Friendly dogs vs reserved/aloof dogs

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Personally, I'm starting to prefer more aloof dogs, although I do appreciate it when a dog is friendly when meeting new people instead of stand-offish or nervous.

I think that Cali could be considered overly friendly, although I do love the fact that I can take her anywhere and I have zero worries about her getting along with other dogs/people. It doesn't matter who it is, if someone reaches down to pet her, she'll roll over and beg for belly rubs. She's a bit nervous around kids, if it's a group of them, but she's a total saint and is very tolerant if someone wants to feel her tail/etc. The downside is that I am 99% sure that she'd pick a stranger over me. :p

So, that brings me back to a few things.

1) Do you prefer a dog who is friendly with strangers/etc or a more aloof dog?
2) How do your own dog(s) compare to your preferences?

I prefer polite disinterest. The dog will go say 'hi' if asked, but really doesn't give two hoots about the new people.

Hudson things everyone was put on this earth to tell him how pretty he is and give butt scratches.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Cali Mae said:
1. Both? I think my 'ideal' is a happy medium dog that definitely prefers their people but also is polite with strangers and is moderately friendly. All in all though I can deal with a wide range in friendliness provided the rest of the temperament matches me.

2. I currently have two polar opposites. For Summer people are the best thing ever and she wants to say hi and jump all over and lick everyone she meets. She's.... A little over the top in her love for people. But I can appreciate her and how easy she is to bring places since she's so confident and friendly.

Mia is the opposite end of the spectrum. She is close to a no touch dog when it comes to strangers. Very rarely will she allow people to touch her (much to other people's sadness). She likes a handful of people but only after multiple good meetings. There have been one or two people she loves on first meeting but it's rare. One thing I like about her is that she's easy to keep engaged with me and she is very in tune with me. However there are downsides to it to and there are certainly times I wish she was not so standoffish. She also judges people and if the initial meeting is not good she is very unlikely to ever like or trust that person. We're talking years of good encounters after one bad and she still does. Not. Like.

It is nice having both them because I can direct people to Summer and Mia is never put in situations she doesn't like. Ideal is in between.

CaliTerp07

I love love love having a dog who adores people. Lucy thinks everyone on this planet should be in love with her, and I enjoy that a lot. She's great with kids and adults, and it makes me happy inside.

Well, both of my are like, "ZOMGPEOPLE!!!!!! <3 <3<3!!!!! WAGWAGWAG!!!!"

Both throw themselves shamelessly at new people we're meeting.

Cardigans are typically aloof dogs, and I do prefer that. I feel like an a--hole when I have to physically restrain my dogs from saying "hi" to people who aren't interested in them.

Lil Sis will literally block people from walking by rolling over on their shoes and asking for a belly rub.

GoingNowhere

I prefer polite disinterest. The dog will go say 'hi' if asked, but really doesn't give two hoots about the new people.
I'd be fine with this. My ideal would be a dog who really doesn't care about approaching strangers, but is not unfriendly if approached. As in, the dog who doesn't feel the need to want to run up and greet new people when out, but if swarmed by a random child while my back was turned would take it in stride, even if they weren't over the moon about it.

That said, I'd take a "too friendly" dog over an aggressive one in a heartbeat. I want to be able to take my dog in public. That's the bottom line.

Boo is close to my ideal out in public (with people), but not quite there. I do still worry about her at times, because, although unusual, occasionally she will be reactive with an individual in public and I definitely don't trust her 100% with small children. They can come up and say hi politely if I'm watching, but if I'm not, I wouldn't trust her not to bark if one tried to hug her tightly or ride her(!!) or pull her tail, etc.

I've seen a wide range of dogs fit my "ideal," from the stereotypically friendly labs and newfies and pit bulls who are just mature enough to have gotten over the huge excitement of meeting people, to the shepherds, etc who would clearly rather not be bothered, but stand there stoically when mobbed.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I prefer neutral to aloof (truly aloof, not fear-being-labeled-as-aloof, which sadly is common in both breeds I like). It is more convenient for me and the things I like to do with my dogs to have dogs that are just plain disinterested in strangers.

Macky is super friendly and it's very cute at times and it can certainly be really fun to "share" her with people. Still, I like that for Keeva and Blossom, the judge isn't going to be a distraction at performance events like it was for Mackenzy. Keeva didn't even notice the judge at our Rally trial on Sunday, LOL.

I don't need a hostile, nervy dog though - I want my dogs to be able to do a stand for exam in Obedience without worrying about what will happen. Also, both Keeva and Blossom will go say hi, Keeva does it if I tell her too and doesn't see the point (but will do it, lol), Blossom actually enjoys the interaction usually but will return to me immediately because other people just aren't that interesting.

CaliTerp07

Still, I like that for Keeva and Blossom, the judge isn't going to be a distraction at performance events like it was for Mackenzy. Keeva didn't even notice the judge at our Rally trial on Sunday, LOL.
Hah. Lucy's jumped in ring crew's laps at agility trials. It does make things a bit more challenging.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Hah. Lucy's jumped in ring crew's laps at agility trials. It does make things a bit more challenging.
LOL yeah, Macky is solid now but I would always hold breath at trials for the stand for exam because she'd start wagging her tail... the ears would go back... I'm like, OMG DO NOT MOVE!!!

Also, in the OB ring, when released between exercises, she will sometimes start towards the judge with her tail wagging, but now can easily be called off. *phew* LOL

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer has this thing now that if we run she's engaged but when we try to go put her in a crate she jumps in someone's lap. We've done all sorts of distraction work and Summers only distraction was people sitting on the ground. Balls and toys? Loud noises? People being weird and dancing? Totally cool but omg that person sitting is probably my new best friend. The other dogs drink tell had more issues with toys and noises.

Mia is definitely a little fearful vs truly aloof. But she's perfectly fine in close proximity to people and dogs as long as they don't try to interact with her.

I enjoy both, it's hard for me to choose. Pip is very aloof with strangers, he just doesn't care to interact with them the vast majority of the time so on walks, hikes, at the dog park, etc it is super easy for me because I know we can just do our thing and mind our business without interruptions.

On the other hand, it can sure be fun to be out and about with Squash... he loves everyone and everyone loves him, and I don't worry about him being inappropriate with people. But it can also be exhausting for this introvert to interact with a lot of strangers.

Maisy is also a super people-friendly dog but most people seem put off by her appearance. :(

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I would prefer neutral. A dog who is disinterested and doesn't feel the need to assault every stranger with love, but still friendly and okay with getting attention from others.

I have 2 that are more fearful of strangers. And then there's Happy who will walk up to anybody and politely stand there and wait for petting. I don't mind that.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I like dogs that don't really care but can engage to please friendly strangers who're seeking them out.

Arnold is smoochy for a passing second and then over it.

Shamoo is overtly friendly and rough with her affection. It's all about the arm noms, body slams, jumps, yips, and loves. She overwhelms most everyone. It's largely a manners issue but we just manage it with warnings and shrugs, she's old, whatever.

Backup sometimes seeks a pat on the head but he's similar to a cat. "You will pet me three times, no more, no less."

Sloan is casual, she'll stand for petting but it's clear she's not interested in it.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Shamoo is overtly friendly and rough with her affection. It's all about the arm noms, body slams, jumps, yips, and loves. She overwhelms most everyone. It's largely a manners issue but we just manage it with warnings and shrugs, she's old, whatever.
I would totally make out with Moo and laugh when she knocked me on my ass. :D

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I prefer a friendly, but reserved/polite dog, if that makes sense.

For example, if a stranger wanted to come up and pet my dog, I would like a dog that would say, "Oh, hello!" and accept/enjoy the petting. But I wouldn't want a dog to go "Oh, HAI!!!!!!!!! Hello! How are you! I'm awesome, see me?! Come pet me!!!" to everyone it sees.

Both Cynder and Abrams are what I like. Polite and will accept petting from friendly strangers, but they don't go out of their way to say "hi" to everyone.

Chloe is the opposite, though. She gets super excited to see people and runs up to them...and then when they go to pet her, she'll often snap. Hooray for my unpredictable dog that now cannot have anyone touch her in public. :rolleyes:

I like neutral to aloof as well, Gage is friendly, but with work will now wait for people to approach him. Diesel was the fearful dog who distrusted people, now with work he will approach people IF the other dogs do it first. Bristol LOVES people, strangers in particular, and trows herself at their feet. She doesnt jump up on people, but she really wants them to pet her.

I think right now Didgie is about my practical ideal.

She likes people a lot, she likes being pet and loved on and she's more than willing to lay there and get mushed all over. But, she isn't distracted by people. She doesn't pull to go see them or make eyes at them, she stays focused on me overall and if someone is petting her and I shift my weight or move at all she's right back to me. I like how it works for us because that means she's easier to handle in crowds but still more than willing to say hi but able to come right back to me.

Now, I say she's my practical ideal because to be honest as annoying as Traveler's intense love for people can be when I need him to focus on me it still makes me happy.

I absolutely love watching him work a crowd, it makes my heart happy. I was at a concert last week with him and he was on his absolute best behavior BECAUSE he wanted to see people. He just cracked me up and made me so proud the whole time because he sat by me and everytime someone walked by his ears would go back, his head would go down and he would look at them like "If you don't pet me I will die a horrible and lonely and cold death." and when they would come over to pet him he would just fall over on his back or crawl into their laps with this huge grin.

Then a toddler was over and he was sooo good for her, completely still because she was afraid a little bit but absolutely ecstatic to get love.

He's convinced those concerts are held for him and loves going to them because all the people are their to worship at his feet. It just is so fun to watch and make him happy.

So yeah, I guess I like both. I don't think I could have two Traveler's but I also don't think I could be without Didgie's ease of being in crowds.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
I prefer aloof. I can't stand a dog that has to go and say hi to every single person and can't focus on it's owner.
Nola's pretty much my ideal; she'll let people pet her if they approach her correctly, but she keeps to herself and keeps her focus on me.

adojrts

Hudson things everyone was put on this earth to tell him how pretty he is and give butt scratches.
This ^^^^ just described The Punk perfectly lol. I find it funny to watch her dismiss people. But, if she knows someone or has met them several times, it is a different story, super friendly :)

DJEtzel

I prefer a dog who is more aloof with people. Not nervous, shy, or aggressive, just completely disinterested in an "I could take it or leave it" sort of way.

Frag fulfills this PERFECTLY.

Recon is getting there, but he's still a puppy so he does love people still.

Sir is great about not seeking them out and being able to work around people without getting distracted by the thought of pets, but once someone offers you can't get him away. ;)

Members online

No members online now.