I want a dog..but I just can't.

This is something thats really been bothering me..I feel so silly tho.

I WANT A DOG! They are just so cool and just so awesome to have...
But I know for a fact that I am not ready again.

I never post about Pepper much, I don't know why..I just feel so ashamed.
Don't get me wrong! She is an amazing dog..
She was tough...she was a difficult dog, not mean...not anything like that, she was just a difficult breed for a first time dog owner.
She wasn't the right dog for the way we lived...
I know people say that a bigger dog CAN live well in an apartment with lots and lots of walks..but she was only about 40 pounds, bundles of energy...we took her out a lot for runs, but it wasn't enough. She needed space and where she could just run freely at anytime.

And she wasn't trained very well...I am not blaming her of course, we just weren't ready and I know it wasn't right to get a dog..but we did.
She is with my uncle now who is an hour, and his 2 dogs..so she is doing great.

But I want another dog. I don't know about my mom, but there are some major things that I have to overcome myself.

I know this thread is kinda outta the blue...since I barely ever post in the dog sections anymore. But I feel like I can trust Chaz forums because its one of the only forums that people admit that their dogs aren't perfect and they recieve great advice when they ask questions.

I am not sure...the vet wasn't sure, but there are a lot of people who think she is Pit Bull/Shepherd? I'm not to sure, but just wanted to mention that.
Many people thought she might be greyhound too! lol

She was a little aggressive...not against dogs...not really against people, let me just say that she needed her space..and you shouldn't invade that.
I'm had her snap at me and that is one of the main reasons I don't want another dog. I am scared...I know that you can't show that around them..but I am...I don't want to barely go near a dog(that I know) that has a bone...or something.

Actually, that is the main reason I am not ready for another dog. I have to overcome that...

I just feel so guilty and a failure of a dog owner because she is with my uncle. Even tho she is doing better I just feel so guilty. And I've kept it all bottled up inside, and being on a couple dog related forums..I just can't anymore.

So um..this post is more about me..but it's dog related, but still might need to move it.

Anyways, I just want to overcome the fear and stuff...

-Ali

Juicy

awww don't beat yourself up. It was not your fault. I got a wrong breed [not 1st time dog owner] and had to give it up, because it was the wrong breed for me. Sometimes people don't know ny better. She was an akita mix, sweet as can be, but handled way too tough [not good with smll children around] and was Da. Now had I known better about akita's temperments I wouldn't have gotten her when I went to the adopt-a-ton. Now I know better than just get any breed when I adopt a dog and I need to have atleast some sort of research of the breed before getting it.

Have you thought of fostering for the meanwhile? I know the ''wants'' are very hard to ignore. You can see if your suitable for a dog, without the responsibility of a lifetime commitment to the dog.

also sometimes dogs just ''come to us''. I never image owning any the of the breeds I have, but I did quite well with raising them.

Dekka

Just try me..
I think you are very wise to take your time and wait till you are ready. And just think you know so much more now. I KNOW you will get the right dog next time around.

Ali . . . . have you thought about spending some time volunteering at a shelter and getting to know some of the dogs?

And talk to your mom about how you are feeling . . . she might be missing having a dog too, and it would be good for both of you to talk about it.

bubbatd

Good posts folks ..... your Mom has to be part of this decision , You'll be moving on in your life and chances are the dog will stay home . Get your dog fix at this point with shelter, dog sitting/walking and fostering .

Members online

No members online now.