Pet insurance rip off

G

gkavet

Do not purchase pet insurance from Veterinary Pet Insurance (petinsurance.com). We submitted a claim in October and were unable to get a response despite more than two months of calling, faxing and emailing. The claim was eventually denied based on a completely unrelated "preexisting condition".
Veterinary Pet Insurance is only interested in getting payment for a few months until a claim is made. Then they do everything they can to make you give up on the claim so they do not have to pay. Save your money and avoid Veterinary Pet Insurance.

Hi GKavet,
Welcome to Chazhound Dog Forums !!!

It is awful that a business would take advantage of people and our
four legged friends. Please read your agreement with the company
first to make sure the company is in violation with the services you
agreed to. Sometimes they hide stuff in the fine print...

If you feel the company has wronged you, please provide more information
so that we can contact the company for a response or clarification.
We want to know companies that are doing the dogs wrong, but we also
want to give them an opportunity to address the accusations. There is
always two sides to every story. This will also give credibility to the information
provided in these forums.

Thanks much and again 'Welcome to Chazhound Forums!!!'

Chazhound

First, what state do you live in? Their underwriter, National Casualty Company in Madison, WI, must be licensed by your state's regulatory board for insurance, since it writes all policies in states outside California. Your state's regulatory board is your first line of attack.

According to VPI's website information, they are endorsed by the American Humane Society. There's another front to attack on.

Above all, do go over your policy with a fine toothed comb. I'll look into the coverage information on their site in the next few days, and maybe we can come up with something.

By the way, was your vet familiar with the company before you tried to use it?

I agree

I asked my Vet about insurance and asked if it was the same as American health insurance or Canadian care insurance where if you make a few claims your rates get cut off or jacked up. He agreed that yes, they will keep raising your rates if you make claims. When I got Jet, I got the basic policy for accidents for his first year or so and I have emergency insurance attached to his microchip in case he gets lost or hurt. I decided rather than have a health insurance plan, I would open a bank account for him and put money in there for emergencies.

I had insurance from VPI in the past...I had no problems with claims or anything..I always got payment back...I think I only used it 3 or 4 times and they hiked up my premium...However, I did cancel the policy eventually...I get a letter from a collection agency saying I owe VPI $75 or something like it...I look at my bank statements and they did indeed take it out of my account even though they said they did not receive payment...What made me wonder is why didn't they call/e-mail/send a letter saying that they did not get payment..They made no effort to contact me...I had to fax them a copy of my bank statement and it was resolved...I cancelled anyway because I did not trust them...It took them 4-5 months after the fact to send me a letter saying that it was taken off of my credit report and no harm was done...Needless to say I will NEVER use their services AGAIN...

Staff online

Members online