Leashes

Hi everyone! I have been struggling with my dog. He ruins all of his leashes. Every time we go on a walk he won't stop chewing on it. I'm getting really frustrated, and would like to buy a leash that is not destroyable by him.
Any suggestions?

BostonBanker

I use Genuine Dog Gear tug leashes almost exclusively. They are meant to be tugged on, and Gusto certainly does. I am not sure they would hold up to incredibly determined chewing, but they last years even with lots of tugging.

Toller_08

Teach him not to chew on his leash? I play tug with my dogs with their leashes, but no way would they be allowed to chew on them. I'd make sure he has a solid leave it and stop him and redirect him to something more appropriate. I'm not against spraying bitter apple on chewable items either. Stuff like that just doesn't fly in my house.

But otherwise, biothane is probably tougher to chew through than leather, rope or nylon.

DJEtzel

Depending on the width of the biothane, it is probably the easiest to chew through- the only downside. While working at a sanctuary, we tethered dogs with biothane and many got severed in a matter of seconds. Excited pit bull redirects have rendered mine useless as well. Leather or nylon would be a better alternative, but chain is the only one I would trust.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
if you are walking your dog and you are right there, why cant you stop him from chewing? like, physically stop him. dog teeth are going to be able to sever any leash material except chain and nobody likes to walk with a chain, its hard to hold and painful

I would also suggest just teaching him not to chew on the leashes by teaching a solid leave it/drop.

As far as my most durable leashes.. I would say the thick fleece/nylon leashes (often used for tugging by agility folk). But I still don't know if they would be indestructible if allowed to just gnaw on them..

The reason why I can't stop him is because every time I try to he takes it as a game and it gets carried on. Also I am simply not the greatest dog trainer, which is probably one of the biggest issues. I ordered a IDC Caoutchouc leash, and will spry it! I'm hoping for the best
Thank you for all your help!

milos_mommy

Except for a chain leash (which is super uncomfortable to use and can be heavy on a smaller/medium sized dog), he'll eventually be able to chew through anything. I find braided leashes tend to last longer, but unless you can train him to stop, you're just going to keep buying new leashes.

If the dog things you trying to stop him from chewing the leash is a game, you're definitely approaching it wrong. Have you considered taking him to puppy or dog obedience classes, even basic ones? If you're not a good trainer, they will help you a lot with that and other issues.

If he tugs on the leash, you need to stop walking him, and instead of trying to pull the toy out of his mouth, just turn away from him and ignore it. The first few times he might be chewing/pulling for a few minutes, but he'll soon start to look at you like "uh, why aren't we moving?". If you do this enough, he'll learn that chewing or biting on the leash means the walk stops. If you try to stop it by pulling the leash out of his mouth, pushing him away, or trying to tell him to stop or distracting him, he's going to think it's a game and that it gets him some attention. It's ok to say "NO", but keep the command short and simple and don't keep repeating it.

Will he carry a toy in his mouth? You can bring a stuff or a ball on walks and give it to him to hold whenever he grabs the leash, as well.

Walking him on a harness may improve it because the leash isn't as close to/dangling in his face, but he still might turn around and jump to grab it. I also wouldn't recommend this for a dog that pulls.

How old is he?

Members online

No members online now.