what's the difference between pointing trials and retriever trials??

Fandogg

what are some differences between the 2. I know there are hunting tests and field trials I was just wondering what the differences between these 2 kinds of events were?

thanks i really appreciate it.

Well, I see you're in a hurry for an answer. I would imagine pointers POINT, and retrievers RETRIEVE. Not a professional in this area, but that would be my anwer...

A Pointer points at the game and you shoot it. Then the Retreiver retreives it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i have not seen a pointing trial other than when the horses and dogs ran past our retrieving tests..so there is one difference..more land covered..often on horses..i do know that a pointer is graded on his ability to find game..hold a point and honor a point as well as bring back the game..a retrieving test trail i will try to shorten for i could probably write a mini novel on that..but simplified..you have different catagories..puppy..usually a single retrieve either on land or water..you may hold your dog..and give commands..you may not cross the line. Derby young dog over 1..contains long singles, doubles, dog must deliever to hand..you can not hold your dog, must be steady.you cannot help your dog in the field either with command or signal..no words may be spoken after your dog is sent...land and water test. amateur all age..hand signals..tests include singles doubles and blinds..sometimes contains a suprise fall when the dog is bringing back one bird already..very difficult test like across a corn field not with the lines..but at at diagonal..harder tests in other words..then you have the open all age..and the national tests..that is too minimal but at least it is sort of a picture..there is a hunter's test which is for beginners..after you place first 3 times and judge once you are no longer considered and amateur and can no longer run..that is a shame because sometimes you have an inexperienced dog that you just want to have some experience and you can't run it..i finished with the hunter's by the time i was 15.
Elin a pointer must retreive the game as well..and deliver to hand.

bubbatd

The Field Trials for each Hunting breed is different. Pointers would work on an open field and do their point, wait for the shot then retrieve. A Retriever trail would be on land or water side....tracking and flushing on land, and retrieve the bird. On water they would wait for the kill, then swim out to retrieve. Do not plan to combine either of these with a " show dog "....which I thought you were leaning towards.

Members online

No members online now.