APril 1 is Victor's found day

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
in 20 minutes we will go to bed with a blanket right out of the dryer, i believe that is close to the top of his favorite list. I am going to try to do as many of his favorites as we can in one day. we will have a park run, share a pizza, we are going to the guild anyway so i thought maybe we could have a little party there. Complete with lorne doons his favorite cookies. 4 years ago this was such an important day, and i have counted myself lucky as can be ever since.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Happy Found Day Vic!!!!!!!

You are so lucky to have such a good mom as well as Mary & Pepper for your sisters!

Hugs & kisses to you!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
4 years ago i was a total mess of sadness and so was Mary mum. I told this to VIc last night as i wrapped him all up in his toasty warm blanket. I had been looking at petfinder for about a week but had seen no dog that struck my heart. This day i pulled up a page and there he was..I KNEW this was THE one, they called him matthew. I called the number and was told "this number is no longer in service" and i was dumbstruck. I thought it the meanest april fools joke ever i had tears as i sat looking at the picture. I called my friend Kelly and she said DONT GIVE UP. SO i called the sheriff's office of the small town he was posted in. Sometimes like Platte CIty there is no shelter and the vet office and the polic station work together but they didn't know who this dog was and had no idea whom i was speaking of when i said "save_our_strays". I tried the vet's office but it was closed. I called Kelly back and told her. SHe in the meantime had looked up save_our_strays on the net and found the fundraiser was Connie Guthrie, she had an internet address. I wrote her that Mary and I were two mothers without a baby boy to love anymore, that i didnt' have the adoption fee, but i did have a talent and i could trade pet portrait gift certificates, i offered her three. SHe said that would be fine and did i want her to bring him out, i said no I would come get him.

My daughter and i rode out, it was about an hour and half's drive. WHen we got there i saw this ugly, long legged, wild eyed, smelly pup and i thought Oh LORDY its' a good thing i made my mind up from his picture because i sure wouldn't have looking at him. SO we got in the car and her rubber necked with his wild eyes all he could see as we went down the road. He had a bowl movement in the back seat which we stopped and took care of. Jess did her best to hang on to him and we laffed at the rediculousness of the whole situation. His neck seemed like it had no bones. When a tractor trailer would go by his head seemed to swivel all the way around.
ONce home i washed him, wrapped him up in warm towels, and took him to the feather bed where Mary was sleeping. THis was the only time he was to be calm in the next e6 months. I laid him down and he snuggled up to Mary warm i think for the first time in quite a while. He closed his eyes and i got the camera. IT went click..his eye opened and that was the end of sleep as i knew it for weeks. He wouldn't sleep, he wouldn't eat, he wouldn't hold still, he wouldn't stay down. I was beyond belief at what i had got myself into. He had screaming nightmares that had me singing him Who's afraid of the big bad wolf. YOu couldn't reach for a toy without him biting through your hand. He had issues on top of issues. I knew he was smart, it took only one day to housetrain. IF he would ONLY HOLD STILL!!!! I finally wrapped him in a sheet until he couldn't move rocked him while praying the OMMMMM, i was sleep depraived and desperate for him to just hold still for one minute. WHen i said the ommmmm it was the first time he looked me in the face, and his body relaxed. Why it worked i don't know but it did. It was the first time i could get a good look at his buggy alien eyes. I will never forget how his body stopped freewheeling and relaxed, how he studied my face while i studied his. We worked our way through each one and now i am the luckiest girl ever. That's his story. This was taken day two..because he is white it is hard to see how sharp his bones were. http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=10403&cat=500

Mary liked him well enough as a guest but when she found out he was staying she wouldn't talk to me for three weeks.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I sent my thanks to Connie this morning..i thought i would share her two e-mails she sent me. I don't think she would mind :)

VICTOR IS THE REASON to rescue.

God Bless you and Victor, ALWAYS.

Connie

P.S 6 years ago next wee, April 21, 2002, was when our daughter, Stephanie 23, died.

She helped me start Save Our Strays, Inc. She would be SO proud and happy with Victor. As I am.

and my second e-mail

To All My Friends.

Today I received this most wonderful email from one of our "rescues".

This could not have come at a better time.

I have wondered so often, if I did the right thing. Gave my life completely to helping the dogs and cats that no one else cared about.

Victor, was at the Lexington Mo city animal pound. In 1998 I told Lexington MO that I would take all their dogs and cats. They otherwise was killing them. I kept my promise until 2003, when I had moved over 80 miles away.

Victor was one of the last dogs that I drove that 80 miles to rescue.

Connie

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Awww! That was such a touching story. And a big thank-you to Connie, too. She helped bring you and Vic together.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
SHe saved so many i am afraid to say the number without double checking but it is incredible. WHen she says she gave her life for this, i believe every word. I have tried so hard to pay it forward. I hope one day to be able to see her again and let Victor see her too. It would be wonderful.

Members online