I have to break down..

iluvdogs

And get Mikito a haircut!! :mad:

I feel sorry for the poor little guy..Hes always soooo hot now that its summer and in bed hes soo restless because hes so hot.

I'm going to miss all his funny hair...lol

Its not until Next Thursday but I will for sure take pics for your guys! I'm just worried about him being a good boy for the hair clippers since hes still a puppy and he DOES have attitude!

Saintgirl

I know that this really is none of my buisness, but I wanted to warn you about grooming a pom mix. If you have him shaved you run the risk of not having the fur growing back in the same way that it was. Over time when you shave them down the fur actually grows in very fluffy and dry looking. People believe that the shaving down of the dog is what cools them down, but this is not so. What is really cooling them down is the removal of the undercoat which is achieved at the groomers with brushing, washing and the high velocity dryer which they do regardless of whether you shave the dog down or not. The guard furs keep the sun off of the body preventing sun burns.

I would NEVER shave down my huskyX, but I professionally groom her once a month in the summer to keep her cool. The other things that you can do to help Mikito out would be to have the groom done, just a trim, but leave the guard fur, remove the undercoat, and ESPECIALLY shave out the belly, this will allow them to lie on cooler surfaces and have that coolness next to their skin.

Sure, I know that people are going to say that they have double coated breeds that they shave down and they know that their dog is happier with it done, but why on earth would groomers tell people this if it were not true---we lose money telling people this.

In the end, it is your choice and you have to do what you think is best for the pup. Either way, I can't wait for pics!

iluvdogs

The groomer did tell me about the fur thing.

I do wash and brush him lots (since he has LONG hair, you have to brush him to stop from mat's)

I'm not ALWAYS going to get his hair cut...If it turns out good and if he seems more happy with the short hair we will only get it done for the summers. That's only once a year. I do the same to my long hair cat.

Plus I'm not going to ask her to shave him down to his skin lol. She cuts my moms maltipoo all the time and in the summers she leaves the hair on him longer because of the sun. Shes a good groomer!!

Saintgirl

I was only giving my professional advise! You can take it or leave it, many people do choose to shave their dogs against the advise given and are very happy with the results. I always advise my clients with any spitz breeds to NOT shave, and it doesn't matter if you shave down to the skin or just half of the guard fur, once you damage it and ruin the structure you risk permanent damage. Some dogs, like my Abbey can show the damage from one clip, her lines from being clipped out for her spay are still there and she is 7 years old (she was spayed at 11 months). Other dogs can be clipped an entire lifetime and have no adverse reaction, but I'm glad your groomer warned you.

Members online