Ok weird things about Dallas

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
When Dallas is lying down playing w/ one of his toys, and he sees me move he runs to me and jumps up and bits my knee.....now I don't know if this means something or what.....after he bites my knee he goes back to where he was and just keeps playing like nothing happened. Could this mean something?

Also when Dallas runs, he hunkers down and runs, like a wild cat sneaking up on something. I read that Pointer breeds and duck hunting breeds do this b/c its instict. So do you think its Dallas's duck hunting insticts coming out of him?
Any advice is welcome. :D

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
When he sees you run or walk or move right in front of him then it could be a mix of prey drive and curiosity. Wants to see what you're up to, what's goin' on, etc.

Prey drive- is exactly what it sounds like. When he sees prey or not necessarily prey but "something" move quickly by him he wants to run and catch it. It's in their nature- and since he's a retriever, it may be a little more defined.

Fran27

Boris was the same. The problem is that it wasn't as cute when he grew up, so when he started doing it I left the yard everytime. He's mostly grown out of it now, but if he's excited and starts running towards me, I'm still a bit worried, lol.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Oh I tell Dallas NO....I say it pretty loud...and he stops but he still does it sometimes. My grandma said to tell him NO and he might from it.

Also some great news on Dallas...I don't feel like making another post so I'll tell yall here.
He is doing great on his fetching and retrievering. I have one of those balls you put in the water and it fills w/ water, but I roll it in the house (dry of course) and I say "Dallas Fetch" and he does and he brings it back to me w/ out me telling him :eek: ..but I still say "Dallas Bring It Here" just so when he gets older he will know. Also when I play w/ him and he has a toy in his mouth I say "Dallas give it" and most of the time he does so yea we still gotta work on that. he is doing GREAT w/ the basic commands. He doesn't like the "down" command to much, I don't know why though. But he is doing good...and he's only 8 weeks old.
Everytime my grandma calls someone or someone calls her..and they know each other, then she says "yes Dallas is doing good and he is a very smart puppy for his age." Oh I fell like I did a good job training him, but Dallas gets 99.9% of the credit. :D

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
Dakota, how old are you? Just curious :) The training sounds like its going great, I haven't had a dog yet but I always wonder how difficult or easy it will be to train him.

:D

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
I will be 15 in January. Training is pretty easy once you and your dog get it right LOL. But Just read alot about training and the breed of dog you are getting.
Also what sex of dog are you getting what do you plan to name him/her? Just curious :D

Members online

No members online now.