Breed traits that aren't commonly known

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I'm not sure if there has been a thread like this or not, I haven't looked much.

Are there any traits are really common in your breed but no one ever mentions to prospective owners? For example, BCs are famous for being high-energy, intense, smart, agile, etc., but no one seems to mention that they are extremely affectionate- annoyingly so in fact. Most of the BCs I've met want to melt into your skin pretty much... they swarm you, like they will die without fairly regular petting. I never read this in BC books, and it is not commonly seen as a breed trait in the "is this breed right for you" type articles on breeder websites and such.

Or like, I had no idea how funny BCs were. You hear the words "intensity" "serious" "focused" to describe the BC, but never "hilarious" "goofy" "happy"... which almost every Border Collie I know is.

Are there breed traits that aren't exactly "advertised" in the breed books that are common in your breed? Or are the temperament descriptions in the books fairly accurate? Does that make any sense at all? LMAO!

Grab

Not really a huge deal, but none of my Chows (and other Chow owners report the same) will willingly get their feet wet/dirty. This doesn't carry over to getting in bath tubs and the like, they've all been very willing to do that. But puddles outside, no thank you. Of course Aesop has to be a goober and refuse to step outside if there's even a hint of precipitation...:rolleyes:

mrose_s

BusterLove
Interesting that you say that about BC's. My experience, with my own BC and others I have met have been that they are pretty reserved. Quinn is very independant and not really an affection seeker.
She likes to wrap her arms around your neck and lick your face but she isn't one of those "Please, I want touch" dog. She tolerates my cuddles.
Its actually one of the things I like most about Quinn, I like a head on my lap to pat on my terms but much more than that bugs me.

The thing that I didn't know about BC's and I have now heard several times is that they can just be generally quirky.
While most of Quinn's quirks would drive most the people I know nuts, I love them.
Her hatred of wearing harnesses or how she will be asleep in another room and then suddenly run out like we called her name, only to droop her eyes and then go back to bed... running out again 20 minutes later like we called her.
I think discovering and living with her quirks makes her all the more interesting. After all, she's smart enough to work through anything that worries/bothers me.

I didn't know GSD's were prone to handler obsession till I heard it recently and i thought about my trainers GSD. He's a great dog, really well rounded but he just hangs out for my boss so badly.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
About half the papillon books/web pages don't seem to get the energy level right. I still see a lot that talk about how papillons need very little exercise and that drives me batty. Some paps are really good without exercise but there is a substantial number (I would say most) that need much more than all breed websites tend to mention. I've seen 5 minutes a day mentioned before. Seriously? Not going to work for the vast majority of papillons. No wonder I see so many people complaining that they're hyper.

One thing I don't see mentioned is that papillons are quirk balls. I see it mentioned with shelties a lot but in my experience paps are pretty darn quirky too. Not as motion sensitive but quirky. Ex: Beau likes to walk around with blankies on his head. Summer likes to put herself in down stays then wait to be released. Mia spends about half her time walking around and just putting her tennis ball inside things and then getting them back out.

I also find that papillons love to climb and also jump/fling themselves off of high places. One of the first things Beau's breeder showed us was how to hold them so they don't try to push off your chest. Mine have ended up in shelves, on tables, they frequently hang out on the back of the couch, Mia wants to ride in the car on the head rests, Summer has flung herself off of a 5' wall before without thinking, etc. Couple that with their size and it can be problematic.

They are about the least stoic/pain tolerant dog breed ever. They are so dramatic about everything. If they are happy, they are really really happy but they have woe is me down pat.

milos_mommy

I've never seen a JRT book mention that DA is fairly common in the breed. They seem to cover most other things pretty well.

Cardiparty

I joke that cardigans are feral dogs lol

I don't know how everyone's Cardigans are, but the ones I've met are just straight up crazy like a fox and tricksy. Opening cabinets and fridges, somehow able to get up on counters, tables...just places you'd never expect for a short legged dog to be able to go.

They also have a really high preydrive and my cobreeders girl can catch wild rabbits occasionally, but it's more common for her to bring in chipmunks (which are probably faster, so I have no idea how she catches those).

They are also escape artists. I dog sat one cardi and no crate could contain her. One time, she got out and the crate was still locked. Have no idea how she got out, because she was on the couch when I got home looking really proud of herself.

Oh, and they will be afraid of things that you will not understand. My dog is reactive to fire hydrants. QUIRKY!!!!!!! LOL I don't know how or why. I've had her since she was a little thing and as far as I know, no fire hydrant has ever been mean to her hahahaha!

Maybe not all cardigans are like that. Maybe it's just the bloodlines I have. I've heard some people say their cardigans are couch potatoes and laid back as all get out, but that's not been my experience.

MicksMom

I've never seen a JRT book mention that DA is fairly common in the breed. They seem to cover most other things pretty well.
Aaa, now I could tell people that from personal experience. I haven't met one yet that isn't DA to some degree.

Labs? I'm not sure if it's a breed thing or not, but of all the breeds I've owned, it's only been the 3 Labs that people have described as people in fur coats. They are also the only dogs I've owned that have undesrstood conversation, not just key words.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
My experience with border collies strongly varies from different lines. Maybe that's why?
This.

I know many border collies that don't want to be loved on and aren't trying to crawl into your skin. Especially the working lines. One that I know is so independent, you're lucky if you get to touch her at all.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Probably, I guess most of the working lines I'm exposed to have been extremely lovey. Not exactly Velcro, though, they can work independently, but they are obsessed with cuddling and attention, at least most of the dogs I know.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Probably, I guess most of the working lines I'm exposed to have been extremely lovey. Not exactly Velcro, though, they can work independently, but they are obsessed with cuddling and attention, at least most of the dogs I know.
My experience hasn't been lovey, they're very work oriented and probably lovey at home but mostly they don't have time for cuddling, they remind me of my Malinois who needed to be taught down time and cuddling was a byproduct but always an interesting challenge(ouch comes to mind, they love *hard*). lol

It's a funny breed though, my friends CP didn't act like my friends HN nor like my friends farm dog, when you get down to really analyzing them. None have been super cuddly though, maybe you're just a border magnet? :p

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Well, I don't know what is typically written on breed websites, but I have one for Dachshunds:

They MUST sleep under blankets. They can't just have a dog bed, they have to have a blanket on top of the dog bed so they can burrow into it.

Toller_08

Dobermans: Unless you're actually talking to Doberman people, nobody mentions just how extremely cuddly and affectionate they are. I've never been around dogs who crave human affection so much. And while I wouldn't call them 'soft', they are incredibly sensitive to their person's emotions and they're kind of an odd mix of sensitive but determined. They're also extremely observant and don't (IME) just react. They take the time to think something through and then decide if it's worth alerting to. And I see it mentioned regularly that they're one person dogs, but people see that and think that they just don't like the rest of the family or other people, which is totally untrue. They definitely have their favourite person, but they love their entire family. And with strangers, while mine will seek out attention, they're also aloof about it. Strangers never get to see the goofy side of my dogs. And that's another thing! Very rarely do I see mention of what goofs Dobes can be. They aren't as outwardly forward in their humour as other breeds/dogs can be, but they're certainly goofy. Oh, and they think they'll melt in the rain/snow, and can't step in gross things or tiny puddles, but running through a giant mud puddle on their own accord is perfectly acceptable and apparently a lot of fun.

Tollers: I'm not really sure. I guess when I got Dance though, I didn't realize just how headstrong and determined they could be. It is mentioned here and there, but I was a bit surprised. Most Tollers I know are also rather independent and need to be force cuddled most of the time haha. They seem to like to be near and are very shadowy and sweet, but they don't necessarily want to be snuggled with unless they decide they're in the mood. Also, I find them to be very reactionary, as in "bark first, question later". Makes for a great alert dog, but I was surprised at just how much so. I house-sat for a whole bunch at once and they were all like that, as is Dance, which for me was a big change when compared to my other dogs. And everyone mentions "high energy" but while they're supposed to have a lot of energy and be active dogs, nobody describes the type of energy, which is a bit frantic and busy. But they also have excellent off switches. I remember before getting one I was a little worried that they never stopped.

Aussies: The only thing I'm really surprised about is how snuggly she is. I don't even know if this is a breed trait or just a family trait. But she's so incredibly affection and cuddly, but she's not pushy about it either, which coming from Dobermans, is odd to me. I didn't realize dogs could be that affectionate without being super needy about it haha. Oh, and maybe it is mentioned, but bouncy! Journey believes that hopping and bouncing is just the best way to get around.

Saeleofu

Collies are total clowns. And they give the best, most gentle kisses <3

Boxers...I think they're pretty well covered. But they do like to grumble-talk. A lot.

They MUST sleep under blankets. They can't just have a dog bed, they have to have a blanket on top of the dog bed so they can burrow into it.
This is SO TRUE. One of my coworkers has a doxie and it's just the same for him. In fact, Gavroche is an honorary dachshund because he, too, must sleep under a blanket lol

Lizmo

Water Junkie

I think I understand what you mean, however, I don't think you're describing it right maybe?

I've been around many working dogs. I own one. Most (not all) do like a cuddle/attention, more so than is ever talked about in books, however if there is work to be done (or play) they will always go for that over a pet. If they are focused on stock, a cuddle will mean nothing. If the dog is focused on running up the stairs to a dock, a touch will mean nothing. But AFTER working stock is finished or their jumping fun is over, sure, they like a good pet.

But the bolded part...I can't say many of the dogs I've been around are obsessed with it. In very calm, non-work/play mindset they can enjoy it. But that's about it.

IMO, Aussies are much more into pets/cuddles than Border Collies are.

Again, just my experience. But I definitely would not sell them as a breed that is obsessed/seeks out cuddles and bell rubs.

With Shibas I guess it would be the description that they are affectionate, they are never what most people would call affectionate, the typical 'OMG youre home and i love you and how was your day amd now put your hands on me and i will never leave your side now that you are home', they are more 'oh you're home, um ya, that's good, I wagged my tail and permitted you to touch my head, ima go outside now, let me know when you will be serving dinner, ok'.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Briar WILL NOT cuddle ..he looks at me like I'm retarded when I try to make him snuggle. I even make him watch Penn to learn ahahah

Vizslas are WAY more vocal than anything I've read anywhere. Otherwise, I don't feel like I got too many surprises, pleasant or otherwise, with her.

Paige

Let it be
my border collie is very silly outside and super loving but not over bearing.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Most BCs I'm around are very work work work. They can be affectionate but none are super cuddly. The Aussies I know are sucks. Lol.

One thing that recently amazed me was that my friend's very tall big Belgian girl can curl up in a tiny little ball to sit on someone's lap. I think they look bigger than they are because they're so tall but she makes herself into a tiny little Belgian ball.

I don't think descriptions of ES ever quite convey how HAPPY they are and how GOOFY they can be. Most talk about how they are rule followers & enforcers and I think that gives the impression that they are super srs, and Hudson can be serious, but mostly he is just happy and goofy.

The other night he decided he wanted his fleece bed on the OTHER side of the bed room (possibly on the bed). He grabbed it in his mouth and pulled it across the room and then jumped up on the bed with his tongue happily hanging out of the side of his mouth looking rather pleased with himself.

Members online

No members online now.