Karen Pryor online course worth the $?

I am considering doing the online Foundations course offered by the Karen Pryor Academy. It's $350, and is supposed to take about 8 weeks.

The obedience class I attended with my shih tzu 11 years ago used clickers, so I am very familiar with the concept.

My hope isn't so much to learn more about shaping and positive reinforcement (though I am sure I could learn a lot), but more about canine development, behavior, and communication.

Has anyone taken this course, and did you feel it was worth the money?

AmberD

I took it and enjoyed it. What I was taking it for fell through, but I still don't consider it a waste, if that helps.

It really opened my eyes on what clicker training really is about. I've seen clickers incorporated into other training programs and wasn't overly impressed, so while I've never had a negative view on clicker training, I've never fully understood the core foundation. I found myself getting excited at some of the videos. It's a cool starter course. It's pretty easy to get through, so someone could dash through it and have a certificate in no time if that was their priority. On the other hand, you can take your time and really practice the learning activities. There's a forum available if you want peer-to-peer discussion, and you're allowed a certain number of emails with an "instructor."

Thanks. The thing is - I used clicker training 11 years ago with my shih tzu, so I'm already pretty familiar with it.

Do you remember how much info there is on dog body language and communication?

AmberD

Thanks. The thing is - I used clicker training 11 years ago with my shih tzu, so I'm already pretty familiar with it.

Do you remember how much info there is on dog body language and communication?
There's discussion on behavior and psychology, can't think of how much. It's the foundation course, so it touches on a little of everything, but it doesn't delve too deep, because the full courses are also available for purchase.

SaraB

Typically, Karen Pryor stuff revolves around clicker training. However, her courses are known to dig deeper into clicker training than you thought possible. I wouldn't take her course for behavior stuff though.

So I registered for the course and have done the first couple of lessons. Not really any new material for me so far, but I am enjoying being refreshed on the basic concepts. My dog is enjoying it too.

My dog only really has 1 bad behavior I would like to work on, and I've actually been getting fantastic help from Laurie Luck (Smart Dog University), and have been using the clicker. My dog is over excited when people come to the door, and barks then jumps. After only a couple sessions with the clicker and redirecting new behaviors, she has improved immensely. Not sure why I didn't do this earlier ......

Members online

No members online now.