Vibes for MR. Shaffer needed

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Please vibes from those that like Mr. Shaffer.

Day before yesterday I felt a lump in his lymph gland about the size of a small pecan. I told Mom if it got bigger to let me know and figured I would take him in Monday to see if he was getting a tooth infection or something. I wasn't able to get over there yesterday and she said he had eaten and drank and was going outside, and didn't feel it was bigger. THis morning she called and said he wouldn't get up. I said I would be right there. When I got there the lump was now on both sides, and big as a small orange on both sides. He was in distress. I took him to the er vet where he gave the bad news, either it is an infection (with no fever) or it's cancer. All of his lymph glands are swollen. He gave him a shot and said they should go down considerably in 24 hours. THen he said to call Tuesday evening and we will see how he is, he also said he could make him comfortable for a couple months, maybe.

I had to go home and tell my 88 year old Mother all of this. I just called her and asked if he was ok, she said she made him some cottage cheese with boiled egg and he ate that as well as the soft treat I brought with me. I raised his water bowl up on a milk crate so he wouldn't have to bend over to drink which I believe made pressure on his esophagus. He is a very tall dog.
I told her I would be worrying with her.

Snark

Mutts to you
Poor boy! Sending lots of vibes that it's a treatable infection and (((((((hugs))))))) to your mom and you.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Poor Shaffer... hugs to you and your mom, you are both such wonderful, loving parents of all things two and four legged <3

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
called this morning to see...

Mom said he was up, asked to go out, drank some, not a lot of water, so she made his food really wet to help it go down better. I checked to make sure she left his water elevated, and she had. Carl said that shot should take them down considerably in 24 hours. SO now we wait and see.

I can't imagine my Mother a lone without a dog. I can't, don't want to live there in brown recluse/snake land. If haven't written about it, but all I can say to that is I do not want to be there, and she won't leave and come here. I don't think she should be there period, but without Shaffer who steadies her in so many ways she isn't even aware of, he is just irreplaceable for that aspect alone not to mention he is my friend, and super special like all dogs I know, but you know what I mean. Another dog with her bad vision, and walker, and expensive stockings, I think they cost a hundred a pair, don't see that either.

Waits and worries. THank you all for the vibes.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Mr. Shaffer has a very aggressive form of cancer. The doctor will keep him comfortable for as long as he can, he told Mom, he might have 3 weeks. He might not. I told Mom to spoil him, to make each day count a hundred.
and that I am so terribly sorry, hor him for her, and because he is my friend too. He has spent just about a year with me if you put the broken hip and the 6 months of the broken leg together, Pepper's licky love bird..heavy sigh.

Snark

Mutts to you
So very sorry to hear this, I was so hoping for better news. Hugs to your mom, Mr. Shaffer and you.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am going to take his licky love bird over to him for a day this weekend. I took him a muffin tonight while I did what needed to be done at Mom's.
She said he has talked her out of all kinds of goodies today. He did his happy dance when I came in as he always does, flashing me his grin where he shows upper and lowers. I told her take it one day at a time, and then I tried to take my own advice. Id idn't do a very good job when I locked her door. I am so very tired, and it's way too soon after saying goodbye to Neccy. IT just is. Thanks to all for the hugs and understanding.

Members online

No members online now.