Training Plans

SpringerLover

Do you keep a record of training?

I'm terrible at record keeping, like I can barely keep track of trial results. I am equally as bad about keeping training records. I'll go in streaks where I keep really detailed notes (# correct vs # incorrect mostly) and then there are times like now where I just work on behaviors throughout the day with a goal in mind for each session. I am currently working on refining Siri's heel position and stands. And I'm working to get better duration for Gabby's heeling and stays.

I always wish I had better notes for when training sessions don't go as well. But I just am not good about it!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
My work is coming up with an app for this :D

But I don't know/think it will be for general public use.... Basically it tracks your plan (so sit/stay, how far you are from dog, position of dog (ground, on object, etc), distractions present, on/off leash, duration, location) and you just say yes this was successful or no this wasn't. You need a certain percentage correct in 5 trials in 3 sessions before you can up criteria. You come up with the plan ahead of time and you do not change it - the plan remains and after that session you can either move up, or down, depending on results of that plan and previous results.

I don't use them at home, but it has made me more aware of how long my sessions are with my own dogs and helped me to add difficulties to tasks in a more efficient way.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
No, I just remember where we were and what the training progression looked and felt like. If unsure about something, I will vid the session and watch later. But that is rare.

I do take a least moment before every training session to ensure I have a clear idea of what I'm going for in my head -- both end goal and intermediary steps..

Seems to work for me and my dogs. Honestly if I had to keep up some sort of journal I'd probably train less to avoid doing the entry. Just not my thing.

No, I just remember where we were and what the training progression looked and felt like. If unsure about something, I will vid the session and watch later. But that is rare.

I do take a least moment before every training session to ensure I have a clear idea of what I'm going for in my head -- both end goal and intermediary steps..

Seems to work for me and my dogs. Honestly if I had to keep up some sort of journal I'd probably train less to avoid doing the entry. Just not my thing.
This. I take mental notes and have a set plan before I go out every time. I take lots of video to so I can kind of see what I want to improve on.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
This. I take mental notes and have a set plan before I go out every time. I take lots of video to so I can kind of see what I want to improve on.
This! I am big into videoing because it provides a lot of insight, and I notice things I wasn't aware of when I go back and watch it. Not to mention just knowing I'm videoing myself makes me more aware of what I'm doing. :p

Sekah

The Monster.
I'm really bad when it comes to training plans. I just kind of do what I want until... either I see what I want (then I drill it a few more times for better or worse) or I notice my dog getting fatigued.

I feel pretty disorganized. I know I start/stop various tactics before really giving them a fair try, and I get distracted by other, more exciting things. However, whatever I'm doing seems to be working out because I'm very pleased with what I have now.

Cohen is the first dog I've trained. With what I know now I'd love to bring up another sport dog from scratch. But that won't happen for a while.

SpringerLover

But I don't know/think it will be for general public use.... Basically it tracks your plan (so sit/stay, how far you are from dog, position of dog (ground, on object, etc), distractions present, on/off leash, duration, location) and you just say yes this was successful or no this wasn't. You need a certain percentage correct in 5 trials in 3 sessions before you can up criteria. You come up with the plan ahead of time and you do not change it - the plan remains and after that session you can either move up, or down, depending on results of that plan and previous results.

I don't use them at home, but it has made me more aware of how long my sessions are with my own dogs and helped me to add difficulties to tasks in a more efficient way.
That's really cool! I'd be super interested in seeing it!

I've always felt like my training plans lacked fluidity when I kept specific notes/documented. BUT I always saw better results! So maybe the times I've done specific training plans have influenced me for the better? I kept detailed notes when I first started working with Gabby because I swore I wasn't making any progress. But then my notes showed me I was!

Taqroy

I've been thinking about getting into mobile development and I think I might try this as my intro ("I don't know what the eff I'm doing") project. I think a simpler variation of it would be awesome for noob trainers in beginner classes. Even just a checklist: 5 sits, 5 flats, 5 waits and then add in options to track duration, body position, etc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

krissy

Well, I video training so that I can watch it back to pick up problems (or good stuff) in my body language and such. I also video in order to have a record of it for my memories, and to watch back later to be nostalgic ("awww, she was so little before!" Or "omg, look how much better she is at X") and to have proof of her progression. I love seeing them figure it out and it's fun to have it on video to watch again and again. One day, so long and not so long from now, I hope to watch these videos with 13 year old Kili beside me.

As for training plans... I have goals that I work toward and I have rough timelines. If I'm not making progress on something I go back to my videos and try to see if I'm doing something wrong, but I don't keep notes like "made 2 errors on weave pole entries, was doing poles in 5 seconds". In my head I go "she's really nailing those entries, and she's quicker than she was last week". And if the mental note is good I just continue on.

I've been thinking about getting into mobile development and I think I might try this as my intro ("I don't know what the eff I'm doing") project. I think a simpler variation of it would be awesome for noob trainers in beginner classes. Even just a checklist: 5 sits, 5 flats, 5 waits and then add in options to track duration, body position, etc.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Make it so people can add their own behaviours as well!

Elrohwen

I often think that I should keep track of things better, but then I remember that I don't like keep track of stuff. I did a Fenzi class at Gold level and I had to video tape myself a few times per week and it was really helpful! I'm way too lazy to do that regularly, but I should use it more for things I'm having trouble with.

I have a bigger problem staying focused on one thing. I want to work on so many things and I have so little time. I can remember where we finished up with a particular behavior, but I jump around enough that I probably hinder some progress. If I were going to keep a training journal it would be more to focus my efforts instead of keeping track of specifics.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I don't keep records the way I know I should, but I do make plans. The boys (and Georgie) have little clipboards and on it I have schedules for them, what I'm going to work on for each day. I also can clip to it additional notes, like if I'm setting up a jump chute, the spacing and height of each jump, or for my mom with Georgie, instructions on a particular exercise.

DJEtzel

Unless I have very specific criteria due to previous problems, and want to see what may be failing, I don't record or keep track. I just pick up where we leave off and work things very randomly. :)

Members online

No members online now.