Breed specific rescues...

S

Stanna

Out of curiousity, anyone know why they don't pool resources with local rescues?

Is there a benefit or point I may be missing? Seems one could specify a breed to foster to the local shelter if they really wanted to help a particular breed only.

I have a feeling 100 bucks would go further with the local SPCA than a breed specific place, since they have their own vets , clinics, trainers, therapists etc. Opinions/insight?

scout1

the anatolian rescue goes and gets not only anatolians, but mixes of, and some other lgd breeds out of shelters and pounds and places them in foster homes. in some instances if a local rescue group or shelter has possession of the dog and the dog is not in danger of being euthanized they elect to keep the dog with the rescue group it is already in and will advertise it also.

Scout1's right. Breed-specific rescues have a lot of benefits. Rescue groups tend to have a flexibility that shelters and humane societies don't, meaning they can re-home dogs without euthanizing any. Most humane societies are in contact with the local breed-specific rescues. I transported a Bichon from our humane society to Denver 2 weeks ago to the Bichon rescue. The HS here works closely with a lot of the breed rescues, who accept pure-bred dogs and mixes of their breeds. If we can move a dog to a breed rescue, we know that dog will be well taken care of and it frees up a spot for another dog in the HS. Then, if someone has a "thing" for a particular breed, they can call the breed rescue and save a dog's life instead of going out and purchasing a puppy.

Members online

No members online now.