Living with dogs - a discussion of perspectives

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I think maybe the statement is being analyzed a little too deeply. Probably the person that wrote it did not mean it so literally that every single detail needed to be thought of.

The parallel between dogs and kids doesn't really need to be drawn because, meh, it should just be common sense to not leave your dog in a hot car. Plus I relate to dogs better anyway - most likely when I have kids it'll be the opposite - "hmm, well I wouldn't do X if this were a dog, so I probably shouldn't do it with my child." :lol-sign:

xpaeanx

I agree that's an over simplified statement, and while I understand the sentiment I still don't think it applies to this situation at all even keeping that in mind.

I wouldn't leave a human child in the car at all without supervision. As long as I can keep the car at a temp level I would be fine with I have no qualms about leaving a dog in it.

Also to me dogs are dogs, and I treat them as such. They deserve compassion, as any creature does but I don't place them on the same level as humans at all(even though in most cases I tend to like dogs better).

JacksonsMom

My dogs aren't humans, they don't sit at the table and they don't have their own bedrooms etc etc.

But at some level, I agree. I don't really treat my dogs as sub human, and I have the same philosophies about dogs training as I do rearing children.
This.

I think a lot of how you teach children can pertain to how you teach dogs. In fact, I definitely teach Jackson about the same as I would a 2-3 year old child.

But obviously, would I leave a 3 year old child at home by him/herself, loose in the house, with no supervision or adult home? NO. I do this with my dog every day however. lol.

Would I let my kid hang it's head out the window while driving? No. But I allow my dog!

Etc etc. So in my training philosophy, yes, I look at it similarly as a child/parent relationship. But certain things just simply cannot be compared.

I'm pretty sure if someone put me in long term charge of children, I would train them exactly like dogs. At the very least, I would classically condition an emergency recall cue.

Cardiparty

Honestly, I don't think kids and dogs are anything alike other then if you want to do well with either, you must respect them, care for them, love them, and teach them how to live in society.

As for leaving a dog alone in a hot car, that's just horrible. What a horrible way to cross the bridge.

I take dogs in the car with me to go on walkies at the park, visit parents or inlaws, or go to some kind of agility class or whatever.

I wouldn't take my dog out with my to run errands unless I was gonig to buy petfood and the store was pet friendly and we could shop and get some socialization in.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
Pretty much what everyone else said. Dogs aren't children - they're dogs. I actually think it disrespects dogs when we treat them like human children. They are fascinating, unique *animals* with their own instincts, communication style, and perspective. Treating them as though they are human children diminishes them somehow, IMO.

In many ways comparisons are valid...treat with respect, reward behaviors you do want, keep safe, manage situations you need to, etc. However, there are MANY ways where the comparisons are ridiculous. Like you would never leave a child crated or home alone for 8-10 hours a day, or in a backyard. (well, you shouldnt anyways, there have been cases :yikes:)

Members online

No members online now.