Advice on Situation

rockandroh

Here's a long story, but I really need some help!
I found these two adorable dogs while jogging at a park. One was a female Maltese and the other a male Terrier. I took them home and posted tons of flyers all over, but no one came forward. I fell in love with them but, I already have 2 adorable dogs and can't handle any more pets. I took them to the vet and found out that the Maltese has an Epilus (tumor of the gums) on her right side of her upper teeth growing. I didn't want to give them to animal control so for three weeks, I searched for animal rescues but all were full. I continued asking around if any good animal lovers would be willing to adopt them. My request was to give them lots of love, be inside dogs, keep them healthy, and just treat them like a family member. One of my good high school friend was willing to adopt them both together even though the Maltese has an Epilus. I was so excited and happy for them because I know her. She assured me that she's going to give them what I requested and have them spayed and neutered and get rid of the Maltese's Epilus. When I arrived at her house, I repeated what needs to be done and how to care for them. I even got an estimate for the Epilus removal for her for about $150. I told her to comb their fur daily because it can get matted easily and also told her to use baby wipes to clean them up after they come back in from outside. She was happy and reassured me again by asking questions and telling me about the vet that she used to go to. She said she's going to take them there instead because it's closer to her house.

Yesterday was the first time I visited them since I gave them to my friend. When I arrived, I saw them in the backyard. When I went out there, I couldn't believe what I saw. They looked so filthy. The Maltese's white fur was dark gray with matted fur. There were knots near her eyes! The terrier was dirty, but didn't have any knots due to a different texture of fur. My heart broke. I was devastated. I didn't express how I felt and kept my cool. My friend is a nice person and I didn't know what to do or say. I was afraid if I told her, she wouldn't let me visit them. I know everyone has a different definition of what a dog is to them. Some may think all they need to do is give dogs food and some attention, others treat dogs as a family member. I fully understand that, but this is unacceptable with their appearance like that. From the way they look, I knew they haven't gotten a shower for probably a month or more. I believed they lived outdoors too and their personalities were slightly different from the time I had them. The Maltese still has her Epilus. All this time, I kept on contacting her and got good updates from her thinking that the dogs were happy and have a nice warm bed. And now I'm really disappointed and sad. I know her family are good people, but I don't know how to approach this situation without hurting each other. I want to tell her badly why the dogs are in a different situation than I imagine. I now want them back in a loving home and really want to get rid of the Epilus that the Maltese has. They don't deserve this.

I was thinking of asking her to keep the dogs inside and washing and grooming them regularly, but I already told her to do these things. What are the chances of her listening to me when I told her about it before? I'm not sure how to approach this situation without her getting mad at me and not letting me come over or giving up the dogs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

thehoundgirl

I would suggest to her to get a grooming schedule for them. Wiry and long haired dogs need grooming and it shouldn't offend her with your advice. We take our Schnauzer mix to the groomer regularly to get bathed and groomed. We can't really brush her as a comb can get stuck in her fur as it's wiry so she gets shaved down at the groomers. :)

crazedACD

Hmmm..it doesn't sound like the easiest situation. Maybe you can sit down with her and express your concerns, ask if the dogs are too much for her and could you take them back? I would ask if there is a reason they are being kept outside (not housebroken?) and go from there. Try not to make her defensive, just explain you are concerned for the dogs.

joce

Maybe she is overwhelmed? Just ask if it was to much and if she needs a break. Maybe she will get the hint or ask for suggestions or you can take them and help groom and set up and appointment for vet stuffs.

When I used to pull from the pound on my own and a dog was healthy I occasionally had someone want it right away I knew. Fine. Appointment made at vet couple days later, I keep till then and you pick up from vet. Solves the will they or won't they.

You can be upfront to. Dogs look like crap and they need vetted now. I can let some dirty hair go. But Matts hurt and if they need fixed and they are not attentive that's not a good mix.

Donna Hill

It is so wonderful to see people care for dogs they way you do.
I would be upfront with her and tell her you are disappointed with the way she is caring for the dogs. Almost all dogs need to live indoors with people.
You could ask to have them back, especially if no papers were signed to make her the new legal owner. Is she really that nice if she is treating the dogs that way when she told you she would treat them another?
Sadly, we often learn the hard way about how different people treat their dogs than we do, even if they are friends. In my experience, if you don't get them back and re-home them, the dogs could quite likely end up back on their own in a year or two and someone else end up picking them up.

This is exactly the reason that it is better to go through a rescue or an organization and then there are signed ownership papers and contracts of how to treat a dog. That way, if they have signed a contract, the dogs can be re-homed to someone who is willing to care for them in the way that is stipulated. At the very least, writing up a contract for them and you to sign protects everyone involved. Sad as it is, friends often tend to be the ones who take advantage of such situations as they think that their friends won't step up to the plate and make them accountable for their behavior.
Did you get her to sign anything saying she would adopt them or keep them in the manner you described to her?
Good luck.

rockandroh

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it. I was going to talk to her today and give her some hints, but it ended up the other way around. She gave me a call today and said her landlord came by to pick up the rent money and gave her a notice that he is no longer allowing pets due to problems with his other rentals that had dogs. She wants me to help her find a home for them so I told her I'll take them back. Sounds like an excuse, but as long as I get the dogs back I don't really care. It's funny how a friend turns out to be the opposite of what you think when dealing with animals. This experience will surely help me out in the future when I help out shelter/abandon dogs.

Members online

No members online now.