How much time?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Not enough. With Panzer I mainly was focusing on manners and not trick training or the like. Right now he just knows sit, down and targets with his nose, and other small things that go with living in my household, and he walks beautifully on a leash. and is just such a darn great puppy. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with him like trailing, mainly because there is really no trainers or training centers here, unless I wanted to do agility, and well Panzer is really not built for agility haha, I might do it for fun one day though.

I do plan on getting him temperament tested and maybe CGC since he is a breeding prospect. The Boerboel world is kinnda weird dogs are not really titled per-say and I believe the breeding dogs need to be temperament tested before they are bred.

I think I would group socializing with training. We do tons and tons of socializing. So much lol.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Wow, you're either all super dedicated or have super tons of time!!!! Several times a day...?! I'm in work!

We do informal training daily (in other words, there's always an opportunity to play games/ask for sits/ask for polite indoor behaviours).

I train in fits and spurts... I get a few sessions in over a few days, then we don't do anything for ages. Then I pick up where I left off. I physically don't have time to do a steady and regular session, as I prefer to spend my free time out walking with them. Now the nights are getting dark, I imagine I will do some more indoor training bits, usually silly tricks.

We stopped going to classes recently, but are starting again in 2 weeks OMG! Hurry up!!! That will be weekly :)

And I might add, I only really train Fred. Bodhi is a great house dog, and great outside. We do trick sessions, but she goes at 100mph and can't focus on what I ask her so I keep them really short and I don't find it as fun (poor bodhi lol). Fred is slower (sometimes to the point of OMG hurry up) but he seems to think things through more instead of having a brain melt.

Sometimes I go WEEEEEKS without doing anything at all!

Also I have the attention span of a gnat, and never finish anything.... That and I often feel uninspired as to what to work towards. I think I need the training.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I'm going to be the odd one out who doesn't do any training with their dog and posts about it. Because I know I'm not the only one.

SaraB

Suppose I should answer my own question.

I work the girls 2-3 times per day, generally a different sport/item each time. Whichever dog comes to work with me gets to train disc (toss & fetch) before work and then a disc/trick/obedience session during lunch. Both girls get worked that night, mostly agility or trick training now that it's getting darker earlier. If I teach, both get obedience before class and agility afterwards.

So really, each sport gets touched on around 5 times a week with each dog. Disc will dwindle off after our last comp in 2 weeks, agility will pick up more and because I'm super crazy, I've started mondio training with Zinga too.

I'm pretty lucky with my girls, neither gets burnt out with too much training. Zinga loses her mind a little bit with too much crate time between sessions, but she's fine if we just do crate games (ie impulse control, she stays in the crate with the door open while I work Zuma) instead of me actually shutting the crate.

Airn

I'm going to be the odd one out who doesn't do any training with their dog and posts about it. Because I know I'm not the only one.
Lol yep. Some days I'll make Gwen sit on furniture and jump over my homemade living room obstacle course. That's maybe twice a month. We're not in any classes. Other than playing fetch we don't do much.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
With Penny, it's touch and go. I aim for at least once a day. Sometimes twice but she gets overwhelmed and runs away a lot ..today, we did about 10 30 second mini sessions while running Briar in between. Briar would train all day, every day. It's insane how much work ethic that dog has.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
Wow, you're either all super dedicated or have super tons of time!!!! Several times a day...?! I'm in work!
Haha I work pretty much ten hours today. I did a short session with the each of the girls before I left this morning, we'll do another when I get home and then at least one more before bed.

Cara in particular has been working for all of her meals, she hasn't eaten out of a bowl in around two and a half three weeks. Lol Adele gets shorter/less sessions a day because she will reach a point where enough is enough and I try not to get her there. Cara would happily train most of the day.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
A few times a day for short intervals, it adds up. Mornings before I go to work, as soon as I get home at dinnertime, mid-evening, then right before bed we usually play some more. Even if it's just five minutes at a time (evening sessions are usually more like 10 minutes), that's 20 minutes.

Used to get a lunchtime session in too but my lunches are shorter now so I usually don't get anything squeezed in at lunch.

It's easier for me to do it in five or ten minute chunks throughout the day than try to find a solid hour at a time and do nothing but dog training!

Saeleofu

Logan gets worked probably 5-6 times a week, sometimes he gets worked every day. Sometimes it's just class or a trip to the store, other days he's out for several hours or most of the day. But it's enough to keep him in good form. Lately his guide work has been getting a bit sloppy, so I'm working on tuning that up whenever we're out. I'm trying to add a couple new tasks, but I don't train them nearly as consistently as I'd like. I worked on picking up items with him for 3 or 4 days in a row, and then all he really needed was some fine tuning. So, when we go to Walmart and there's stuff all over the floor, I just make him pick it all up for practice lol. My ultimate goal with this is for him to stop and pick up things I drop without me telling him to, since I tend to drop items and not notice until it's too late. Last week I dropped my keys on the way in to Target, and only realized it when I tried to dig them out as we walked out. I found them lying 3 feet from my car :yikes: Amazingly, after an hour in the store, both my car and my keys were still there :rofl1:

With Gavroche, it's mostly maintaining where he's at. He's at a place that's just really comfortable. He knows how to behave at home and in controlled environments away from home (though not TOO much or he gets overstimulated). He's retired from everything except lure coursing, and coursing doesn't require any training. So mostly it's cute tricks when I'm bored, and a trip to Petsmart maybe once a month, and coursing once a year. When I teach Logan something, I do teach Gavroche as well. Gavroche LOVES closing doors, so I work on that all the time because it's fun. But overall, maybe 5 minutes her and there a few times a week.

k9krazee

Every day we do at least one little training session-- even if it's just working for dinner. It just ranges between 3 minutes to an hour. It's really weather, work and baseball dependent :p

Now that I have my very own agility yard, we do that when I get home from work, if it's not dark already, until it gets dark. Unless I need a nap or dinner first. Then Crossbone stands and whines at me while I nap or we walk to dinner with bonehead where he learns how to be dinner date dog.

Then come inside & if there's a baseball game on we'll learn a new trick. No baseball we just quickly practice old tricks.

If the weather sucks & there's no baseball on, we might not do any formal training stuff.

BostonBanker

With Gusto's agility training (I need to think 'out loud'), we do one class a week (1 hour), one barn rental (a 2 hour session split between 4 people with two dogs each), one run-thrus (1.5 hour session), and usually one club practice (2 hours). Of course in reality, we are working in 2 - 4 minute intervals, and he's probably "working" less than 15 minutes/hour. As we learned during our barn rental last winter, five 4-minute sessions is a HUGE amount of training, and exhausting for both the dog and handler.

We may do a little bit extra at home. Self control, directionals on the flat, etc, but nothing incredibly consistent.

Meg does whatever her little heart desires. She's not in any classes. She usually goes to one or two sessions a week with me, and may come out for one or two short sessions each time. At this point, her skill set is where I want it, and she doesn't (and never has) tolerate drilling. She likes to come out, have me coo over her, let her run a few obstacles, and have a cookie and hear she is brilliant. She's earned the right :D

JacksonsMom

It really depends. Sometimes I am really lazy with it, other times I get really into it and train all the time.

Lately it's been average. We're back in agility classes once a week. And for a while we were doing a lot of disc training in the yard but we haven't been lately honestly. And then we used to do a LOT of trick training, but I've really gotten lazy with it. But that's usually of the tricks he already knows; we haven't learned many new tricks recently.

Shaman is in classes, so a couple of times daily on the basics. Hopefully soon we'll be able to do some more exciting stuff.

Gambit...not much. He doesn't care much for learning tricks, and I can only imagine the horror of putting him in a group class. Poor guy might never recover :eek:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Approximately 0 minutes.

Lol over the last year or two we hardly train. Just behavior modification kind of stuff out in public.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Luckily I can bring a dog to work with me (I try not to bring 2 because it's honestly annoying LOL), so I work whomever I bring during my break. Usually it's Kimma, but I've brought Jari in, too.

Pen gets something every day, usually involving tugging/fetch and impulse control/fast sits/downs and long stays. Some rally-type stuff, too. Bubbles I hardly train. But she's so polite and easy LOL. So we do something at least a few times a week, but not for long each session (mostly proofing stays at this point because I want to get her Therapy certified eventually). Kimma and Jari get training of some kind at least 2-3 times a day for short bursts (between 2-10 minutes depending on who/what I'm training).

I tend to work lots while I'm not "meaning" to. For example, every time I let the dogs out to potty is a chance to practice recall and some group stays. Every time we go for a walk we work on bits of rally stuff (changing pace, random turns, etc.). If I can bring them on an errand, I try to do just that and make it in to a training adventure. Meals are obvious LOL. Even now while they are having some down time, I am randomly calling Jari to me and rewarding for recall or doing some settle work for a little. I just love training. And I think the dogs do, too.

As for dog sports, we are training on our own for now. Taking a break from agility with Kimma. Besides Therapy work with Pen and our first Barn Hunt thing with Bubbles this weekend, it's nothing formal for a while :)

Oh and I work A LOT. I just never have time for myself and never sleep anymore LOL :p

Sekah

The Monster.
It's hard to track the time spent actively training since things tend to happen pretty organically with us. Cohen gets batty if she doesn't get at least half an hour of exercise/interaction each evening (more would be ideal) and the dogs are walked first thing in the morning. Walks can include disc, ball, tricks, off leash exploration, etc. in the park, or heeling there & back. Though, it's hard to really figure out what's Actual Training and what's Popping Treats Into Dog's Mouth For Average Behaviour. I suppose the practice is important, but I find myself playing pretty fast and loose with criteria when I'm not really focused on achieving X. I'm not taking any classes at the moment, but hope to get back into agility soon. Something I keep hearing from trainers whom I admire is to have a plan for each training session... which I do not! If I've got an event coming up, or I'm working towards a specific goal I'll be much more structured in my approach, but normally it's pretty catch-as-catch-can.

So, on average I'd say I spend an hour a day dedicated to "dogs" and of that, maybe 15 minutes is working on actual behaviours.

mrose_s

BusterLove
more now than I have in AGES.
Most days we go to the kennel we are working on her DR, even if this just means throwing her in a play yard with a couple of dogs we know well. And I spend half my life at the kennels now. lol

Whenever we go down to the footy fields ( a few times a week I usually start with a bit of obedience. Heeling, drop stays, recalls. Then finish with some agility flatwork.

At home we work on shaping complex skills to demo to the training students when they are doing their prac block. My boss uses his mini poodle for this also but Quinn's file of behaviours she can offer is much larger.

Scentwork is meant to be happening but it isn't.

I am mixing it up but I probably train anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour, 5 - 6 days a week now with my own dog.

I train Kris in Obedience with one group on Tuesday, different one on Wednesday, Obedience class on Thursdays and in between my sister and I have been training almost every day in a different location for 15-20 minutes along with what you normally do around home like waiting at doorways, playing fetch, settling when in the house.

I take Remmy to Agility classes on Saturday but I am not doing any training with him in between right now as our Agility equipment has been put away for the winter as not long till the snows arrive.

Members online

No members online now.