Brachycephalic disadvantage

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I have a question about one of the challenges my poor dog faces in her daily life, due to her sad smooshed face.

She's fed Sojos but she has a hell of a time eating it. She has THIS bowl, but for the most part a bunch of the food gets smashed into the "corners" and she has a really hard time licking it all out. And she pretty much pushes the bowl through the entire house as she's trying to lick it all up.

So we have a spare bowl that is similar to THIS, which we thought might make it easier for her since it is shallower and more rounded, so maybe the food wouldn't get smashed and stuck around the edges. Well this bowl is just too shallow and she ends up pushing the food OUT and onto the floor. :rolleyes:

Which puts us back to the complicated-but-not-messy bowl, but it's still just not the greatest option. I am assuming this issue is because of her nose shape. Anyone have any brilliant suggestions so she can have an easier time eating, without getting food everywhere? :)

Saeleofu

I don't think it has to do with her face at all. Logan does the same thing, but Gavroche has no issues.

I put bowls into a bowl-holder so they CAN'T push the bowl around. Not an elevated feeder, just a holder I got at Menards. Like this: http://www.petshoponline.ie/index.php/double-diner-wire-frames-with-two-dishes. I also have them against the wall to prevent more movement, and on a place mat so if stuff falls out they can just lick it off the mat.

Mine don't seem to have trouble getting it out of the bowl. But they do grab a mouthful, walk about 5 ft away from the bowl, and then spit it out on the floor. Then they'll eat it piece by piece off the floor. Lucy sometimes forgets to finish her slobbery pieces on the floor before she goes back for more, so Joey walks over to clean up after her. My dogs are weird.....

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Pull on her nose. Every single day.
:lol-sign:
This is the brilliance I was looking for!

I put bowls into a bowl-holder so they CAN'T push the bowl around. Not an elevated feeder, just a holder I got at Menards. Like this: http://www.petshoponline.ie/index.ph...ith-two-dishes. I also have them against the wall, and on a place mat.
Something like that might work! She'd probably still have to work at it a bit, but it'd make it easier for her if the bowl would stop moving.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Mine don't seem to have trouble getting it out of the bowl. But they do grab a mouthful, walk about 5 ft away from the bowl, and then spit it out on the floor. Then they'll eat it piece piece off the floor. Lucy sometimes forgets to finish her slobbery pieces on the floor before she goes back for more, so Joey walks over to clean up after her. My dogs are weird.....
Are you talking about kibble? Cause I mean, Rosey's fine with kibble... but anything sojo-texture she's screwed.

For the record, we do have a holder. She still pushes it around.

Gage does it too, and he has a full English mastiff type muzzle. I had to buy him mixing bowls from Walmart, and feed him in a corner so the thing stayed in mostly one place. Bristol, on the other hand, who is brachycephalic being a Shih Tzu, has no problem eating out if any dish, as long as its shallower, I use cat dishes.

GipsyQueen

Gipsy had the same problem... and didn't have a smooshed nose. :p Food usually ended up everywhere because she felt the need to eat alllll the food in 0.5 seconds. :p Her porcellen (sp?) seemed to help though, because it was heavy and she couldn't push it through the entire kitchen like her metall bowl. Due to it staying in one place she was able to eat every thing.

milos_mommy

Yup, it's probably not her face, it's probably her enthusiasm.

Put the bowl in a corner is the best solution I've found. You can use a no slip mat, too, but a corner works best.

Grab

Nog's fine with all textures of food and his face is pretty flat:p He has a lower, flat bowl in general, but he's eaten out of all shapes of bowls. (because he is a little thief)

crazedACD

What about something like this? It's smooth, no 'corners' in the bowl, and the ceramic makes it heavy enough not to push.

Or a low profile, wide ceramic dish.

Neater Feeder.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Well I'm glad she doesn't need to be self conscious about her face. :p

I do put her bowl in the corner but she still gets it out and pushes it everywhere. Guess we'll have to play around some!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Guess what... all I had to do was add a little more water to it so it wasn't so thick :rofl1: She snarfs it all up in record time now, without any complications :p

Members online

No members online now.