My dogs are trying to give me a heart attack

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Indy got spayed yesterday.

This morning she stood up and left a puddle of blood under her. I can see no obvious splits in her stitches, so I'm guessing it's just leaking out of her abdomen. It seems to have stopped tonight. Otherwise she'd be headed back to the vet.

But today, Ozzy was playing fetch with Steven outside and impaled himself on a stick. Literally. It went probably three inches into his chest, luckily below the breastbone, so it skated off and just created a pocket and tore the muscle. If it had gone over, it probably would have punctured his lung at the very least.

So we rushed him to the vet, where we spend another four hundred or so dollars again today. :p

There is no such thing as a free dog. Ever.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Thanks! Ozzy seems the worst off. He can't really walk that well because of the angle of entry, :/ And he peed himself tonight, which he's never ever done, even when he was sick with parvo as a puppy.

He's pretty miserable. We're all pretty miserable, for both him and Indy.

Indy I'm not so worried about, because I think the blood is because we spayed her so close to her coming into season. But she cycles every four months, and I didn't want to spay her during her season. So they're both on crate rest for about 10 days to two weeks, and Ozzy will have to be leash walked for a while longer than that to make sure his muscle tear is healing correctly.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I think it's like the saying goes "misery likes company". Sending lots of healing vibes.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
those are the saddest dogs in the world. Please give each of them a whole chicken from me. That will make them feel better, right?
They are definitely the saddest dogs in the whole world (theirs, anyway, haha)

I'll do you one better on the chicken, they already got a whole breast apiece while I was making my dinner, and are being spoiled rotten by us. We've even locked up Jones and Enzo so they're not bothering them. :p

Taqroy

Aw poor puppies! Tipper impaled herself almost exactly like that last year, it was terrifying. And thinking about what would have happened if the stick had landed an inch farther down....yeah, not good. I hope they heal up quickly!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Ozzy seems to be feeling much better now that I've found a sweater he can wear instead of the cone. Of course, unsupervised he'll still have to be coned, but he's rocking a light sweater in the meantime. The added bonus is it keeps it from getting anything on it when he goes outside.

He's moving more freely today as well, and bearing weight while standing still evenly on both legs. He's still gimpy when walking, but it's made me hopeful he'll make a quick recovery.

Indy is still coned, no sweater I have will cover her spay scar unfortunately. For her, and the backs of my legs. :p

Also standing them in good stead probably is that they're both in near peak physical condition, so hopeful for a quick recovery for both of them. Especially Oz. Indy had a fairly routine spay, just some extra bleeding, but she gave me a good scare.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Don't you just love it when they try to make your life exciting ;)

I hope everyone mends quickly...

Members online

No members online now.