Talon almost chocked to death

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Well, the "best" part of a "perfect" day ( >_< ) was Talon almost killed himself by choking.

The food in in a bin on the ground in the closet. It usually has a lid, but someone left not only the lid off, but also the closet open. So I go into the room and there's Talon munching on his stomach full of kibble. Great, so I automatically tell him to get out as I know he'll eat the entire bag if he can. This was a seriously bad move.

He decides to try to inhale as much food as possible. I picked him up and moved him away from the food so I could close the lid and closet, but when I put him down he started making the movements like he was puking, but without any noises.

I was a bit concerned so I looked closer and realized that he was choking. The food had lodged in his throat and completely cut off his air supply! :eek:

I had a customer who's dog did something similair and started choking and the dogy Heimlich and massaging the throat worked so I tried that, but it wasn't working. David came over and patted his back as I was massaging his throat trying to dislodge it in any way possible, but it wasn't working. He started going limp and at this point we started panicking.

David picked him up threw him on the bed and stuck his finger down his throat as a last ditch effort. Talon at this point went completely limp. David had to do it three times before it finally worked. Talon vomited up the food, but before it could even get out of his mouth he swallowed it again. >_<

Apparently he refused to give up the food he stole, even though it tried to kill him. Thanks Talon. David and I almost had a heart attack, I was nearly in tears, but at least he is super happy. :mad: :rolleyes:

It was a close call but it is a relieved his okay and still breathing. It's just funny that those foods almost kill him but still he swallowed them all again.

milos_mommy

That is scary! My boss's lab actually choked to death in front of her BF on a piece of a tennis ball...it was horrible. A good reminder for everyone to stay up-to-date on heimlich and CPR procedures...I'm really glad your story turned out ok.

I had to heimlich Argon once. After years of consuming raw with no problem, the brat dog choked on....wait for it.....a chicken tender. Not a bone within 10 miles, but he managed to choke anyway.

The worset part was, once it flew out of his mouth and he was able to draw a breath, he immeadialty started struggleing to get free so he could eat it again!

Glad the baby is safe.

SaraB

That is super scary!

Zuma choked on raw steak once, luckily as I was picking her up to head to the e-vet (her airway wasn't 100% blocked, she was screaming), it dislodged the piece and she was fine.

Locke

How scary!! So glad you were able to save him!

Next time though (and this goes for humans too), do not pat the back!! That can make the piece go further down the airway.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Thanks everyone, that was probably one of the scariest things I've ever seen! I was ok and calm-ish until he went limp and I could see him fading away. That was the point I started panicking. I'm just super glad it turned out ok! :)

:yikes:
Super scary! Thank goodness he is okay though.

Geeze Talon, there is going to be another meal in a few hours y'know.
I know, you'd think he would realize that! >_< He's still getting fed three times a day, with two meals in his kong wobbler or rolley treat ball. He just eats so fast all the time! >_< idk what to do with this dog.

That is scary! My boss's lab actually choked to death in front of her BF on a piece of a tennis ball...it was horrible. A good reminder for everyone to stay up-to-date on heimlich and CPR procedures...I'm really glad your story turned out ok.
God, that's terrible! :( I honestly thought he was going to die, nothing was working. That's probably one of the worst feelings in the world, to have to stand by while your dog is dieing and nothing you do works. :(

I had to heimlich Argon once. After years of consuming raw with no problem, the brat dog choked on....wait for it.....a chicken tender. Not a bone within 10 miles, but he managed to choke anyway.

The worset part was, once it flew out of his mouth and he was able to draw a breath, he immeadialty started struggleing to get free so he could eat it again!

Glad the baby is safe.
LOL, glad at least Talon isn't the only one who tried to eat it again! :p

That is super scary!

Zuma choked on raw steak once, luckily as I was picking her up to head to the e-vet (her airway wasn't 100% blocked, she was screaming), it dislodged the piece and she was fine.
So many choking stories, darn dogs need to learn to chew, not swallow >_< lol Horrible thing is this was at night and the nearest e-vet is 45 mins away, there's no way he would've made that. :(

How scary!! So glad you were able to save him!

Next time though (and this goes for humans too), do not pat the back!! That can make the piece go further down the airway.

Everything I've ever read says to use your palm to give swift, decently hard whacks on the back between the shoulder blades to dislodge it. His legs where up in the air, like a wheelbarrow position, while we did this.

Grab

Jules, too, choked on food. He inhaled a piece of raw lamb because he's a little pig. In moments, he was on his side, limp. I had to heimlich him. Frightening.

I gave Remmy a treat when I got into my Van and instead of chewing, he gulped it down, went stiff as a board and fell over not breathing. I grabbed him up and luckily it dislodged and he started breathing. I was lucky it was not a little smaller or it would have really got stuck. It is really scary when you know they cannot breathe and could die.

Members online

No members online now.