks by two very ill-bred and foolish Poms. They couldn't have been too smart, chewing on the ankles of a 108 pound dog. Luckily for them, he just looked at them and walked on by, although I really wished he would pick them each up and shake them - just once!

I could just see that little dog snipping at the ankles :)

My Dobie used to get attacked all the time by little rat dogs. My dobie just outran them.
Big dogs always get a bum rap with insurance companies...

Chazhound

MY1BOXER

Thats sooo unfair. We have state farm and ours went up over 250.00. So we went and talked to our agent and he said everyone across the usa is going up. He didnt say it was going up because of dogs. You know, I really think the MEDIA plays apart in all the HOOPLA over pitbulls, dobermans, rotts, etc. My inlaws had a taco bell dog and it was mean. I think alot more people are afraid of the bigger dogs than they are the little dogs. Which it stands to reason>>>"Anyone would rather get bit by a little dog that they can have a chance fighting off, than a big strong dog...I know I would". But still yet the insurance companies are wrong for what there doing. Its animal discrimination.

With all the news about the increases in robberies, home intrusion and violent crime, and the known fact that dogs are the number one deterent to many of these crimes, can we infer that the insurance companies who make dog owners relinquish ownership of reasonable dogs are contributing to the violence homeowners are suffering?

Last edited:

Debi

Some added bizarre trivia........we live in a very rural area. We don't have a police force..so we have to rely on State Police...one for every 50 miles or so. We have actually gotten specific instructions from all sources..including the electric company...to protect ourselves......lighting, and dogs are the first choice of defense against intruders. Now...if I'm told I cannot rely on police reinforcement if there is a problem...and told to have a dog for protection.....why should I be punished with higher premiums because of it??? And, if I show that my dogs are fenced, or only with me indoors...why should I have to pay higher premiums. I don't have people on the premises. The mailperson never gets out of their car.....so that leaves people not invited. Don't I have a right to protect myself without being penalized? Ok...as you can tell, I could go on and on. I just don't think it's fair...period. IF there is a country wide problem...then it still shoud be for all breeds. Any dog can be dangerous. I don't see my premiums going up if I own a gun....go figure. :mad:

You know, part of this is the insurance companies figuring out ways to make up monies paid out over hurricane Hugo several years ago, then the next bad one (can't remember the name, Floyd maybe) that hit Florida, and September 11. What most of us don't know is that particularly in the case of 9-11, the insurors were themselves insured by larger insurance companies, so we have an immense food chain, each trying to recoup their profit margins from those years - not their losses, just the profits they didn't make.

Can you say G-R-E-E-D?

I agree with you wholeheartedly on the gun business, Debi. I'm not necessarily anti-gun ownership (although I do think there are far too many nuts with easy access to guns and ammo - why don't we track the sale of ammo, we have computers now), but you can't shoot me with my own dog, and not too many homes are broken into to steal dogs.

Dogs never get a break. They can't take up for themselves in the politics of business.
Thank goodness Hurricane Charley missed Tampa, but Ft. Myers area was hit hard and it is steaming through the heart of florida and maybe up to Jacksonville where I am...
Hope it don't cause much damage or they will take more from the dogs :(

Chazhound

Stay well, Chazhound. We're all thinking about you and hoping Charley just skips right by you and the pups.

I've been ragging my Charlie all day about where windy Charley was coming inland. It was tracking to come directly into Treasure Island, where he lived for five years.

B

blaire576

A homeowner’s policy combines hazard insurance with personal liability insurance (due to negligence) and provides a legal defense in the amount of the purchased policy. There are several types of basic policies including H0-1, H0-2, H0-3, H0-4, H0-5 and H0-6.

H0-1 is basic homeowner’s policy which covers your house and possessions against 11 different perils).
H0-2 (broad homeowner’s policy which covers your house and possessions against 17 different perils.
H0-3 (special homeowner’s policy, covers all perils except those specifically excluded by your policy,
H0-4 (renter’s policy which covers 17 perils and includes liability coverage. It doesn’t insure the home itself.
H0-5 is an extensive homeowner’s policy which covers damage from everything except earthquakes, floods and wars.
H0-6 provides personal property coverage, liability and specific coverage of improvements to the owner’s unit.

Before signing the dotted line check first companies current price check http://www.insurance-quote-free.com I found all this out trying to get good rates.

Julie

I am back again.
blaire576 said:
A homeowner’s policy combines hazard insurance with personal liability insurance (due to negligence) and provides a legal defense in the amount of the purchased policy. There are several types of basic policies including H0-1, H0-2, H0-3, H0-4, H0-5 and H0-6.

H0-1 is basic homeowner’s policy which covers your house and possessions against 11 different perils).
H0-2 (broad homeowner’s policy which covers your house and possessions against 17 different perils.
H0-3 (special homeowner’s policy, covers all perils except those specifically excluded by your policy,
H0-4 (renter’s policy which covers 17 perils and includes liability coverage. It doesn’t insure the home itself.
H0-5 is an extensive homeowner’s policy which covers damage from everything except earthquakes, floods and wars.
H0-6 provides personal property coverage, liability and specific coverage of improvements to the owner’s unit.

Before signing the dotted line check first companies current price check http://www.insurance-quote-free.com I found all this out trying to get good rates.
This is a very old thread. What are you an Insurance Agent? Trying to sell us something?

I live in PA and I havent seen anything on Homeowners indsurance going up because of "biting breeds" a lot of people in my family own pitties, as well as i, well half, but uhh... yeah... interesting.

Snark

Mutts to you
Our homeowners went up but the company sent a letter saying it was due in part to Hurricane Katrina, plus the rising cost of repairs and materials, plus the economy, plus possible terrorist attacks, plus somebody sneezed in Iraq... oh wait, that's why gas prices jumped...
Our insurance company is so stupid - we can't post Beware of Dog signs because 'that would be acknowledging a problem with the dogs and IF they bit a burglar, we would be liable.' They would rather pay for replacing stolen property than risk a lawsuit from a CRIMINAL engaged in breaking the law. Geez!!!
They have no sense of humor either - we'd painted over 'DOG' on the gate sign and put in 'MOUSE' instead, figuring if a burglar got bit by one of the dogs, we could at least say, 'Thank God it wasn't the Mouse!' Our agent made us take that down, too.

Members online