Companion Dog

iriskai

Apparently posting "Mimi got her CD" in the musing/vent thread wasn't acceptable. :) Here's the whole story.

Mimi's breeder messaged me at the end of January saying if Mimi got her CD, she'd earn her Champion of Versatility title from the Whippet club, did I think we could do it? If I got it before a certain date, Mimi would get her CAV awarded at THIS upcoming National instead of next year's, which is cool because she's in the Top Twenty from 2014 breed standings. I'd thought about it, my original timeframe had been later, but why not!? So we went to two separate OB single day classes, practiced before agility class, and took a stab at it! Admittedly, she isn't very thrilled about obedience, neither am I, but I figured we could tough out three passable scores. 170 is the goal, anything else counts as bonus points!

Q'd our first two trials, we were the only Novice A entry so she did her group sits/downs alone. 186 and 186.5.

Next three trials (over a weekend) were a big fat hat trick of NQs. The first was both of us, I gave two verbal commands on her recall and NQ'd us and she dropped to a down on her sit/stay to make sure we were definitely NQ'd. Second trial that day she dropped her sit/stay again. New behavior there so we practiced that night in the hotel. Next day she got her sit/down stays but we NQ'd on her free heeling. Theoretically, she DID do it correctly, stayed on my left, came and sat in heel position, did the about turns etc., just did everything 5-8 feet behind me. Brat. It was entirely a case of "I know what you want, and I'll do it because you want me to, but you CAN'T make me happy about it."

I entered her 4 days over the Louisville cluster. If she was going to get her CAV this year she needed a Q this past weekend. I promised her if she got it Thursday, I wouldn't make her go back Friday-Sunday. She nailed it! Well, we got a chunk of points off her on-lead heeling as she free stacked and baited for one of the ring stewards instead of sitting both times around the figure 8 and got distracted during the about turn, but only 2.5 points off her free heeling!! I'll take that all day. Group sits.. she was next to a poodle puppy. We left them, got to the other side, turned around and the poodle immediately broke his stay to run across the ring. A couple seconds later, another one of the group broke. Mimi stayed, didn't drop, and I don't think I breathed the entire three minutes of the long down. Magic #3! Friday morning she came in season to make sure I held up my end of the deal. :)

We're collecting alphabet soup for her registered name. No Obedience photos, so.. here's a little selection of the stuff she did to earn her versatility title!

Agility! Only needs one more Open Jumpers Q for her next title.. then she's all Excellent, which is terrifying!

Race dog. She's actually slow, but she gets out of the box fast.

Conformation, she loves showing. Not the best stacked shot, ah well.

And a headshot, because I think she's gorgeous.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Congrats!!

SEE! What an awesome story! We didn't get all of that information in the musing thread. Way to go, Mimi!!

iriskai

Ha! I guess I posted on Facebook and didn't really think twice about elaborating here!

iriskai

Thanks, guys. I'm beyond proud of her. My 'just a pet'. :) Oops. A Whippet with a work ethic.

Members online

No members online now.