Favorite hiking shoes

I splurged last fall on a pair of good quality all-weather hiking boots. I went for Salomon, I'm not sure which model mine are. I've been liking them so far.

Elrohwen

I have two pairs of Merrells and I don't really like them. I wear one in the winter inthe parking lot at work so I don't ruin my shoes in the slush, but that's about it. They are very well made and fit well but I find them clunky.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I'm using these for the non hunting trail stuff. They're light and are standing up to the concrete, wet, mud, and still reasonably grippy on well worn paths. The only downside is that you really have to wear non cotton good socks - which will make you want to never buy cotton cheap socks again. I suggest smartwool.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...tt=XPG+shoes&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

For off the trail I'm wearing Danner Quarrys. They're expensive as they're well made, made in the USA, and a little heavy but they keep my feet going in deep duff full of sticks, nasty mud, and other pokey things.

I'm using these for the non hunting trail stuff. They're light and are standing up to the concrete, wet, mud, and still reasonably grippy on well worn paths. The only downside is that you really have to wear non cotton good socks - which will make you want to never buy cotton cheap socks again. I suggest smartwool.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...tt=XPG+shoes&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

For off the trail I'm wearing Danner Quarrys. They're expensive as they're well made, made in the USA, and a little heavy but they keep my feet going in deep duff full of sticks, nasty mud, and other pokey things.
Some other people also suggested getting Smartwool Merino Wool socks so I ordered a pack. They are so expensive, I am unsure if I would ever consider replacing my normal socks for them! But everyone makes comments that once you try them they wont go back to a normal sock. But if they keep my feet hot I won't like them! I guess I will just have to try them out and see how I like them!

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I find my feet stay cooler and warmer at the same time in a good wool blend than in cotton which traps water which means my feet both have a harder time staying warm and staying cool.

They are expensive but good shoes work so much better with good socks, less great shoes work better in good socks too. Funny how it works that way.

BostonBanker

I have two pairs of Merrells and I don't really like them. I wear one in the winter inthe parking lot at work so I don't ruin my shoes in the slush, but that's about it. They are very well made and fit well but I find them clunky.
I have a pair of some type of Merrill sneakers, and I really want to love them. They are pretty and actually a nice weight and fairly comfy. But holy crap. I have fallen more than once in them, and had a couple of near-miss serious falls. The traction looks like it should be good, but they just do not work on the terrain around here.

I still use the shoes around town and such, but they don't get used for agility or trail walking anymore. Back to my Nike.

Elrohwen

Some other people also suggested getting Smartwool Merino Wool socks so I ordered a pack. They are so expensive, I am unsure if I would ever consider replacing my normal socks for them! But everyone makes comments that once you try them they wont go back to a normal sock. But if they keep my feet hot I won't like them! I guess I will just have to try them out and see how I like them!
I adore SmartWool socks. I wear them all winter (layered because our house is freezing). EMS often has buy 3 get one pair free sales. I just got more tonight! I also wear their minimalist socks with my Sperry's in the summer and those are the only socks I wear. I haven't worn regular cotton socks in a couple years. Even with so much wear most pairs last 3-5 years at least.

Elrohwen

I have a pair of some type of Merrill sneakers, and I really want to love them. They are pretty and actually a nice weight and fairly comfy. But holy crap. I have fallen more than once in them, and had a couple of near-miss serious falls. The traction looks like it should be good, but they just do not work on the terrain around here.

I still use the shoes around town and such, but they don't get used for agility or trail walking anymore. Back to my Nike.
Yes! Exactly! They work well in the snowy parking lot but I've rolled my ankles mutiple times on the tamest flattest trails. They seem like exactly what I want but I just don't really like them.

I adore SmartWool socks. I wear them all winter (layered because our house is freezing). EMS often has buy 3 get one pair free sales. I just got more tonight! I also wear their minimalist socks with my Sperry's in the summer and those are the only socks I wear. I haven't worn regular cotton socks in a couple years. Even with so much wear most pairs last 3-5 years at least.
What is EMS? Can you link me to the "minimalist" socks you like? I will definitely wait for sales if I decide I like them and want to replace my current socks with them! I've actually been wanting new socks as I've been needing to get better ones that last longer..

Members online