Crate Training help

Hey Guys,

I am hoping to find a bit of help and tips with crate training. my 7 week old puppy seems to not be scared of his crate. I am wondering where the best place to put it is. We are a family of 5 with at least 1 person (mother) mostly always home. I live in the basement so I was thinking of leaving it there so I can tend to it at night if need be. But during the day time, while I am gone to work, should it be kept down there and only let out by someone else then put back in his crate? or would he learn to hate it. I don't really like the idea of having my dog roam the house free with my mother and her dog because that is asking a lot of my mother to be watching it steady, and also I don't want my dog to become a mini me version of her dog hehe :p ( too much of a house dog for me).

I am just wondering if having her taking it out to play and pee during the day and returning it into the crate would make him hate the crate? or would he grow accustomed to that routine?

It would probably good for him to have potty breaks during the day, and taking him out and putting him back in after a little certainly won't make him hate the crate. I like to throw treats in the crate when I'm first getting a dog used to it so they have a positive association with it. You may even want to feed him in there just to reinforce that it's a good thing. It doesn't matter too much where you put the crate, but I always like to put it in a quiet room where a lot of people aren't going in and out so that he can fall asleep and won't bark. Hope this helps!

Members online