Adult dog rehoming: any advice?

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Any advice for a big old baby of a 2 year old adult dog thats just been rehomed across the country and is basically being a scaredycat? Shes very snuggly to her new people, and loves their son, but has been slicking ears back and whale eye and running away from the other dogs, and mostly fusses and paces and wants to climb into everyones laps. Its been less than 24 hours so I figure this is normal for right now-- what can they do to help her get the **** over it, and about how long is "normal" for her to be so anxious before she really needs to just get over it? A few days? Input needed! :popcorn:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
She's been there for 24 hours??? I'd say that's INCREDIBLY normal, the stress of the flight alone!
They need to give her time. It's a big change, new people, new place, new environment/smells, and again, stress of actual moving.

I would ask them to have some empathy before they expect this dog to be "normal", it will be a process... some dogs adjust faster than others.

Ways to help? Comforting the dog, being on a routine, giving the dog a safe space like a crate where she isn't bothered, not pushing boundaries (let her get used to home/yard/small walks), I would lay off other dogs all together until she is comfortable and even then, baby steps.

The fussing and climbing is obviously just nerves and seeking comfort, I would just give her time since she is obviously at least bonding to these people.
Romeo also came to me as an adult and took a month before I think he felt at home.

IMO pushing her will makes things worse and expecting an adult dog to be totally normal after such a huge change after a few days is totally unrealistic. I would honestly question the competence of a home that would expect that.

I wouldn't expect MERLIN to be perfect/normal after a few days when he moves here, and that's with the SAME OWNER.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
She's been there for 24 hours??? I'd say that's INCREDIBLY normal, the stress of the flight alone!
They need to give her time. It's a big change, new people, new place, new environment/smells, and again, stress of actual moving.

I would ask them to have some empathy before they expect this dog to be "normal", it will be a process... some dogs adjust faster than others.

Ways to help? Comforting the dog, being on a routine, giving the dog a safe space like a crate where she isn't bothered, not pushing boundaries (let her get used to home/yard/small walks), I would lay off other dogs all together until she is comfortable and even then, baby steps.

The fussing and climbing is obviously just nerves and seeking comfort, I would just give her time since she is obviously at least bonding to these people.
Romeo also came to me as an adult and took a month before I think he felt at home.

IMO pushing her will makes things worse and expecting an adult dog to be totally normal after such a huge change after a few days is totally unrealistic. I would honestly question the competence of a home that would expect that.

I wouldn't expect MERLIN to be perfect/normal after a few days when he moves here, and that's with the SAME OWNER.
Oh they arent worried at all. Im the one freaking out and having hysterics. They have been doing all you say, shes got her kennel there with her blanket that smells like her and theyre not inflicting her with their other dogs yet. I just worry. A lot. I worry that because Iv had her since she was wet from the womb and shes always been a bit clingy and borderline-SA-ey, that she will permanently be unable to adjust to someone else and Ill have to go get her derpy ass. I tend to panic

okay so. 24 hours totally normal. what is not normal? a week? a month?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I'd say it would probably take a month or two for her to completely settle in with her new owners. It's a big change.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
okay so. 24 hours totally normal. what is not normal? a week? a month?
Dogs adjust at different rates but I would expect a formerly well adjusted confident adult dog to be ok after a month or two.
I think a month is the minimum IMO for rehomes if you are looking at total comfort/back to normal behavior and bond with the new owners.

The kind of nervous outward behavior (if this dog is well adjusted and confident normally) may very well stop in a week or less than that, but that depends on the dog totally, no way to tell.

I don't know about this dog, but when it comes to mine regardless of cuddliness or change of environment, the kind of comfortable stability that comes with being with people he TRUSTS takes time. Because the bonding takes more time than just getting used to surroundings.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
The 2 week shut down protocol isn't a bad idea to implement, too. I'd keep her separate from the other dogs with lots of down time in a quiet area, gradually add in controlled interactions with the other dogs (I <3 parallel walks for this) before throwing her in with them loose.

Members online