Can you leave your dog out loose while you are gone?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Chloe: yes, all of the time. She is never crated.
Cynder: yes, all of the time. She is never crated.
Abrams: not as of now, no, as he is still being potty trained. I'm hoping when he's grown we'll be able to not use a crate.

Cooper: no, he'll poop or pee on the floor.
Gracie: no, she'll poop on the floor.

SpringerLover

Buzz, yes. He used to be hell on four legs but now he just likes to look out the windows and meander around, and sleep.

Bailey is pretty much never in a crate now that she lives with my mom. She still chooses to sleep in hers but there's no need for the door to be shut. She used to be the animal we'd put away because the two cats and Buzz were always fine together and she wasn't.

Gaby, the foster, could be loose if the cats were put away. But, she's a foster so she's crated anyways.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Izzie is fine to be left loose, but I crate her anyways because I am a control freak and I don't want her flying off the back of a couch and damaging herself.

The other pugs are not crate trained at all so they've always been out. They occasionally eat things they shouldn't.

Gage no, he has broken 3 windows and 5 screens when he has decided to try and bark at someone and forgotten they were there. He doesnt jump out, just runs his giant melon head into them :rofl1:.

Diesel no, I have caught that dog on the fridge...there is no putting stuff away enough.

Bristol yes, she just sleep somewhere until our return lol.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Yes, but she's crated anyway. I think it's very important that she's familiar with and comfortable in the crate just in case (god forbid) of a back issue. She's also crated so she doesn't jump off the back of the couch or climb onto the desk and jump off that!:eek:

xpaeanx

I prob could leave Muffin out, but I don't. He has a 42" crate and he basically just sleeps. Walsh was a no. He was always going, and he also had a large crate.

I don't think I'd ever leave a dog uncrated for more than an hour or so... The peace of mind that comes with a crate is priceless.

Assamiea

Rocky and Baxter are left out but are restricted to certain areas of the house when we're not home. They have full run of the kitchen, hallway and laundry room but aren't allowed upstairs, in the living room, bathroom and den when we're out.

SaraB

Zuma and Zinga would be fine, but we have cats that they love to pester, so I crate them. Zip Tie is still a puppy, so for his safety, he's never left loose.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo is left loose all the time because if he is crated or confined when we leave, he loses it.

Siri is crated, and always will be. Any future dogs will be crated/confined to an x-pen for as long as they are with me, just for peace of mind.

Grace has full run of the house when we are not there. I've never crated a dog and dont think I ever would. All of our previous dogs had full run of the house also and never destroyed anything.

Xandra

I haven't crated Roman in over 5 years. He's totally nondestructive, always has been.

BlueMerle

Jasper- Yes but closed into the guest room. He is still really young and I want to make extra sure he his safe from himself.

Sophie- Yes
Damon- Yes he just sleeps while we are gone.
Piper- Yes

Max- Yes but in the Basement with no carpet. If there is carpet he will dig it up from his anxiety/ boredom.

Equinox

Yes, every day regardless of how long we are gone. We just need to make sure to put the cat food up high :p He never gets into anything else and would just sleep the entire time. We are fine leaving him uncrated with two cats running around in the house. If we had another dog, though, he would have to be crated.

Flyinsbt

I don't actually know, since I don't do it. When Tully was still alive, she would be loose, Tess and Pirate would be confined. (before Pirate, my old dog Elmo would also be confined. He could be loose when he was younger, but got naughty with age) I'd intended to try having Tess as the out dog now that Tully is gone, but I haven't had the courage to try yet. When Tess had her pups, and they reached the "moved to the living room" stage, she did have the run of the house, since I had to give her the opportunity to get away from the pups if she chose. And she was fine. But she had the pups to distract her, I don't know if it would be the same now.

The only thing Tess would be likely to do is get into food, but that's a big thing. If I could shut the kitchen off, I wouldn't worry about it.

Pirate is far away from me being willing to try anything like that.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Wesley is left loose when people are gone. The only issue would be the kitchen, and it's gated off. He just sleeps.

Abby- Yup. she's always left loose when we leave and she can pretty much go anywhere

Bo- yes he's also loose, but restricted from the bedrooms

Twsiter- loose as well, but also restricted from the bedrooms

Karma- yeah...no. She did however at one point manage to bust out of her crate and decided it would be fun to destroy my one good pair of shoes... So unless I'm actively there with her to keep an eye out she's crated

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Abby- Yup. she's always left loose when we leave and she can pretty much go anywhere

Bo- yes he's also loose, but restricted from the bedrooms

Twsiter- loose as well, but also restricted from the bedrooms

Karma- yeah...no. She did however at one point manage to bust out of her crate and decided it would be fun to destroy my one good pair of shoes... So unless I'm actively there with her to keep an eye out she's crated
How does that work? If Abby can go anywhere, but Bo and Twister are restricted from the bedrooms... How could she get in the bedrooms? Now I'm curious :p

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Teagan has access to the whole house when we are gone during the day, but she is crate trained and has no issues spending time in the crate. Crate training is a God send when we have to go on any kind of trips and I crate her in the car.

Mitsu was crated when we where gone, mostly because I did not want any kind of snarking to start between the Teagan and Mitsu and it escalate.

Pup, pup is going to be kennel trained, during the day he is going to spend it in an X-pen in the kitchen, where Teagan spends most her time looking out the window on the bench. And during the night he will be kept in a kennel beside our bed. Teagan and Pup Pup will probably never be left un-crated when we are gone so his kennel will probably be moved into the living room or the kitchen. I am hoping to switch his kennel for a bed in the bedroom once he is older. Or we will just give in and let him sleep on the bed- NOT!!

Members online

No members online now.