The dog musing/vent thread

SoCrafty

I like Pit Bulls just as much as the next person. I get that they are sweet, loving and wonderful dogs. I will pet your bully breed dog, ask you questions and wouldn't mind letting Addie play. But when you hack your teeny puppy's ears off so it has no leather left, put it in a spiked collar and let it loose in a pet store with no leash on, I will admit, it makes me nervous. Especially when it made a bee-line to Addie in a super confident posture and you are smiling at your pup's behavior.

amberdyan

I like Pit Bulls just as much as the next person. I get that they are sweet, loving and wonderful dogs. I will pet your bully breed dog, ask you questions and wouldn't mind letting Addie play. But when you hack your teeny puppy's ears off so it has no leather left, put it in a spiked collar and let it loose in a pet store with no leash on, I will admit, it makes me nervous. Especially when it made a bee-line to Addie in a super confident posture and you are smiling at your pup's behavior.
I get that. It's usually at the dog park though when it's a big muscled up bully with no ear leather straining on the end of a leash so hard that it's drooling and you're just smiling. It actually is a nice dog, but I feel like they actually work to him seem like a stereotype. Not saying that everyone with conditioned, cropped bullies are like that, that dog just gives me weird vibes. Like he doesn't really know how to dog.

Watson is a puncher too...

Menchi has managed to punch me in the nose with her head before...

Dogs hurt so much sometimes >.<
I heard lots of chazzers talk about their dogs hurting them and Hugo never did anything for the longest time and I thought I was in the clear until I starting teaching catches and rebounds. Now I've been scratched/bomped/toothed in the face more than I can count.

Toast has been trying to hump Maisy lately, and although *I* don't let him, *she* is a doormat and tolerates it if I don't intervene.

Today, Toast tried to hump Squash.

I don't think he'll be trying that again, lol.

(As an aside, it's nice to have an adult dog who corrects appropriately. Maisy is a total doormat, Pip can be too harsh... but Squashies is just right. He's even more perfect than I thought!)

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I let Cajun and Juno off leash together today and over the course of an hour? 1.5 hours? Not once did I have to revoke Cajun's privileges. She normally just becomes SUCH a bully to Juno and it's either a) I just don't let them off together or b) I'm constantly intervening and giving Cajun time outs. It's always been a very stressful/frustrating thing for me and over the course of 1 year, I've never seen any improvements in the behavior.

There was no issue today. I think there was one incident during the whole hike where things were getting too amped/rough and I just had to tell them "enough" ONE TIME and everyone was like "oh ok" and went back to behaving. WHAT.

It's like she's finally growing up, between this and the fact that she like... lays down and stuff now.

Returning an otherwise perfect dog to the rescue after 2 years because it has beef allergies is one of the worst reasons I've ever encountered for getting rid of a dog. And why were the allergies such a problem? Because the stupid roommate wouldn't stop giving him rawhides. I guess she just can't comprehend the concept of allergies.

Dump the roommate. Not the dog. :rolleyes:

amberdyan

Returning an otherwise perfect dog to the rescue after 2 years because it has beef allergies is one of the worst reasons I've ever encountered for getting rid of a dog. And why were the allergies such a problem? Because the stupid roommate wouldn't stop giving him rawhides. I guess she just can't comprehend the concept of allergies.

Dump the roommate. Not the dog. :rolleyes:
That was one of the hardest parts for me working at shelter- when people would return or dump dogs for the dumbest reasons. A lot of my co-workers would tell me that the people were probably lying about why they were ditching the dog (because it got too big, because I didn't realize he'd need a walk EVERY day, etc) because they were embarrassed. Only.... I can't fathom any more embarrassing reason for dumping a dog!

That was one of the hardest parts for me working at shelter- when people would return or dump dogs for the dumbest reasons. A lot of my co-workers would tell me that the people were probably lying about why they were ditching the dog (because it got too big, because I didn't realize he'd need a walk EVERY day, etc) because they were embarrassed. Only.... I can't fathom any more embarrassing reason for dumping a dog!
It's just hard for me to get why people get a dog, and then come and bring it back because it's acting like a dog. Normally I assume that a lot of the people are lying about the reason for bringing a dog back, but this one came back complete with all the vet's bills and records. 12 visits in 2 years! Some of the matches really don't work out and it's in the dog's best interest to come back to us, but the majority of the returns are just because of peoples' stupidity.

Eh, I mean, I'd rather they have a chance at a new home that can cater to the dog's needs, than have it be another dog who ends up being neglected in what it needs and developing more issues that could make it more unadoptable if "dumped" further down the line or just be in a home where it gets no attention, is locked away, etc. Especially with the allergies, I'd rather see the dog brought to the shelter and get a chance at a home where a home WON'T give it the beef, than stay in one where it will be, if the person also wants said roommate, and have it's allergies uppity all the time.

xpaeanx

I bought Norwegian Kelp Supplement for the dogs..... I ordered 3lbs of Norwegian Kelp Supplement.... I will never have to buy more again! LOL.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yep. My eye is stil red, watery, blurry vision and painful. I think Hank's punch to the eye is going to actually force me to the doctor.

Sigh. Thank you for the 'cuddles' hank.

Also having to explain to coworkers why you can't open your eye is fun.

'Uh yeah...my dog punched me in the eye over the weekend. No, really. That is exactly what happened. I promise.'

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I once got a concussion from taking a coyote to the side of the head. Not naming any names....
I've taken a Dutch Shepherd to the head, and more recently, a Malinois. ALSO, not naming any names.

(I've also face planted because I've taken said dogs to the back of the knees. I think they like it when I yell a lot of cuss words. They probably think they're names are "GOD D@MN IT YOU AS$HOLES!!")

Members online

No members online now.