If you feel immune from BSL - List of 75 banned or restricted breeds

Last night I did a quick search and can't find WHERE the Alapaha is restricted, but I did find other sources with a similar list and they said that Alapahas are listed because they are over 100 pounds. Which is funny since the breed standard says that females should be 55-75 and males 70-90. Can they be over 100 pounds? I guess so. So far I've only personally known of one over 90 pounds, so to say that they are a generally ginormous breed is rediculous!!

Granted, the whole list is rediculous but that's why we fight BSL isn't it?

Whether the list is 100% accurate or not, would you let that stop you from fighting something that is fundamentally wrong? Guys, this is not something I feel like arguing. I guess its naive of me to hope that everybody could just get behind something, whether all the facts for the public presentation were properly sourced or not. Add your name, or don't add your name. It makes precious little difference to me. I will keep doing as I always do, with or without the support of others.

Last edited:
Here is a crosspost of something we talked about on the Dogo board years ago:

This list is courtesy of a gal in LJ's "Breedists_No" community. Copied as posted there.

------------------------------------------

1. American Pit Bull Terrier “Pit Bull”
2. American Staffordshire Terrier “Pit Bull”
3. Staffordshire Bull Terrier “Pit Bull”

( Please note: The title “Pit Bull” also includes any mixed breed that appears to have predominately “Pit Bull” in it and *all* variations of Bull Dog are listed “Pit Bull” so they are banned by default even if not specifically listed by name. )

4. Bull Terrier (Monticello, Centerville, Alburnett & Hiawatha Iowa)(Grandview MO) (NLittle Rock, AR) (KY & WA)
(Please note also that *many* states list Bull Terriers as “Pit Bulls” along with the three listed above so they are banned in other places not listed as well)

5. Akita (Ulyssas, KS)

6. Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)

7. American Bull Dog (North Little Rock, AR) (Aurora CO.)(Akron OH)

8. Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)

9. Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)

10. Cane Corso (Aurora CO)

11. Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (Newport, RI) (Lynnville, TN)

12. Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL), (Travelers Rest, SC) (Lynnville, TN) (Buffalo Center, IA)

13. Dogo Argentino (Aurora CO)
( Please note also that *many* states list Dogo’s as “Pit Bulls” along with the three listed above so they are banned in other places not listed as well)

14. English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)

15. Fila Brasileiro (also known as the Fila, Brazilian Mastiff) (Aurora CO)

16. German Shepard (Fairfield, IA) (Lynnville, TN)

17. Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)

18. Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)

19. Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)

20. Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)

21. Presa Mallorquin (also known as the Ca De Bou) (Aurora, CO)
22. Presa Canario (Lanett, AL) (Aurora CO)
( Please note also that *many* states list Presa’s as “Pit Bulls” along with the three listed above so they are banned in other places not listed as well)

23. Rottweiler (North Little Rock AR) (Buffalo Grove, ILL) (Fairfield, Conrad, Lake Mills & Lockridge IA) (Walkerton, IN) (Inman, KS) (Carl Junction & Salisbury MO) (Binghamton, NY) (Velva, ND)(Pawtuckett, RI) (Travelers Rest, SC)(Lynnville, TN)(Smithville, UT)(Neah Bay, WA) (Buffalo Center, IA)

24. Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)

25. Shar Pei's (Smithfield, UT)

26. Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)

27. Tosa Inu (Aurora CO)

In addition to the breeds listed specifically (above, where noted) in Fairfield, Iowa, if your dog is over 100 pounds it is considered a restricted breed. Below I listed breeds that are commonly over 100 pounds based on UKC and AKC standards, that are not already previously listed above, that are banned in that city by default because of size:

1. Akbash
2. Anatolian Shepherd
3. Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog
( Please note also that *many* states list ANY Bull type as “Pit Bulls” along with the three listed above so they are banned in other places not listed as well)
4. Borzoi
5. Bull Masiff
6. Dogue De Bordeauxs
7. Estrela Mountain Dog
8. Great Pyrenees
9. Italian Mastiff
10. Komondor
11. Kangal Dog
12. Kuvaz
13. Leonberger
14. Neopolitian Mastiff
15. New Foundland
16. Otterhound
17. St. Bernard
18. Spanish Mastiff

As well as ANY other non-recognized breed over 100 pounds and ANY mix breed over 100 Pounds.

Here's a list of what they regulate in Italy. Its not properly sourced because I don't remember where I found it. But a lot of it was in Italian and I had to translate the breeds so that they made sense to us Americans.

I couldn't find the 56 breed list, though I'm sure it'll come across the mailing list I'm on again sometime. But I did find the list of restricted breeds from Italy, which is pretty interesting. The English names for most of them were provided, but some I don't understand. It seems like they went along and just banned whole kennel club groups. [bracketed comments mine]

Belgian shepherd (all 4 varieties)
Schipperke
German Sheperd Dog
Majorca Shepherd Dog
Catalan shepherd
Beauceron
"Dog from Shepherd of Livelinesses"
Berger Picard
Long-haired Pyrenean Sheepdog
Pyrenean Sheepdog-smooth faced,
Bearded Collie
Border Collie
Rough Collie
Smooth Collie
Old English Sheepdog
Shetland Sheepdog
Welsh Corgi Cardigan
Welsh Corgi Pembroke
Bergamasco Sheperd Dog
Maremma Sheepdog
Komondor
Kuvasz
Mudi
Pumi
Dutch shepherd
Saarlooswolfhond
Polish Lowland Sheepdog
Tatra Sheperd Dog
Portuguese Sheepdog
Croatian shepherd
Slovensky Cuvac
Ovtcharka - South Russian Sheperd Dog
Czekoslovakian Wolfdog
Australian shepherd
"White shepherd Swiss"
Australian Cattle Dog
Bouvier des Flandres
Bouvier des Ardennes [a breed listed as endagered or extinct in one of my dog books]
"Cão Spins São says Miguel"
Dobermann Pinscher
German Pinscher
Miniature Pinscher
Affenpinscher
Austrian short-haired Pinscher
Giant Schnauzer
Standard Schnauzer
Miniature Schnauzer
Dutch Smoushond
Black Russian Terrier
Argentinian Dogo
Fila Brasileiro
Shar Pei
Danish Broholmer
Boxer
Alano [Great Dane]
Rottweiler
Ca De Bou
Dogue de Bordeaux
English Bulldog
Bullmastiff
Mastiff
Neapolitan mastiff
Tosa
"Dog Run Italian (THE)"
Anatolian Sheperd Dog,
Newfoundland
Hovawart
Leonberger
Landseer
Spanish mastiff
Pyrenean Mastiff
Pyrenean Mountain Dog
Sarplaninac
Atlas Sheperd Dog
Perro pastor of the Atlas says)
Estrela Mountain Dog
"Cão says I Castrate Laboreiro"
"Rafeiro of Alentejo"
Saint Bernard
Karst Sheperd Dog
Caucasian Sheperd Dog,
Central Asia Sheperd Dog
Tibetan mastiff
Dogo Canario
Appenzeller Sennenuhund
Bernese Mountain Dog
Entlebuch Cattledog
Greater Swiss Mountain Dog
Large Japanese Dog [probably Akita]

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
LMAO

Tosca- I didn't even notice the spelling.. I just glanced down the list..

NO that would be the INCORRECT way of Spelling "Tervuren"..

so I guess Riots breed ISN"T on the list after all.. yay! hehe

Another way of spelling it would be the old way "Tervueren" (correct spelling of the town in Belgium)

Brattina88

I'm only one person, but I wanted to say that I've only been bitten by two dogs my whole life, it bled and I probably should've gone to the dr and got a couple of stitches both times. The first one was a Golden, she was very human aggressive, she climbed the fence she was in and latched onto my leg (I was walking Maddie at the time) :(
(the other dog it was kinda my fault because I was breaking up a dog fight the way your NOT supposed to. . .)

Whether the list is 100% accurate or not, would you let that stop you from fighting something that is fundamentally wrong? Guys, this is not something I feel like arguing. I guess its naive of me to hope that everybody could just get behind something, whether all the facts for the public presentation were properly sourced or not. Add your name, or don't add your name. It makes precious little difference to me. I will keep doing as I always do, with or without the support of others.
Because I am uneducated on the subject :eek: ; What can we do ?

You know, the point isn't WHICH breeds are restricted/banned WHERE, but that ANY breeds are banned ANYWHERE.
Exactly

Probably the most direct thing is to get ahold of your local councilmen, state representatives, etc., and ask them not to support BSL. Present thought-out arguments about why it is ineffective, and remember to be polite. Get on a BSL mailing list, and when you hear about someplace wanting to pass BSL, email, call, fax, whatever you can do. If you can attend town meetings and such where BSL is proposed, lend your voice against it. Also get involved with your local dog clubs, as sometimes they can be instrumental in fighting BSL. (I say sometimes because some clubs just don't care since it doesn't directly affect them. Other clubs wont move their shows out of a BSL area because of cost or other reasons.)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Hysteria doesn't win a war.

Calm, methodical planning and KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE FIGHTING does.

Granted a mysterious list highlights a cause, but it doesn't help win the battle.

I have asked someone from RDOWS to come and explain the mysterious list, so maybe people will feel comfortable adding their name to the vigil.

Here is what I found out with regard to the list:

The following list contains dog breeds that are either banned from ownership, or restricted so as to make ownership more difficult than owning other breeds, in legislation either passed, proposed, or tabled in venues throughout the United States of America. Some breeds are named specifically, some breeds are included by physical description. All dogs are subject to being named. Dog ownership is under a barrage of legislation that threatens its very existence. Breed specific legislation (BSL) sets a legal precedent that empowers the enacting body to add any or all other breeds of dogs, or domestic species, with no further public notice. Some breeds are included in so-called "pit bull" bans or restrictions. There is no breed of dog that is recognized by any registry as "pit bull" It is an umbrella term that covers twenty-five to thirty actual breeds. The term originated as a means to describe any dog whose owner fought it in the pit. It has expanded into a very broad, and erroneous usage.

Some breeds are named under "wolf-hybrid" bans or restrictions. Common theory is that all domestic dog breeds were developed from a proto-wolf ancestor. Wolf-hybrid bans could in fact encompass all domestic breeds of dogs. Not one of these bans, or restrictions has made our cities, counties or municipalities safer. Responsible Dog Owners of the Western States opposes breed specific legislation. RDOWS encourages the passage of Responsible Dog Owner Legislation that addresses the real problems. For a copy of RDOWS Model Dog Owner Regulations please contact any RDOWS state Director, or RDOWS. The breeds are listed by name exactly as they appear in legislation. Redundancy is due to the wording of codes, and ordinances.

biggrins

Owned by two Iggies
Interesting. Are you sure it's not a Hoax?? I cannot find it anywhere on the web. Your link doesn't work.

I kept wondering what link people were talking about. I figured it out now. Here's the full link: http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/05/list_of_banned_.html

And its no hoax. It may seem unreal until you actually have to live with it, I realize. The way the vast majority of these laws are written, they are open to interpretation. So I could say the dogs in your siggy pic are Pit Bull-types because they have rose ears and short hair.

DryCreek

Breed specific legislation (BSL) sets a legal precedent that empowers the enacting body to add any or all other breeds of dogs, or domestic species, with no further public notice.
This is what owners of other breeds need to be made aware of. Once BSL is passed they can add any breed they want to the list without public notice. It does not stop with the breed specified in the original legislation. It opens the door to the possibility of banning all breeds eventually.

With the ban in Ontario, the American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier have never reached the top 5 breeds involved in biting statistics. In fact "Pit Bulls" are number 8 on the list behind Mixed Breeds, German Shepherds, Cocker Spaniels, Rottwielers, Golden Retrievers, Labs and Poodles. (source: Canadian Hospital Injury Reporting and Prevention Program)

If they can ban the #8 dog, what will happen with the breeds numbered from 1-7? Will they be next?

WHAT? A Labrador??? I have two!!! Gosh!! So is this in the United States, or is it somewhere else? Gosh, they might as well ban cats too, they are more offenders of biting, and scratching than dogs! Maybe..

S

savethebulliedbreeds

First of all I cannot believe the amount of bickering about whether there is sources for this list or not. Does it really matter? NO! If people actually took the time to check it out for themselves you would find out it is true.

I also find it a bit frusterating that people are saying things like "oh, you've got to be kidding me, not this breed or that breed." YES this breed or that breed.

This is just proof that no one persons breed is exempt from banning. If more people would realize this maybe there wouldn't be this epidemic of breed ban laws being past. More people would stand up to fight for every breed instead of sitting back and watching someone elses breed being banned and doing nothing, because it doesn't involve them. Guess what....breed bans involve dogs as a whole. It is discrimination, racism, whatever you want to call it. Pointing a finger at something because of what it looks like or the actions of a few is exactly that.

Kudos to you bahamutt for posting this.

ETA: We also have to look at banning from this standpoint also:

Banning is not only discrimination against a certain breed of dog but it is discrimination against pet owners.

How is this right that governments can tell YOU what type of dog you are allowed to own. They also make it sound as if you a bad person for owning these breeds. It is the same as if governemts were to tell you that you weren't allowed to have children with red hair or green eyes, or that were going to be larger than 6 feet tall. Cause you know "all people with red hair have nasty tempers" and people that are "larger can cause more damage"

Miakoda

First of all I cannot believe the amount of bickering about whether there is sources for this list or not. Does it really matter?
To those bitching & complaing it matters because obviously in their minds our dogs deserve to be on that list yet their precious pooches could never be so bad & vicious to make the list themselves.:rolleyes:

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Well, yeah that is the way it is coming across to me at least. Our breeds are on there fine, but the minute their dog gets put on a list they can't believe it and say "oh, no not this breed".

It is kind of funny that people will sit and say "we are against BSL, blah blah blah" then they go on with the rest of their day not giving it a second thought. When it comes to their dogs though they don't want to believe and are outraged when they find out it is true.

Im not saying that everyone is like this but it just seems that a lot of people are like this.

Again. Think of this as a violation against people....ALL PEOPLE, to not have the right to choose the dog they want as a pet. Think about all the children that have had their best friends ripped from their arms by ignorant law makers, to never be seen again. Think about all the lab crosses, etc that have been euthanized due to BSL. Maybe you will have an easier time deciding whether this is a battle you would like to help fight.

I am kind of upset actually about these people saying this is a hoax etc, and that are just blowing it off as nothing more. Right now, everyday, I fight to save bullys. Tomorrow I would not hesitate to help save YOUR breeds either. It is actually unbelievable that it seems to be one sided unfortunately. Even when other breeds are involved there is a "no, this can't be happening" attitude.

I mean, in Italy the even banned the Welsh Corgi, which is the Queens favorite dog!

Members online

No members online now.