The problem with anti-chaining legislation

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I'd have to read through all the dog laws, but I'm relatively certain it's illegal to not provide adequate shelter, regardless of the weather...

DanL

There was a GSD mix who lived about a mile from us, when I'd walk Gunnar we'd see him. Left out 24x7, tethered, had a dog house but no flap on it and no bedding inside. We had a cold snap where it was about zero for a few days, I called animal control about the dog, they checked, he had food, water, and a dog house so there was nothing they could do.

My brother has a husky who is tethered 24x7. He's tried to bring her inside, she doesn't like it. The colder the temps the better too, she loves the cold.

Gunnar likes it when its cold too, he'll go outside for hours when winter hits.

What ordinances would be enforced for leaving a dog outside tethered in the winter when the temps are around 10 degrees? What ordinances are violated where the dog that is tethered is not even provided a dog house?
The same ones that are enforced for leaving a dog loose in a fenced yard without shelter?

Mjjean

I am also not happy with tethering laws. According to rumor, the H$U$ is targeting my state and trying to have a statewide anti-tethering law passed.

At home, I have a fenced yard and my dogs don't try to escape. When visiting my family, who live in a more rural setting, there are no fences. At my fathers house, they cant fence or put up a kennel by neighborhood association rules. At my brothers, he lives in a modular home and the park doesn't allow fencing or kennels. At my sisters, there is no fence and she cannot install one ebcause the property is too big and she is a renter.

When I visit family I bring my dogs because they live so far away and I cannot trust my dogs not to get into trouble and do not want to crate them for a long period of time. So, I bring 25 foot tethers and tether them to the base of a good, solid tree. They can be near family and safe from hazards while playing together with the other family dogs.

I also have a neighbor with an escape artist dog who cannot allow her dog outside unless leashed or tethered. The dog climbs the fence as a child would and has been known to go visiting other neighbors dogs by climbing into their yards.

How sad for all of us if anti- tethering legislation passes here.

Dog-Training-Outlet

Dog-Training-Outlet.com
Let's face it, not everyone is allowed to install a fence! Many neighborhoods prohibit them so we need other options. I've had my dogs on long "runs" in the yard and honestly I think they like them. It's an opportunity to run and play outside but still be safe while I am not there.

John Carlo

Chaining your dog...

I don’t particularly like chaining my dog. I remember growing up, we never chained our dog. He would stay in the yard and there were no problems. Then there was this time where the dog warden started to pick up loose dogs, and ever since then we had to chain our dog. But it wasn’t the same and one day we gave the dog to a local farmer to live out the rest of its life in freedom. If I were to get a dog again I would consider an electric fence or a very long tether if I had a big back yard. What to Look for When Comparing Remote Dog Training Collars

PetDogPro

The anti tethering law trend may have started with good intentions but there are legitimate reasons for tethering a dog or keeping it on a chain. As mentioned not having a fence is one of them. It’s better for society in general if the dog is tethered than roaming loose. From older research I have read it’s often free roaming dogs that are the cause of fatal dog attacks. At least that used to be the case. I have not read any recent research. Tying a dog out may heighten aggression but it is easier to get away from a dog who can’t move with you or form into packs (roving bands).

While I do not agree with keeping a dog on a chain all the time it is a common practice in many parts of the world. I would say that dogs have been kept tied out at least for several hindered years of not thousands. Many are quite content being tied close to the house and seeing their people to get fed, while keeping strangers away. It could be that some dogs have developed a personality trait that makes being on a tie out an acceptable part of life.

Reason to be Against Anti Chaining Laws

I really enjoyed this thread, since it provided some thoughts that I do not think have been given nearly enough press. It seems that many people have ideas about what it means to be humane to dogs and want to push these ideas on everyone. Such is the case with anti chaining legislation.

The problem is that there are many dogs who are escape artists and will try and do just about anything to get out of their yard. One of the posts talks about this very situation. Sometimes, no matter what is done a dog will still escape. In such cases and tether might be a good idea. Yet, many folks will scream bloody murder that this is treating a dog badly.

I would agree if the tether was very short, say only 5 or 10 feet. But with a 20 or 30 foot tether, the dog has the ability to run and play over a rather large square area. Best of all, the owner does not need to worry about them escaping.

cliffdog

Hehe, did you all hear about the founder of Dogs Deserve Better being arrested for animal cruelty? It's the best news I've read in ages! I hope she sits in a jail cell until she dies. Then she'll know how all the dogs she locked in tiny crates for the majority of the day felt.

Miakoda

Hehe, did you all hear about the founder of Dogs Deserve Better being arrested for animal cruelty? It's the best news I've read in ages! I hope she sits in a jail cell until she dies. Then she'll know how all the dogs she locked in tiny crates for the majority of the day felt.
I didn't hear that! That's hilarious!!!!!

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
What is "the majority of the day"? From what I've read of that incident they had nothing to actually charge her with all her dogs were in great physical condition(meaning well excersized) had plenty of mental stimulation and were all in great health.

I personally know nothing about this DDB organization and am not for or against them. I just like to get the whole story before demonizing someone. "the majority of the day" is certainly a subjective phrase.

I am not against tethering at all. I have tethered my own dogs from time to time and I always tether them when we go camping since campsites are usually fairly close to one another. At home they have a 40'X12' pen that they can go in. When I go to work I crate some dogs and some are left loose, who is crated and who is loose is often switched up on any given day.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed

Miakoda

Oh, I'm sure she PAID her way out. After all, all those donations from the blind and ignorant people of the world have to go to some use.

I have no sympathy for a lady, who not only advocates the stealing of dogs from owners' yards, but goes further to encourage neighbors to call THEM and "report" dog owner who leave their dogs outside and/or chain/tethers their dogs so that DDB can somehow intervene and do the stealing of the dogs instead.

You want to steal my dog? Have at it. You'll find yourself staring at the "Oh *#%*...I just pooped my pants!" end of my 30.06.

Problem is, IF the charges aren't realistic, it's only going to add to her appeal and make a martyr of her, allowing the organization to further demonize anyone who uses a tether or tie out. :(

Barbara!

Love this thread! I am constantly banging heads with rescues over this.

The biggest problem I have encountered with people that think chaining is wrong is the whole "chaining makes dogs aggressive" crap that HSUS has spread. The fact is, the chain doesn't make the dog aggressive, it's the lack of socialization given to dogs who are chained all day that may result in aggression. A chain does not make a dog aggressive and it drives me insane that people who work in rescue don't know this. They blame the chains...not the idiot owners. If you came across a dog with an imbedded collar, would you blame and attempt to outlaw collars? Or would you blame the owner, the person who misused the collar?

Another problem is people seem to think that your dog has to be in your business, cuddling with you all the time or you are not a good dog owner. "Why get a dog if you're just going to chain them outside?" Excuse me, but I am not going to have my dog up my butt all the time. I am going to put him outside/crate him/tell him to go away at times. This logic just doesn't make sense.

It's the same thing with responsible breeding...these people don't see a middle ground. They see all chaining as bad, all breeding as bad... It's hard to get through a mentality like that and a resistance to enlightenment and learning.

RMFritz

ClearlyforCanines.com
I am in total agreement with your thoughts on the whole situation. You are taking responsibility for your companions and watching out for their safety as well as others in your area. There are so many other things needing more attention than how you confine your pets!

Members online

No members online now.