What is your favorite small dog breed?

amberdyan

40lbs and under makes a huge difference... I know border collies under 40 lbs. Hugo is only 41, lol.

But if we're talking seriously small dogs, I'm going with JRT or Rat Terrier. I also like whippets.

Well bred shih tzus have really hilarious personalities, so I like them. I have one :)

I honestly haven't been around enough small dogs to know. Most of the small dogs around here are crosses, and are HORRIBLE. I don't know if it's temperament, or owner issues. I suspect the owners.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Well, if we're counting Whippets as small dogs, then yes those are my favorite, lol.

Although I always counted Whippies as being medium sized... but to me, small is 15 and under. 25-50 is medium, 50-90 is large and 90+ is extra large.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I call Hank smedium at 21 lbs.

BCs are medium sized dogs to me. They can be tall.

Shelties can go either way- some are teeny and not much bigger than Summer and Mia. Other's are more like Hank in size and bone.

To me sizes are:

Toy/Tiny: < 10 lbs
Small: 10-20
Medium: 20-40

And then the rest are all lumped together as 'Too Big for Me'. :p

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Patterdales almost don't count as small dogs.

So other than them, I love Shih Tzus, Pekes, and now Poms.

LMost

I call Hank smedium at 21 lbs.

BCs are medium sized dogs to me. They can be tall.

Shelties can go either way- some are teeny and not much bigger than Summer and Mia. Other's are more like Hank in size and bone.

To me sizes are:

Toy/Tiny: < 10 lbs
Small: 10-20
Medium: 20-40

And then the rest are all lumped together as 'Too Big for Me'. :p
Toy/Tiny: < 20
Small: 20-40
Medium: 40-75
Large: 75 to 120
Big Dog = 120+
But then I'm a Mastiff owner so there is that general ref thing, I don't look at my 175ish 16 month old as big to me.

milos_mommy

If we're counting 40 and under...that's a LOT of breeds. Like 1/3 of the pit bulls that come through rescue are <40.

I consider small under like 25 lbs. It also depends on height to me though.

Under 40...American Eskimos, Brittany's, springer spaniels, welsh spaniels, BCs though I don't think I'd own one, Shelties, I forgot I also really like mini pins. German pinschers get around 40 I think.

I like schnauzers, would probably like Shelties more other than how sensitive a lot of them are, but I have had dogs that are sensitive and am fine with it, just not a trait I would be hoping for. I like jack Russells. I think I will love koolies from what I have seen and heard of them.

I wouldn't own a lot of small dogs, because I don't like dogs that are too fragile (also part of the reason I like terriers), I also am getting tired of having to be so careful with them (looking for wildlife like coyotes, eagles, owls, etc), them getting under my feet and me not seeing them/tripping over them, etc. so I am ready to move to medium dogs (~30-40lbs) from now on.

I like the terrier personality, but also like many herders.

Sparrow

Rook is 18lbs, but 17", so to me she's closer to medium. She'd be heavier with a fully muscled back end, of course.

I guess I think more of toy breeds when I think small. Going that route, I'd have to say Chinese Crested.

There's too many eagles in my area for me to want to have something smaller than Rookie-sized, I think.

Locke

My favourite small dogs that I want to own:

Toy Poodle
Chinese Crested Powder Puff
Pug
Boston Terrier
Border Terrier
Shih Tzu

My favourite small dogs I will likely never own:

JRT
Basenji
Shiba Inu
Chihuahua

Slick

Kristina
I think the only small dogs I would consider owning are Westies and Corgis. Of the two, I'd be most likely to own a Westie, considering how many Corgis I have met with temperamental issues. Which is really too bad, because I like the idea of Corgis a lot, just haven't met a lot of good representatives of the breed.

Westies are awesome dogs, I have loved all of the ones I have met.

I have loved every single pug, frenchie, and boston terrier that I've met so I'm gonna have to go with those. I think I'd like mini aussies as well given that I like the herdy dogs.

I like the sound of papillons too but I really haven't met very many to say if I actually like them or not.

Dekka

Just try me..
No one is at all surprised if I say JRTs.

I don't consider whippets small as they can be quite tall. But if they counted...

Cresties are awesome. I have met a quite a few chis lately that are winning me over. I like pugs and cavs. Some day I might want a norfolk or norwitch terrier. They are quite small but so scruffy and cute!

ETA of course paps too.

thehoundgirl

I don't really know that I have a favorite small dog breed. Not that I don't like them.. it just depends on the individual dog for me. I really like Schnauzers. Dixie is a mix and I love her personality.

I also like Pugs. I just find them goofy (they usually are the clowns of the small dog group besides terriers!) and sweet. Some can have more energy than others but I like that in a dog. And they are pretty clingy as well. I really like that in any dog. :p

I like Dachshunds too but I don't know that I would have one. They're a breed I like from afar. :) Same with chihuahuas, but it's not like I wouldn't own a dachshund or chihuahua.. It'd depend on the dog and the personality.

They can act tough haha. Most act tough but I have met some that act tough and are the littlest sweethearts you'd ever know. That's just how they are. So if one came along and we got along and I felt we just couldn't live without each other.. I'd definitely own one. My aunt's chihuahua acts tough but he really is a sweetheart!

Members online