Dog stink

Sekah

The Monster.
Megatron has always been a smelly dog. She's got frito-feet and a general dog stank which comes right back after a bath. I've always attributed the latter to her being intact.

Well, no more! She's desexed as of Friday. I'm wondering if, over time, she'll destinkify a bit. Has anyone else noticed a change like this after a spay or neuter? For the record, she's almost 10 years old -- I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Cohen on the other hand smells pretty good most of the time, assuming she's not rolled in something gross.

What about your dogs?

People have actually remarked specifically on the fact that Astro smells like absolutely nothing at all. Ever. The only time he's had an odor is when he had yeast issues - it's easy to head off at the pass now because if he starts getting that weird sweetish smell, I know exactly what's up. Even when he had the skin/yeast stuff, the smell was very mild and I only noticed because he smells like nothing 99% of the time, from his jowls to his tail tip.

I'm hoping New Dog will be the same way but she has a very different type of coat so who knows?

Edit: Oh and Astro was a pediatric neuter from a rescue. I wonder if he would've developed more of an odor if he'd been left intact longer? New gal is 2 and was just recently spayed.

Stingr69

Papillon Fan
Our Paps as a breed are not expected to have much of a doggie smell. We keep them bathed pretty regularly and I use shampoo that makes them act all crazy when the other dog is just out of the bath. So strange to see how the boy is just bonkers all over the little girl when she is fresh and clean. He just seems to loose it.:popcorn:

-Mark.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
Brisbane gets stinky in less than a week if he isn't washed. As per vet instructions his baths are less than a week apart. He is also allergic to poultry, eggs, pollen, and probably life in general, so the stink is probably related. He gets scaley spots and hot spots when he goes too long (>10 days) between baths. Briz was neutered at 16 weeks because he was humping every. ****ing. Thing.

Ru develops a doggy smell about once a year. He gets washed once a year. He was also neutered around 16-20 weeks.

I used to have a Chessie who would get pretty ripe if she wasn't swimming regularly in the summers or bathed regularly in the winters. I always assumed it was just accumulating coat oils.

Pip can get smelly when his allergies are flaring, but we bathe him regularly to help manage them anyway so it helps keep that under control.

Other than that, barring getting something on them or having a stinky ear infection or something, none of our dogs have or have had what I consider an odor.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia has a little bit of a stink to her and Summer does not at all. Summer never smells. Mia's you have to bury your face in her fur but it's definitely there. Poor Summer gets bathed whenever I bathe Mia and the only reason I do that is because Mia smells after a few weeks.

I actually kind of like Mia's smell but I think it's because I associate it with Mia and am totally biased because she's the best dog ever.

I've been around some dogs that really reek though. Thankfully none of mine have.

Fae is pretty "smell free". But Morrison and Leia both get a corn chip musky smell to them. They eat a high quality food (I can't do raw right now) and really Morrison has smelled like corn chips no matter what he is being fed.

Call me crazy. But I actually like their doggy smell :yikes::p. To be fair they don't REEK so bad that they need regular baths. It's more like a bury your face in their fur and you can smell that doggy smell lol.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
The poodles have no odor and Feist has a faint smell that I actually really like lol. And everyone in my house thinks she smells good sooo.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Finn's gotten a bit stankier as he aged. For the first few years of his life, he only had to be brushed about once a week and only bathed when he was really dirty or had rolled in something. Now, I bathe him almost once a month and brush him almost every second day, and he smells more "dog" than he ever has before. His coat is also harder to maintain in general. His diet is good and the coat is in good quality, so I have no idea - I just attribute it to age and keep him well-groomed.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Cajun is my only stinky dog and she is also the only intact dog. SO. Maybe correlation.
They all get bathed generally at least once a month, but she will smell doggy pretty much the next day. The other 3 have no smell.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
None of my dogs seem to have strong smells, hormonally intact or not. Snipe did have a musky smell when she was in heat before her OSS, but now doesn't.

Toller_08

Ripley got less smelly after his neuter but he still stinks. Not overwhelmingly, but he has a definite dog smell. Keira and Winston did too. I remember our Rottweilers also smelling more doggy, all were spayed. Not sure why. I'd say it's a short haired dog thing except that my friend's short haired dogs don't stink.

None of my coated dogs have a doggy smell. They always just kind if smell outdoorsy in a good way.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Oz stinks. Beagle/Hound stink. Doesn't help that he rolls in things.
But he even stinks right after a bath.
He's gross.

Cobain and Ruby smell like nothing, and Rigby still smells like shampoo from her bath nearly a month ago.

joce

Byron and gizmo were intact and not smelly. Blitz is fixed and has a vast aray of horrible smells that come off and from him. I think it is worse now that he has a love affair with the pond. Only reason I am looking forward to winter!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Pepper smells a bit and I always figured it was because she's intact, too, although Georgie doesn't smell. So I don't know why I attribute it to her being intact, LOL, except she does in particular smell pretty bad when she's in season. In fact, she just got a bath last week because I was like YOU STINK and then she started bleeding the next day so. :rolleyes:

If the boys smell, it's time for a bath, and that's only every two or three months depending on what we've been doing. Payton gets bathed and the full groom a bit more frequently since he sometimes needs to look pretty in public...

I don't know what it is but since Tulip (that's what I named the new gal) got here, Astro has had the rankest smelling pee. He still smells fine himself but man, his urine is disgusting. I hope that goes away....

Members online

No members online now.