Need advice please!!

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I am starting a new job soon as a kennel manager in SC. The job includes an apartment. The woman who works there now is living in the apartment until Sept.

The owner of the kennel would like me to start early summer. I would be able to live in her house, but my dogs will need to be in the kennel. It's a nice kennel with indoor/outdoor runs, and there are huge play yards that my dogs can go out in during the day. In Sept, my dogs can live in the apartment.

I was just there for an interview and to see the place. I had brought my dogs with me, and for three days they were in the kennel.

Now, any time I put my dogs in a boarding kennel they are in perpetual motion because of all the activity. They always end up losing weight because of that. They tend to be hard to keep weight on as it is, usually though in a few days after leaving a kennel the weight is back on them. After three days at this place my dogs ribs were showing and Ares was suddenly being quite wobbly (he's 8 and his hips are beginning to give him trouble.)

I'm concerned about the idea of them being in the kennel for the whole summer. Ideas?? Do you think if I just up their food they'll keep weight on? Or would that just give them more energy to burn? Should I tell the owner that I can't start the job until the apartment is available? Does anyone wanna foster my dogs for a few months? Anything else??

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
If you're living in her house will you get your own room? Can't you just keep them crated in there?

I don't think I would keep my dogs in a kennel for a whole summer if they were losing weight being there, especially an older dog.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
If you're living in her house will you get your own room?
I will have my own room. She has a GSD and a lab who both run free and have no training. I don't think it would work out to try to have to walk through the house with mine on the way to and from the room, and she doesn't want to bring other dogs in the house with hers anyway.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Keep the ole guy in his indoor run and let him out for a little bit at a time

noludoru

Bored Now.
If you are working for her and part of the job description is having an apartment, the apartment should be yours. IMO your dogs' health and physical/mental well-being is the most important thing.

Staff online

Members online