Parvo, what are the risks for vaccinated dogs?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
What it says on the tin.

There's been a recent outbreak, I'm wondering what the risks are for Fred to attend a show when there have been 3 dogs affected at a show from the last weekend (dogs travel from show to show, they all go to the same shows).

He's been vaccinated, due boosters right now. I didn't vaccinate bodhi for years, but gave boosters etc before Fred joined us as a precaution, and Fred has had puppy lot, this is the first boosters he's been due. They're not overdue, just due now.

Any insight?

Grab

I generally don't worry about my vaccinated dogs contracting the disease. And I live in a very Parvo heavy area. (we see probably at least one positive test per week)

I have yet to see a properly vaccinated dog come down with the disease.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I generally don't worry about my vaccinated dogs contracting the disease. And I live in a very Parvo heavy area. (we see probably at least one positive test per week)

I have yet to see a properly vaccinated dog come down with the disease.
Thanks. It's quite rare here as far as I know. At least, I've never come across it personally!! There's lots of panic mongering at the moment, and I'm yet to see anyone categorically state 'my dog caught parvo', all seems rumour and gossip. Me being me never believes anything I hear.

I certainly don't want to put him at risk, so thought I'd ask the voice of reason (chaz lol). I didn't think there was a high risk if your dog was vaccinated, but google is full of it!

There was a 2 year old that got parvo on another forum who did die. She said he was properly vaccinated. I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure he picked it up at a dog park. I would not risk it. I would definitely wait it out.

joce

There were strains that the vaccine did not protect against going around a couple years ago. And when the pups we fosterd had it right around six weeks only one required any hospitalization. Vet said it was just a weak strain.

My old vet suggested a booster for any of the dogs susceptible to it like Black and Tan breeds and maybe pits? Can't remember all of them.

Saeleofu

If he's fully vaccinated and healthy, I'd go. There's not much risk of contracting it to begin with, and if a healthy adult DOES get it, it's not nearly as dangerous as it is in puppies.

Grab

You can also always have a titer run on him to see how his immunity is :)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Don't stop doing the things you want to do with your dogs just because you are afraid they will get sick.

That being said...be smart. Make sure your dog has proper immunity (be that with vaccines, titers, whatever), properly disinfect things, avoid high risk areas, etc., etc.

I have a five month old puppy who is as up to date on his vaccines as he can be. I work at a vet clinic, and we have had four parvo cases in the past week and a half. Three have died. One was a six month old Pittie, one was a year and a half old Pittie, and one was a 3 month old American Eskimo pup. (The fourth, a little 8 week old Maltese puppy, is doing just fine. The owner caught the symptoms early and he was never really critical. Versus the other three, whose owners let it get to the point the dogs were in critical condition.) I've done my best to NOT be the one handling the animals and I've attempted to disinfect my clothing/shoes to the best of my ability...my dogs are both still healthy and happy.

Flyinsbt

Did he have his puppy vaccines, and this would be his first adult vaccine? If so, for safety, I'd probably go ahead and get that. Differing opinions on that, but that's mine. I would not worry too much with a healthy, vaccinated adult around a possible parvo outbreak. Chances are that even if he contracted the disease, he'd be fine. Just take reasonable precautions, and if he seems ill later, take him to the vet and mention the possible exposure.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I wouldn't worry about it much. I've handled parvo puppies and then come home to my own dogs, without doing much other than just washing my hands, and they've been fine (and, at the time of these cases, Lucy was 5 years overdue on vaccines.... so.).

That being said I'd probably go ahead and get him vaccinated, since this would be his first booster as an adult, correct? His other ones would have been as a puppy?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Thanks!

This will be his first adult booster, he is getting it, but the show is tomorrow and I'm away from home at my parents, so we don't have the time or ability to get anything done before tomorrow!!!

Like I say, it's not over due, it's just due now. We have every intention of getting them done, as Fred comes into contact with a lot more dogs than bodhi I feel it's more important to be safe than sorry. After these though I will ask our vet what the alternatives are :)

I will go to the show, I was thinking of taking some disinfectant wipes so I could give him a go over. And I won't take him into the benching area I don't think.

Members online