Fencing in yard, items I might need/want for dog?

noludoru

Bored Now.
If he's going to keep on top of the grass, don't worry about gravel then. :D Just try and get some sturdy types of grass, because, IMO, no matter how well you keep on top of things the 'nicer' kinds of grass get easily worn down.

Coop, did you dig into the soil much for the sand pit? We need one of those for Middie, and I am thinking of doing it this summer. Problem is, we have red clay... ick. And it dried like.. well.. clay. So I shudder to think at the cost of the amount of sand I would probably need to use.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
i was just wondering lol whats a springpole???

I did a google search for springpoles and this was one of the images that came back in the results.

Basically, it's a pole that you hang a spring from and rope from and you tie one of your dog's favorite toys to and they run and grab onto it and hang from it. You can also use a piece of fur or cowhide instead of a toy. But it's a good workout for your dog.

ACooper

Spring poles look like GREAT fun! Looks like it would strengthen the bite too if you're into bite work! I bet that would go GREAT in the middle of a sandpit Becca!

Nolu, we don't have a clay issue so we only cleared the grass and turned about 4 inches or so down then added the sand. If Middie is a maniac digger you may need to REMOVE 4-5 inches of dirt/clay and then refill it with sand so you don't get that clay tracked in.

If you aren't worried about the clay being tracked in (any more than it probably already is, LOL) I would just turn about 4 inches add the sand and let HIM go deeper if he feels the need :D

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Well, I *think* the key is to make sure the dog's back feet can touch the ground and that they can push off if they choose, but I think the back feet are supposed to be able to touch the ground.

It actually strengthens the back, tummy, and legs.:D

Members online

No members online now.