Flyball boots for disc dogs?

krissy

Now that Kili has more vaults in her toolbox and we're playing more disc, I've been thinking about something for carpal support during practice. She doesn't have dewclaws so I think it's a little more necessary for her. I know a lot of people just wrap with vet wrap... and I have easy access to the stuff but I just don't really like it. I was thinking of flyball boots/wraps.

Any disc doggers have thoughts? Anyone have recommendations for where to get flyball boots?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
The only thing i know of that isn't built just for keeping pads from getting ripped off are the back on track leg wraps, they're less for support and more for healing (and they work pretty well, lots of dogs recovered from pastern injuries with these) though i don't know if you'd play with them on but i'm sure you could.

http://www.backontrack.com/ca/products/dog/leg-wrap/

krissy

The only thing i know of that isn't built just for keeping pads from getting ripped off are the back on track leg wraps, they're less for support and more for healing (and they work pretty well, lots of dogs recovered from pastern injuries with these) though i don't know if you'd play with them on but i'm sure you could.

http://www.backontrack.com/ca/products/dog/leg-wrap/
Thanks, I have both the carpal and hock wraps. I think they probably offer a little bit of support, but I figured there was something stronger out there. I assumed that flyball people put something on their dogs to help support the carpus with all of those repetitive hits on the box, not just to prevent tears and burns, but I really don't know much about flyball so that could very well have been an errant assumption. I know I've seen disc dogs wearing stuff on their legs as well, particularly for freestyle.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I use Z-Control Skid boots for flyball. But they do not provide carpal support. They just protect the stop pads from burning off and the dews from ripping off.
I had some of those for Briz back when I was still playing ball with him on grass. I think they've improved the design since then, mine are still around here somewhere with huge holes in the bottoms.

krissy

Thanks, that was great. There's an article in the comments about carpal support that was really informative, though far from conclusive. I guess over the next few years as more research goes into these things we'll hopefully know more.

I decided to try Z-control skid boots. They're made from neoprene so I see no reason why they shouldn't provide some support (the back on track carpal and hock wraps are also made from neoprene... as are the majority of human athletic support "braces"). I'm going to get a pair and we'll see. They're only $20 a pair so it's not going to break the bank if they don't work out. :)

Members online

No members online now.