Will your dog walk with others?

monkeys23

Lily loves everyone, so yes. However she will also see what she can get away with lol.

Scout likes walking with someone she knows already, but at first she will be more comfortable going between out to the left and following behind the person. I would not advise someone walking her without Lily there if I'm not there. She would completely freak out without her security blanket there. The one exception being my good friend Sabrina. She adores her, probably her second fav person aside from me.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Roxie will walk with anyone else, but she is SUCH A JERK when it's not me lol. But that's probably just because no one else cares to remind Roxie that she's been trained to behave on walks.

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
That's a good question and I'm not sure of the answer for Lars especially.

Ocean would go only with someone he knows well...that's about 2...maybe 3 people. Those are the people who are close friends of mine. We've had those people come to the house to let them out if we are away for the day for things like my grandfather's funeral in NH or when MrBoats had his last back surgery where I left the house early and didn't get home until late in the evening. Other than those couple of people, Ocean wouldn't go anywhere with a stranger, let alone let them get close enough to him to put on a leash.

Lars...I'm not sure if he would go with someone he didn't know if I wasn't present. If I was nearby...he would go with anyone, as long as I was close enough for him to know I was close by. I have handed him off to people to work in obedience...and he will heel/work for anyone (treats or no treats.) In fact, I handed him off to my good friend who is in the group I just described above and she pretty much did a Utility Obedience run (minus scent articles) last night just for the hell of it. And, he nailed it. At least, I know if I break an ankle and can't walk right...I can send him out with her to show. LOL

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well if I'm on the walk too and I hand over the leash, both paps walk like they're still leashed to me.

Mia is finally to the point that I can hand her to someone at an agility trial while I run another dog.

They've never been on walks without me though. I expect Hank and Summer would LOVE to walk with someone else. I expect Mia would tolerate it but be ok. Depends on if it was a person she liked or not. Not that she likes many people...

For Garp, it would probably depend on the day. If he was having one of his mildly agoraphobic, shut-in days, probably not so much. If I was home and someone came to take him for a walk, probably not. He'd just slam on the brakes and refuse to get off the porch.

All other times, maybe. If he was in a good mood, he might walk nicely for someone else. If he's feeling edgier that day, probably not.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Huh! I'm sure everybody would go no problem. If it was a complete stranger Rider may be weird about them handling him, but he would probably walk on a leash with them.

Catsi

When out with friends, yeah no worries. They just like doing things. Abby might check in with me, but other than that, no stressing. I'm sure they'd cope with strangers too, to vary degrees. Abby wouldn't like it, but would quickly get over it. Gracie doesn't care, she hasn't met a person she hasn't liked. She's not very discerning.

I know they walk with the pet sitter with no problems at all.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Omg.

We walk almost every day in the woods with the same lady and her dog. She usually picks us up at our house and we all drive to the woods together. This has been going on since before Cobain was born. And every day Cobain will "lead the pack" and run the fastest through the trails.

One day neither my mother or I were home, so Pam thought it'd be nice if she walked Cobain for us. He got into the car fine, all excited for the walk. And then once they got to woods, she let him off leash and he looked shocked. As if he suddenly realized that neither my mom or I were there. So instead of his usual run in the woods, he sulked. He walked directly behind Pam the entire time looking miserable apparently.

Oh and then when Josh and I moved into the apartment. For the longest time Cobain wouldn't go out for a walk with him either.

Ruby and Oz will walk for whomever has treats. I think Rigby would be fine permitting she knows the person.

Brattina88

Bailey walks nicely with whomever has the leash :eek: lol

Maddie, it would depend. If she was somewhere she knew she was being walked (a fun place) and she felt eager to go, she'd definitely go lol. But if we were all somewhere (like maybe a cookout or camping) and someone wanted to walk her away from me, she'd just pull toward me.

Pit doesn't particularly like strangers and almost never lets them touch him, but if I were to hand his leash to anyone, it is like giving them the keys to the car. He might glance back at me to make sure I no longer have the leash, then he's off with whoever has him without a fuss. This is a wonderful feature for going to the vets when they need to take him away from me.

I still doubt he'd let the stranger touch him, though.

Doberluv

Oh yes...All three of mine would be glad to be taken for a walk with those they know. I haven't tried it with anyone they don't know. But they don't mind the vet taking them away from me or anyone in the office. They're all pretty confident and they love, love, love walks so it doesn't matter who is at the other end of the leash.:p

I'm not sure about Chomper! As I'm the only person he's usually with for walks, rides, etc. (minus if I'm walking him with a friend or family). I would assume he would as he likes to go walking, but he's also one of those dogs who looks for me a lot and might be confused as to where I am and thus might just take longer to walk because he'd keep stopping to see if I'm there. I think he'd walk with someone else, but it might just take a little longer than him walking normally with me!

BostonBanker

Meg is so resistant to the vet taking her away from me that they don't even try unless it is absolutely required - so pretty much only if I'm leaving her for a dental or something. Gusto won't go happily with them, but he doesn't panic the way Meg does.

Something to think about working on with my next dog, I suppose. In general, I actually prefer to have them do anything with me in the room, but it would be nice to have it as more of an option that doesn't make my dogs freak out.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
The last time a friend tried to take Briz for a run while we were visiting, she clipped his leash to the dead ring on his martingale collar and he suddenly realized this when they were several blocks away. As an expert collar-backer-outer, he immediately popped out and came flying back to me across.several blocks of unfamiliar territory. My loyal dog.

Of course, if we go to the dog beach without our Chuckit and someone else has one, he will become their dog until physically removed from the area.

Dekka

Just try me..
Dekka is small enough the vet just carries her out if they need to. But they do most things with me there.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Pen, Bubbles, and Jari will totally go with someone else. Jari might not unless they have food (he's becoming my little shadow), and Kimma definitely would not unless they have food. She would probably be the only one I would have to really convince to go with someone else. My vet never takes my dogs back for anything so I don't have to worry about that.

Members online

No members online now.