Walking in the Dark

teacuptiger

floor dancer
JW what you all do/have for late night/early morning walks when it's totally dark out?

Personally, I use Nite Ize gear- their Nite Dawg collar, and a few of their SpotLit lights that I can hook to collars, harnesses, etc. I also have a Mendota Visi-Vest to cover Roxie from shoulder to her last rib.

So Roxie's pretty bright and reflective :)

For me, I have a head lamp and a high visibility vest (no idea what the brand is, as it's second hand) and that's it. I'm more interested in my dog being lit up than myself, lol. We walk on a busy country road with no sidewalks, so it's very important that we're visible enough, Roxie especially cuz she's a bit short.

What about you?

Nothing. Chomper's harness happens to be reflective, but wasn't seeked out. :p

If we do dark walks it's just around the neighborhood and so plenty of street lights and bright ass garage lights that blind you when they come on from you passing. :eek:

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Yeah, I kinda miss walking where there were streetlights and stuff. Here, if you don't have a thousand lights and reflective things, people are liable to not see you at all.

I used to only have a tag light (the nite ize spotlit thingies) and call it good. I never even wore a vest myself, till we moved.

Elrohwen

I just use a head lamp because my night walking happens on a walking trail that doesn't allow vehicles. The only real danger is that he could be hit by a bike, but a) I keep him on the dirt part and the bikes stay on the pavement, and b) if it's dark enough the bikers have head lamps too so I can see them coming.

If I were on streets with cars I would probably be a blinky light thing to attach to Watson's collar, or maybe a reflective vest. It really depends on whether there were sidewalks or not. With sidewalks and street lights I wouldn't do anything.

I walk a lot at night, and honestly we don't use anything but I stay on the sidewalks and paths-most the areas I walk are well lit with street lights. Now when I'm on my trike, I have that thing lighting up the street with headlight, flashing blinkers, reflective flag and when I do take Rip on runs with me, he'll have some bling too.

amberdyan

haha, when I first started reading this I was like... whoa... she's really serious about night walking. I didn't realize you live on gravel roads : p. We walk after dark sometimes and don't put anything on him because we live in town with sidewalks and lots of street lights. His harness does happen to be reflective. When we're visiting my parents who have lots of land on a gravel road he wears a blinky collar if we're outside at all, even just for a potty break. Mostly because I'm terrified of someone shooting him.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
They just have those NiteIze clip on lights on their collars. Our night walking is just through the neighborhood, but my dogs are dark and as a driver I know it's not always the easiest to spot people/dogs right away.

Before I got the lights for their collars, I usually just held my phone and had the flashlight turned on. That sucker is bright lol.

Snark

Mutts to you
Before the county 'improved' our hilly road by paving it, taking away any kind of shoulder and made the roadside ditches about 3 ft deep; I'd walk with clip-on flashing lights on me and the dogs, along with reflective leashes and light-up collars. I also have my baseball cap with the lights in the brim, which are pretty darned bright.
Back then I could hear cars coming half a mile away so I could get everyone off the road; but now there's no place to go when a car comes by, so it's just not worth the risk.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Yeah, this is the gist of what Roxie wears at night. The little tag light goes on her normal collar (just in case she somehow slips her harness) and I keep the orange collar blinking (it's also reflective)... the tag light can blink, but it is soooo obnoxious and I'm way too prone to migraines for that, lol. So that I just keep on a steady light.

In winter, I put two of the tag lights on Roxie's harness, because we're up when the snow plows are just getting out, and I'd really rather my dog not get eaten by them (although, I keep her in the grass for the most part, never know with some people).

I definately miss walking in a neighborhood, lol. Don't miss the loose dogs though! :) I mainly only got the tag light because Roxie's a bit night blind and that seemed to help, otherwise I never even used that or a flashlight.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Nothing, we prefer to lurk in the darkness like the unsavory characters we are.
This. I want to be LESS visible as a woman walking alone at night. I bulk up and try to have as dark and manly of a silhouette as possible. Whenever the opportunity, my preference is to walk a big black dog. We stop at every street, look for cars and people, etc.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
This. I want to be LESS visible as a woman walking alone at night. I bulk up and try to have as dark and manly of a silhouette as possible. Whenever the opportunity, my preference is to walk a big black dog. We stop at every street, look for cars and people, etc.
I used to be the exact same way. Which is why I only ever lit Roxie up... she looks enough like a pit bull to get people to stay away from her in the dark, but I'd be dark as possible myself. I also used to blast BMTH or BFMV or Asking Alexandria on my ipod.

I also kinda hope with all my lights and reflectiveness, coyotes stay the heck away from my dog and think she's a scary alien. So far we haven't had any as close as they used to get when we're walking all bright as heck, lol.

I decided I''ll just freshen this thread instead of the new one. We use our IDC harness that has the light-reflecting chest strap, and the always bright, interchangeable side labels. The harness also have torch holders, so you can place you little flashlights in there. Also we have the IDC Lumino leash that is glowing (phosphoresce) in the dark.

Elrohwen

I use a head lamp in the winter when I walk after dark. It's on a walking trail with no cars and very little bike/walking traffic once it's dark. There are no street lights. I don't bother putting anything on Watson because there aren't any cars.

Members online

No members online now.