The dog musing/vent thread

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I just woke up and my two dogs are sitting in the floor staring at me to DO SOMETHING. I don't wanna. Got to meet the family for easter church and it's raining outside so we can't even walk. The last 3 days were spent hiking and then at an agility trial for 2 of them. They should be pooped. But no. They're bored and want me to DO SOMETHING with them.

I can't read their minds. I gave them bully sticks but that seems like it wasn't enough. Maybe they're just so used to getting out early the last few days that they're waiting for me to start getting their stuff ready.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
If I have to go somewhere during the day and the dogs have to stay in for a few hours, Bear (the JRT) has problems seedling at night if he doesn't get played with during the day and / or has to stay inside ... WTF, dog, even my high energy cattle dogs are ok with that if it happens but a 15 year old JRT isn't???

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Bit of gushing about my awesome dog.

We were visited family in Indiana these past few days and I cannot be more proud of how Abrams behaved himself. (Besides not knowing how to react in a multi-level house with a ton of people and other dogs.)

12 hour car ride north? He did great, even if he did bark at people at gas stations. First night in an unfamiliar location, after said car drive and no exericse? Perfect. He fell right asleep in his portable crate, that he had NEVER been exposed to before, without any fuss. He didn't care about the cats, he didn't care about the multiple dogs, and for the first time in his entire life he was able to be around Chloe without her trying to kill him because he actually respected her when she told him off. He was thrown into a lot of different situations - staying in a kennel outdoors in an unfamiliar area, staying in my car in busy parking lots while we ate out, a strange house he had never been in before and then had to sleep at, going from one place to another without Cynder, being off leash in unfamiliar areas - and he just took everything in stride. No anxiety, no nervousness, just, "Okay, sweet, what's next?!" On the trip back home he just dozed the entire time and when we stopped at gas stations or rest stops he didn't bark at anyone or anything. Got out, calmly did his business when asked, and went right back into the car and fell asleep.

I was so proud of him. <3 I love having a dog that takes everything in stride. I haven't had a dog like that since Blackie.

My travelling buddy on the way home:

Squashies is such a good boy. Hung out with the neighbors a little bit this afternoon in the yards (we have a gate in the fence between our backyards) and he is still so polite with other dogs. Their daughter has a little cocker mix who was a little overwhelmed by him, and after trying to engage her in play he left her alone after her polite but firm doggie NO THANK YOU. (And just paced around the yards from person to person for a while, lol.)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Reiterating that Abrams is awesome. He just played with bubbles that my mom bought him, and had his very own Easter Egg hunt in the backyard. :D He'd find an egg, take it, cracked it open, eat the treats in it, then (begrudgingly) give me the egg and go find another!

I love my dog.

Dagwall

One of my neighbors recently got a new dog. She has decided that Jubel is the devil and must die. They met twice briefly when she first came home. Nothing has happened between them other than a brief exchange of dirty looks that led to a quick snark from her. They don't come anywhere near each other now.

Jubel is fine, couldn't care less about seeing her. She on the other hand goes ballistic lunging, barking, and snarling seeing him from a far distance. I've tried talking to my neighbor about LAT and my willingness to work with her on training so Lucy can see Jubel without losing her mind. She seemed receptive but don't know if she'll actually follow through. I hope she does. They don't have to like each other but I really don't want to risk Lucy getting out and attacking Jubel. I've seen them leave their front door open with the storm door closed. She's a big strong dog, I don't trust that storm door to contain her. Plus they have kids, I'd guess the youngest is 9-10, don't trust them not to let her slip out if she sees Jubel.

Really hoping this doesn't end badly.

DJEtzel

One of my neighbors recently got a new dog. She has decided that Jubel is the devil and must die. They met twice briefly when she first came home. Nothing has happened between them other than a brief exchange of dirty looks that led to a quick snark from her. They don't come anywhere near each other now.

Jubel is fine, couldn't care less about seeing her. She on the other hand goes ballistic lunging, barking, and snarling seeing him from a far distance. I've tried talking to my neighbor about LAT and my willingness to work with her on training so Lucy can see Jubel without losing her mind. She seemed receptive but don't know if she'll actually follow through. I hope she does. They don't have to like each other but I really don't want to risk Lucy getting out and attacking Jubel. I've seen them leave their front door open with the storm door closed. She's a big strong dog, I don't trust that storm door to contain her. Plus they have kids, I'd guess the youngest is 9-10, don't trust them not to let her slip out if she sees Jubel.

Really hoping this doesn't end badly.
Do you have a reason to be concerned? Doesn't sound like anything other than reactivity if all that happened upon a meet was a snark. Sounds unlikely she would approach him willingly with that sort of intro. Def not out for blood, anyway.

Training would of course make it more pleasant, but even if a dog isn't reacting it could still be very aggressive and attack a dog if it were to get loose. Some of the most seemingly pleasant dogs can do the most damage when you least expect it.

Hope it works out! The stress alone is enough to drive you crazy.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Since moving back in with my parents, Rigby has been showing some concerning DA, especially when it comes to working for food.

Because the All About Pets Show was such a huge event for us, I signed her up for another round of beginner obedience a month before just to get her used to working around dogs comfortably.

Yesterday she was in a great mood. No snarkiness, not even a sideways glance at another dog. She was even sort of sociable with a few dogs which was really nice. It was just great to see her in a more relaxed state.

I am so proud of her!

DJEtzel

Gosh, I love having such a stable dog. New dogs in the house all weekend, lots of calamity, long car trips and visiting the parents for the first time and he hasn't skipped a beat. <3

SpringerLover

Zoe got her RATI!

She was one of 13 dogs to do so in the first ever Barn Hunt Instinct Test in Alaska. I am so proud of her for working, even though she was really stressy. A dog barked on the other side of the blind, and she still went back to the tubes, but she was barely working. I'm sure there are people that watched who figure I just made a lucky guess, but I know her subtleties from Nose Work.

I don't think we'll get any qualifying legs in Novice, because she is so not into those tunnels, but right now I am just happy to see her working at something new and want her to have fun despite the fact that other dogs exist.

Sports that accommodate reactive dogs = win. Our first ribbon and first title.
Congrats! :)

Dagwall

Do you have a reason to be concerned? Doesn't sound like anything other than reactivity if all that happened upon a meet was a snark. Sounds unlikely she would approach him willingly with that sort of intro. Def not out for blood, anyway.

Training would of course make it more pleasant, but even if a dog isn't reacting it could still be very aggressive and attack a dog if it were to get loose. Some of the most seemingly pleasant dogs can do the most damage when you least expect it.

Hope it works out! The stress alone is enough to drive you crazy.
I'm concerned due to the level of her reactivity with just seeing him from quite a distance. She absolutely flips out and takes a long time to settle back down even after Jubel is out of sight. I am concerned that given the chance she might try and attack him. If she did it wouldn't be pretty for either dog. I'm pretty sure when I talked to the owner last time I did convince her that punishing her reactivity was NOT a good idea. She seemed to accept that punishing her would only make her have even more bad associations with seeing Jubel.

They are getting ready to go on a vacation I hope to work out something with her when she gets back to start some counter conditioning. A few weeks ago they were loading her into the car to go someplace when I walked by with Jubel, at least 100 ft away, and she started barking her head off. She kept barking like crazy long after we were out of sight. No clue what caused her to decide Jubel is so horrible but she firmly believes it right now. She's fine with all the other neighborhood dogs, even the rude ones. Jubel is the only dog she has issues with.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I meant to ask the dogs if they wanted to go to sleep but I accidentally said 'Do you want a cookie?' and poor little Summer's face just lit up that now they got an extra cookie. I can't say no to that face.

She is like the sweetest thing in the world. So innocent and trusting. I<3 her.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Well I guess I should make it "official." Pen will be living with my in-laws. He loves them, they love him, he gets along VERY well with their dog... It really hurts me to not get to see my boy every day, but I visit my in-laws frequently anyway since they only like 15 minutes away, and I know that this is the best option right now. My house is happy and calm, their house is happy and full of life... Win-win I suppose. Though I do love my boy <3

Oh, and obviously he will continue to go to the nursing home so I get to see him every other week at the VERY least for that :D

I'm SOOOO very lucky that I have this option and do not have to live in a crate/rotate situation.

Zoe got her RATI!

She was one of 13 dogs to do so in the first ever Barn Hunt Instinct Test in Alaska. I am so proud of her for working, even though she was really stressy. A dog barked on the other side of the blind, and she still went back to the tubes, but she was barely working. I'm sure there are people that watched who figure I just made a lucky guess, but I know her subtleties from Nose Work.

I don't think we'll get any qualifying legs in Novice, because she is so not into those tunnels, but right now I am just happy to see her working at something new and want her to have fun despite the fact that other dogs exist.

Sports that accommodate reactive dogs = win. Our first ribbon and first title.
Yay! Congrats :D

SpringerLover

Well I guess I should make it "official." Pen will be living with my in-laws. He loves them, they love him, he gets along VERY well with their dog... It really hurts me to not get to see my boy every day, but I visit my in-laws frequently anyway since they only like 15 minutes away, and I know that this is the best option right now. My house is happy and calm, their house is happy and full of life... Win-win I suppose. Though I do love my boy <3
That's really great. It is SO great that he'll still get to be part of your family, too!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I was kind of proud of myself today...

Had Cajun at the dog park, she was prancing around in the pond and this dog came charging at her and rammed into her and knocked her sideways into the water. I didn't think too much of it, accident right, exuberant dog? Except then Cajun comes out of the water and he charges at her AGAIN growling, but this time I think he got zapped with his e-collar because he stopped in the middle of it and ran away.

After watching him put on this show with a few other dogs, he started coming back towards Cajun and I... and as he was running toward her, I stepped out and blocked him. He ran into my legs, looked up at me, turned around and walked away. His owners witnessed the whole thing and I think there was NO mistake what message I was sending. They ended up leaving after that :cool:

I don't normally do "confrontation" so I was pretty pleased with myself for my split-second decision to try to protect my dog! And glad that it actually worked instead of just making me look silly lol.

SpringerLover

I was kind of proud of myself today...

Had Cajun at the dog park, she was prancing around in the pond and this dog came charging at her and rammed into her and knocked her sideways into the water. I didn't think too much of it, accident right, exuberant dog? Except then Cajun comes out of the water and he charges at her AGAIN growling, but this time I think he got zapped with his e-collar because he stopped in the middle of it and ran away.

After watching him put on this show with a few other dogs, he started coming back towards Cajun and I... and as he was running toward her, I stepped out and blocked him. He ran into my legs, looked up at me, turned around and walked away. His owners witnessed the whole thing and I think there was NO mistake what message I was sending. They ended up leaving after that :cool:

I don't normally do "confrontation" so I was pretty pleased with myself for my split-second decision to try to protect my dog! And glad that it actually worked instead of just making me look silly lol.
Good job! More people need to stand up to inconsiderate dog park people!

Sekah

The Monster.
So, Cohen, Megatron and I had the opportunity to perform at the All About Pets Show with Woofjocks yesterday. Such fun. Such wonderful trainers and amazing dogs. Of course, none of the action shots turned out since shooting indoors under fluorescents sucks. I'm hoping that someone, somewhere got some good ones but I'm not holding my breath.

The dogs did awesomely and I'm very proud of them. Cohen was a bit over tired and overworked when we went to perform our solo freestyle routine and we had to skip over a portion of it while I wrangled her focus back, but she was a champ and soldiered through it at the end. According to my sources in the audience, it still went over well. We did obedience, agility, flyball, high jump.. Very fun.

Mega has a bit of trouble with the noise and crowds but she's tiny and no one really needs her to DO anything other than look cute, so that worked out nicely.

Cohen was on one of the new posters the team had made up, so I had to snap a shot.

Last edited:

casey82

So, Cohen, Megatron and I had the opportunity to perform at the All About Pets Show with Woofjocks yesterday. Such fun. Such wonderful trainers and amazing dogs. Of course, none of the action shots turned out since shooting indoors under fluorescents sucks. I'm hoping that someone, somewhere got some good ones but I'm not holding my breath.

The dogs did well. She was a bit over tired and overworked when we went to perform our solo freestyle routine, but she was a champ and soldiered through it. According to my sources in the audience, it still went over well. We did obedience, agility, flyball, high jump.. Very fun.

Cohen was on one of the new posters the team had made up, so I had to snap a shot.

I heart Cohen so much! That is all.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Bit of gushing about my awesome dog.

We were visited family in Indiana these past few days and I cannot be more proud of how Abrams behaved himself. (Besides not knowing how to react in a multi-level house with a ton of people and other dogs.)

12 hour car ride north? He did great, even if he did bark at people at gas stations. First night in an unfamiliar location, after said car drive and no exericse? Perfect. He fell right asleep in his portable crate, that he had NEVER been exposed to before, without any fuss. He didn't care about the cats, he didn't care about the multiple dogs, and for the first time in his entire life he was able to be around Chloe without her trying to kill him because he actually respected her when she told him off. He was thrown into a lot of different situations - staying in a kennel outdoors in an unfamiliar area, staying in my car in busy parking lots while we ate out, a strange house he had never been in before and then had to sleep at, going from one place to another without Cynder, being off leash in unfamiliar areas - and he just took everything in stride. No anxiety, no nervousness, just, "Okay, sweet, what's next?!" On the trip back home he just dozed the entire time and when we stopped at gas stations or rest stops he didn't bark at anyone or anything. Got out, calmly did his business when asked, and went right back into the car and fell asleep.

I was so proud of him. <3 I love having a dog that takes everything in stride. I haven't had a dog like that since Blackie.

My travelling buddy on the way home:
He may aggravate the crap out of you ... By you know you love him <3 :D

Members online

No members online now.