Simple tricks to teach a horse?

Saeleofu

So, part of my practicum is to teach one of our animals a behavior. I have horses, donkeys, cattle, pigs, yak, chickens, and probably some other animals I'm forgetting to choose from, but I REALLY want to train our American Cream Draft mare, because I'm in love with her and with the breed.

So, what are some cool things I could teach her? I absolutely don't have to limit it to one behavior, but I do need at least one reliable behavior and I only have few weeks to do it in. She's already halter trained and is pretty manageable. She is NOT trained to ride, and will not be trained to ride. I *think* she already has had experience with a target stick, but I'll have to double check. Training will most likely be done with the clicker.

THANKS!

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Smiling is a big one. I always wanted to teach Indie how to. It's pretty easy to "bribe" the behaviour as well... Indie would always show her teeth whenever I cleaned the edges of her nostrils with baby wipes.

Dekka

Just try me..
You can capture anything really with a clicker

But something fun and easy is 'touch'

Shake head no is also easy, tickle the ear with a bit of hay or straw. Horse will shake head-reward.

Velvet also nods yes, but I forget how I taught that, likely shaping. I also shaped her to remove things off her back and out of my hand.

If the horse is healthy a good bow is impressive. This is easistly done by lureing in stages. Take a treat and get the horse to follow it, eventually down through the front legs and back.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Ohh... I've been dreaming about clicker training horses lately.

I want to teach front end on a platform, pivot (or hind end awareness) on said platform, bow, and send to jump.

There are a few others, but I cannot remember them right now.

Members online

No members online now.