What's your dogs growl like?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Play growl that is?

Bodhi is loud, and deep and mean sounding.

Fred has the most pathetic sounding play growl ever.... It's so stupid it's funny. If a dog could sound like a nerd, or a wuss, he does. He sounds like a kazoo lol

Giny

Kassie sounds like a trapped mosquito and Tilly has never play growled, ever, since living here. She doesn't growl at all, in fact, I've heard her once, a few years ago, growling at Kassie for her food and it surprised me.

LOL at nerdy Fred.

Catsi

Abby's is a really deep 'Grrr' which almost, almost turns into a purr. Well, with lots of stopping and starting and sounds of breathing mixed in. She is a growler with us and with Grace when she plays. This growl is usually in anticipation of play.

She also has a 'arrr, arrr, arrr' which is much less guttural when playing.

Grace is less growl-y - she has more of a squeal (not quite as high-pitched). She's a talker, but not a growler really.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Summer don't play. Ok, well on occasion she and Mia will wrestle but Summer 'wrestling' is more like Summer flailing around on her back and mia biting her.

Mia plays...but she doesn't play growl at all. She's either screaming or silent (and super concentrated). Play is kind of an intense thing for her.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I should add that Beau sounds rabid when he's playing, lol. A rabid tasmanian devil maybe? It's a terrible, terrible noise.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Enzo sounds dumb. Like she's not really growling, but like, almost humming. More often she'll moan and grumble though.

Ozzy and Indy sound like they're going to kill the other dog. Jones, I don't know yet, haven't heard him growl, and Knox doesn't get to play, but his growl in work is very serious.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Lol, Fred growling at a pony moonwalking to fleetwood mac on tv is MUCH more manly! Proper deep growl.

His play growl is so camp.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Wesley doesn't really growl when he's playing. Sometimes he kind of huffs when tugging, but other than that, nothing.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
I should add that Beau sounds rabid when he's playing, lol. A rabid tasmanian devil maybe? It's a terrible, terrible noise.
Basically what Cali's growls sound like, she scrunches her nose up too and it's adorable... but somewhat demon-ish.

She doesn't growl when she plays with other dogs though, just playing tug with me.

If I didn't know Squash, his play growl would terrify me. It's like a cross between a freight train and a roaring lion, and he has a tendency to charge across the yard at you when he's doing it. (His serious/means business growl, which I've heard exactly twice in his life in circumstances where I was glad he had my back, is an equally terrifying deep bass rumble.)

Pip has a high pitched play bark that is incredibly annoying. And I'm sure the neighbors will call AC on Maisy's play growl any day now, to report the dog fighting ring in my backyard.

Well, Goblyn's name is Goblyn for a reason and one of these days I'll take a video. It sounds just like this Tasmanian devil, only, uh...more like, if the Tasmanian devil was being strangled at the time. Or something. Yeh, I think that would be much more accurate.

[YOUTUBE]KsOjkvZ1KJg[/YOUTUBE]

None of our dogs growl... on occasion my house dog will growl/mumble/whine to let me know if someone is walking around outside, but only if the door is closed and he cant check and see who/what it is.

Other than that they are all pretty silent growl wise.

Kind of half hearted, low, not terribly blood curdling (last I heard it anyways - it might have changed over the past few months). I'm sure it'll be more serious sounding as she gets older lol.

Aiden's is pretty horrifying. Sounds like a wolf in a movie. I only hear it when he is guarding a toy/treat from another dog (which goes along with a huge lip curl), if a creepy stranger approaches my car when he's crated in the back, or when he's on the bite sleeve (a problem we try to fix).

Don't think Freckles or Penny really growl at all. And puppy hasn't yet :)

FG167

Aiden's is pretty horrifying. Sounds like a wolf in a movie. I only hear it when he is guarding a toy/treat from another dog (which goes along with a huge lip curl), if a creepy stranger approaches my car when he's crated in the back, or when he's on the bite sleeve (a problem we try to fix).

Don't think Freckles or Penny really growl at all. And puppy hasn't yet :)
Kastle growls like that, it's very impressive. He only does it when someone looks like they might approach the house before he goes into a full fledged bark. I have never heard him growl in any other context so far.

Eden's is feminine and kind of cute. She growls at everything though - toys, other dogs, people coming up to the door etc. It's a talkative sort of growl and usually ends on a question.

Limit doesn't know what he's doing yet. We're in the midst of a fear period so he starts off impressive and then ends on a squeak or a high pitched bark lol. He's starting to mimic Kastle more though which is giving him more confidence in appropriate places.

Crystal has a deep "man" growl. She always sounds far bigger than she actually is. It also doesn't really sound like a growl, but more of an extended bark.

ETA: as far as context goes, I've heard Crystal growl in only a few occasions. It is usually when a "suspicious" looking stranger is coming near (aka a guy with a big puffy coat or an extremely large man/stranger) or when she is alerting us to a stranger coming near our house (and this is usually just a "pre-bark" growl.)

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Kitty has the angry mastiff + roaring lion growl when she plays. Tori is silent. Kitty also has a hugely roaring angry bark when someone is at the door. Sounds like a pissed Mastiff, yet shes a fat old AmBully and is probably all of 40 lbs and 15" tall. Tori is still silent about the door. The only time shortstuff vocalizes is when shes kenneled, she does the rabid monkey/dolphin/kookaburra/demon/staffy scream that makes me want to pull her out and murder her on the spot *shudder*

Saeleofu

Gavroche's is funny, kind of choppy and dorky. Logan just makes wookie noises lol

StillandSilent

Gambit's growl is very low and quiet. He never snarls, just that low rumbling growl. It's honestly a little frightening.

Members online

No members online now.