If you've owned/own a dog who has had a litter(s)?

Does/did your dog try and "mother" other dogs/animals?

Mysti (who had puppies before I adopted her) has decided the Dachshund mix is her "Puppy". She grooms him, plays with him and guards him.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I've had animals "mother" young babies (of any species) that are spayed and have never had a litter. So I don't think it really has anything to do with the fact if they've had a prior litter before. In my anecdotal-based opinion. Haha

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I have two who have whelped and the neutered dog is the one of them who mothers anything. Go figure. He's gentle - he nibbles and grooms. It's really kind of cute.

That said when they had litters one was what I consider Tiger mom for the first six weeks. It was HER puppy. Any other dog so much as looks at her puppy and they would die. She barely wanted my attention during that time and that puppy was spotless and doted on. Until 8 weeks it was constant attention and mommying.

The other bitch was done with this puppy thing after two weeks. She was a bit of a slob of a mom.

I have two who have whelped and the neutered dog is the one of them who mothers anything. Go figure. He's gentle - he nibbles and grooms. It's really kind of cute.

That said when they had litters one was what I consider Tiger mom for the first six weeks. It was HER puppy. Any other dog so much as looks at her puppy and they would die. She barely wanted my attention during that time and that puppy was spotless and doted on. Until 8 weeks it was constant attention and mommying.

The other bitch was done with this puppy thing after two weeks. She was a bit of a slob of a mom.
The first is what Mysti is like. Some days she leaves him alone, other days only Kieber exists for her.

Angel was very good with her puppies, and her daughter's puppies. But so was my dog Bailey (A shepherd/husky/collie mix) who was never bred.

Having no more puppies, Angel doesn't do the caring, but demands that others groom her and my other dogs I've had have guarded/protected her.

Fable has had a litter (not by my hand), and she is very mothering to puppies and little dogs. I don't know if she is like that because she had puppies or because that's just the dog she is, but it's really cute and makes her an awesome foster sister when I have foster puppies from the rescue.

With her babies:
IMG_1923 by fablethecattledog, on Flickr
IMG_1922 by fablethecattledog, on Flickr

And a foster puppy:
IMG_4665 by fablethecattledog, on Flickr

Romy

Taxiderpy
Kaia definitely became more mothering after having her litters. Recently I got some baby chicks. Kaia has decided they are HER baby chicks, because they are crying for a mother and obviously it must be her. She loves snuggling with them, and tried to grab them out of the brooder and trying to hide them in her crate. :rolleyes:

3 years ago she would have treated them like squeaky popcorn.

Members online

No members online now.