Mini Schnauzer to Crop or not to Crop..That is the question

Fandogg

In the future I plan to get a Mini-Schnauzer to show. Should I have it's ears cropped or not? I mean what is more of an advantage in the show ring? I know both are allowed but come on whats the skinny which one wins more. Cropped or uncropped? I kinda like the look of the uncropped a little better but cropped is fine as well.

help

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I'm against ear cropping personally, and I like the look of uncropped ears best!! Schnauzers have such expressive faces I think they should have ears! But that's just my opinion! You could start a poll if you like to see where that majority lays!!

Amstaffer

Well my breeder for my dog Sal convinced me to crop his ears....I really really regret doing it. It was very painful for him and his pain lasted for sometime. I now feel that cropping is cruel...IMHO

oriondw

user not active
Unless you will be working your schnauzer as rat catcher, i dont think you should crop ears at all.

Cropping for aesthetic reasons is just wrong.

I think Schnauzers look more serious when their ears are cropped. When they aren't cropped, I think they look sillier (their expression).

candy722

I had a mini schanuzer and I thought about cropping his ears before just the thought of making him go through pain so that I can enjoy watching his ears. I felt bad and never did it. I never even thought about cropping his ears until the greedy vet asked me.

joce

If you buy a dog that is show quality and the owners showed cropped then the pups should alredy be cropped when you get them. It is just another cost of the breeder having pups.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Please Don't make your poor pup go through that, if he/she doesn't have to!Besides I think they're cute natural. Just my opinion :D

RD

Are you dead yet?
If you want to be successful in the show ring I would personally crop. I hate to sound pessimistic but in "cropped" breeds like Schnauzers, natural-eared dogs rarely do well in the ring. I have been to quite a few dog shows and there are natural eared dogs in the ring on occasion, with quite nice structure, but no matter how great they are they rarely get put up and I have NEVER seen a natural dog in the champions class.
It is too bad that ears often make the difference between a win and getting dumped but that's just how it is.

Look for yourself, go see how many natural-eared dogs like Dobermans are winning in the ring. A dog can be positively spectacular in structure, but the ears can make or break their chances.

Talk to Schnauzer people, find out who does their puppies ears. When done by a skilled, careful vet you will get an attractive crop with minimal pain to the dog. When done by a vet who has little experience in cropping you will most likely get an undesirable crop and a puppy in pain.

BTW im glad you finally found your breed.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Me too Grammy, imagine if all women had to get something cut off their bodies in order to compete in beauty pagents, I don't think there would be so many!

showpug

I agree, that if you are going to a "show" breeder that they would already have this done as part of the fee. I think your pup would do better in the show ring with cropped ears. Sad, but true :( I show pugs and am fortunate enough that the only thing they need removed is their dew-claws. Schnauzers also have their tails docked and no one has mentioned that! Ear cropping is at least done under anesthesia and with pain meds. whereas tails are done at 3 days old with no pain meds and they scream their little heads off. Poor babies! This was the one procedure I could not stand watching when I worked at the clinic. The decision is really up to you. If you are REALLY competitive then I would get them cropped, if you are not, then I would try to defy the odds and leave them natural. :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
Showpug is correct, most show breeders will have cropped the ears of their show prospect puppies before they place them.

I also wish that dogs had a chance to be successful in the ring with natural ears (Tail docking is something I believe is necessary for the health of some of those dogs with long, thin tails prone to injury) but unfortunately when it comes to conformation showing, PRETTY is what wins. A dog can be very correct, but if it doesn't look pretty in the ring it won't win nearly as much. That's just the way it is. Some can tell me that it's all about conformational correctness but then I'd like them to explain to me why lovely natural-eared dobermans are never taking breed.

I am also glad that my Border Collies don't need plastic surgery to be able to succeed.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Wow Showpug... 3 days old and no anesthesia?? That is just terrible. At my work, they do it with them under anesthesia. I don't like the whole cropping idea. But I don't think you understand how popular this idea is. I sure didn't until I started working where I work now. WOW... Whoever thought this idea up in the first place??

If you aren't going to show, and just want a dog to love. Please don't crop. If you want to show your dog professionally, then crop. But learn all the necessary facts and the effects this will have on your dog. Just as you would if you were having plastic surgery.

S

Stanna

Be the first to win with uncropped ears!

It might be a bias in the ring, but atleast it is 'their' bias. If you disapprove, you shouldn't promote it. If enough did the same, eventually it wouldn't be an issue.

If you don't care either way about ear cropping, then I guess go for the win.

Bragi

sorry I'm late

(skipping all the grammer)
I think that cropping the ears is not cool. The tail is one thing, but not the ears. If you are serious about showing your Schnauzer, then you should already have a mental picture of what he/she should look like. I was a little concerned when I got mine, because his ears were huge. Just like the paws, he grew into his ears. Now they are part of his expression. The only draw back to not cropping the ears, is the amount of yeast and other collectibles that gather inside. If you love your dog, or want a dog to love, you will leave the ears and clean them often.
However if you are buying a dog to show, to pacify your need for attention or whatever, then crop them. Most of the dog show judges that I have meet are VERY old school. They don't seem to like exceptions or variance. Good luck, I hope you find a buddy not a trophy.

Members online

No members online now.