Are you so much in love with your breed......

My breeds of choice are Great Danes and American pit bull terriers. I could never live without at least one dane, and even though I do not own a pit bull at the moment I do consider them my other heart breed. I can hardly wait to the day I can finally add one to the family.

But there are other breeds I would like to own as well..dobermans, patterdales, corsos, bull mastiffs.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I can't imagine not having a papillon... I love these dogs so much. They're all awesome and all so different, but yet so wonderful. They have consistently been the best dogs and best companions.

That said, I'd love more herders. Love their personality and their drive. Will probably not have another sheltie for a while, but I can definitely say that I will own at least a few other breeds. However, I just don't think I can ever love a breed the way I do the paps. I mean.... all my dogs are wonderful and I adore my two shelties (and my previous sheltie) but as a breed as a whole papillons are just the best.

cinnamon

You feel about papillions they way I feel about shelties :) But then, I haven't known any paps (except the ones I seen at shows).

My sheltie is a work in progress and will be for a looonnnggg time :) I was talking to a woman with a great dane and he was lovely. I like not having to bend down at all to pet the dog, lol.

corgi_love

I can't imagine not having a Cardigan.. I think that during my life I will always have at least one. But lately I am researching bigger breeds because all my life I've wanted one. My heart longs for a Newfie and a CAO..

Lizmo

Water Junkie
No. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Border Collie breed, but I cannot say I won't own another breed.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
You feel about papillions they way I feel about shelties :) But then, I haven't known any paps (except the ones I seen at shows).

My sheltie is a work in progress and will be for a looonnnggg time :) I was talking to a woman with a great dane and he was lovely. I like not having to bend down at all to pet the dog, lol.
Lol, yeah. With paps you have to bend even further. Short little guys, they are. ;)

Love shelties, they have a special place in my heart since they were really my 'childhood dogs'. I grew up with them as my best friends and they truly were. I think Paige feels the same way about her old sheltie as well. Our male sheltie has been a work in progress his entire life. He's a sweet dog, but has quite a few issues that I'd rather avoid which is why I probably won't have another for a long time.

I have been fortunate enough to have had lots of papillon interaction. I don't even want to start trying to count how many Papillons I know, lol! In fact, I've only had the breed for 4 years. I've had shelties much much longer. It's kind of funny. I always assumed shelties were 'my breed' as they were the ones I had for so long. Well.... papillons weren't a breed I'd have ever even glanced at (not my 'type' of dog) had my mother not wanted one and now look at me. Many papillons later it's kind of funny the way things work.

I can definitely buy having a 'heart breed' but heart dog, I still don't think I understand. I can't say I'm closer to one dog than another. Nik does have a very special place for me, though. But then again, I start thinking and so do the others.

Hillside

Original Twin
Well, I have an Aussie right now, but already have decided on a different breed for my next dog, a Malinois. I think though, that will most likely always have an Aussie in the house.

I will never be without a dane, but there is another breed my heart is set on when the time is right too. I see no problem with having more than one breed, but danes are my heart and I can't imagine not owning at least one.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I will own other breeds. I figure I would ideally always like to have 1 very drivey working b reed, be it rescue or from a breeder, 1 dog with show potential and 1 or 2 rescue. Eitehr way too big or small to be my sort of agility dog. I've fallen for pugs recently I just LOVE them to no end. And would really like one.

But I must always have my drivey dog that will always be ready to go when I am, otherwise I'll annoyt my other dogs to much.

the thing is though, the breed I live for is a breed I don't like the show lines of, and it's a breed that I won't get as my next dog because its probe to DA and I'm not doing that again till i know exactly how to handle it early next time. Kelpies really are the most gorgeous breed in existence. And the sad thing is every second pound dog is one or a mix of one, so depsite all my talk. i won't be surprised if I end up as one as my next dog.

For example, "bonno" and "jaffa" on this page
http://awlqld.com.au/rehoming_new.htm?dogsmedium.htm

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
I will ALWAYS have an American Cocker Spaniel I am just totally in love with the breed.

But I will own other breeds in the future im sure and mutts. For instance this time next year I will be the proud owner of a Clumber Spaniel.

Paige

Let it be
Lol, yeah. With paps you have to bend even further. Short little guys, they are. ;)

Love shelties, they have a special place in my heart since they were really my 'childhood dogs'. I grew up with them as my best friends and they truly were. I think Paige feels the same way about her old sheltie as well. Our male sheltie has been a work in progress his entire life. He's a sweet dog, but has quite a few issues that I'd rather avoid which is why I probably won't have another for a long time.

I have been fortunate enough to have had lots of papillon interaction. I don't even want to start trying to count how many Papillons I know, lol! In fact, I've only had the breed for 4 years. I've had shelties much much longer. It's kind of funny. I always assumed shelties were 'my breed' as they were the ones I had for so long. Well.... papillons weren't a breed I'd have ever even glanced at (not my 'type' of dog) had my mother not wanted one and now look at me. Many papillons later it's kind of funny the way things work.

I can definitely buy having a 'heart breed' but heart dog, I still don't think I understand. I can't say I'm closer to one dog than another. Nik does have a very special place for me, though. But then again, I start thinking and so do the others.
Shelby was my heart dog. Her and I were glued at the hip from the day she came home till the day she died. She was my first dog. No one will ever replace that place she has in my heart. May she rest in peace.

I also consider Bandit my heart dog. I don't love him any more than my other dogs. I love him different. I don't know if I'm crazy but it feels like he needs me just as much as I need him. I'm closer to him more than Spanky because when Shelby died we were both hurting. I had lost my best friend and he had lost his family (Who didn't care about him to begin with). We're both hard headed little jerk faces who don't give up easy but that's why we get on so well. He's my little angel in a fur coat.

A Sheltie was my heart dog but I wouldn't consider them my heart breed. At the time Shelby was a live they were. Now that I have the boys it's Border Collies. Who knows what the future will bring.

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
I think you see more of the "I'll only have this breed of dog" on the forums that are breed specific. I know there are a number of people on both my chow forum and my GSD forum who ONLY want those particular breeds. Chazhound is much more relaxed.

When I was younger I was open to more breeds. I always wanted a GSD, but didn't close my mind to others. But as I've experienced various breeds through the years (and having taught obedience for nearly 20 years and seen most of the breeds out there) I've found that there are certain traits that just suit me the best. Chows suit me absolutely the best. GSD's are a close second. I doubt I'll ever have any other breeds at this point. By the time I get one or two of each breed I have plenty of dogs to fill my life!

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I love and respect all types of dogs...

But, as far as the absolute BEST fit for me, I feel that is Corgis. Cardigans in particular, but I'm sure I will have a Pemmie someday, too. Fozzie is an amazing fit for me... we're basically perfect for each other, and act a lot like each other. My friends all say we have the same personality. And Fozzie has the same temperament that a Cardi should, even though he's a mix.

I adore Border Collies, as well. I hope I always have at least one. But, I doubt that I will ever find a BC that fits me like Gonzo does. I don't think I'll ever bond NEARLY as closely with any dog, regardless of breed. And I'm ok with that. : )

Juicy

I never had a heart breed. I had a heart dog, but her breed isn't wasn't what earned her that titled. Her breed isn't a breed for me, I believe.

I always had different breeds, never the same breed. These dogs always came to me, I never went a got a certain type of dog, because of its breed. I have had favorite breeds, but alas some are not breeds I would own, because of maintance, temperment, or whatever.

I do have one breed in mind for the future, and that is a bull terrier. I'm not sure if I do get one that it'll be a breed I'll always have. But every bull terrier I've ran into, I completey fall in love with. They're very goofy and active, and I think this might be the breed that could fit me best out of all the dog breeds.

Otherwise whatever breed comes my way, is the breed I'm going to have. I like to adopt dogs and who knows which dog nevermind the breed you're going to fall in love with when you go and look for a dog to adopt.....and sometimes dogs are just ''dumped'' on me.

LauraLeigh

I have to say I have never heard the term "Heart Dog" before.... but it would likely be the best way to describe how I felt about Zorro.... He was my heart, my baby, my little man.... I will say I respect that many love all their animals equal, however I freely admit Zorro had an extra special spot in my heart pretty much from the moment I laid eyes on him as a baby, I was so torn by his loss and the guilt of feeling "Why him??"

Juicy

I have to say I have never heard the term "Heart Dog" before.... but it would likely be the best way to describe how I felt about Zorro.... He was my heart, my baby, my little man.... I will say I respect that many love all their animals equal, however I freely admit Zorro had an extra special spot in my heart pretty much from the moment I laid eyes on him as a baby, I was so torn by his loss and the guilt of feeling "Why him??"
Exactly how I felt about Didi, except she wasn't my little man :p

I dreaded the day that I would of to ever lose her, and I just KNEW it would hit me the hardest more than any other dog. I would say I grieved/cried more when my shih tzu got killed by a car. But never do I think as much as I do about my special little girl.

Members online

No members online now.