Levi and agility

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Levi is alittle more than 3 months old, and I know that I can't start him in REAL agility until he's about 6 months :( . But where can I get a starter kit w/ the agility equipment in it? Either on the web or at a Pet Store, so he can get use to the equipment and go ahead and learn how to do some of the stuff. Because I think he would b good at the jumping poles and the tire jump. :D

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....

tcreed

I agree he's too young for full fledge agility, but Dante has been taking puppy agility since he was 2 months old. they teach them tunnels, and chutes, and jumps that are just poles on the ground. He's now 5 months old, and loves his agility classes.

Doberluv

If he's a larger type dog, he shouldn't be doing much until he's 18 months to 2 yrs of age. He can damage the growth plates in his long bones. He can do very low jumps and the weave poles slowly. But any wild, jerking, repetative movements can be damaging. But there might be a puppy agility class in your area where they start you out so your dog can still have fun but not hurt his bones and joints. I started Lyric, my Dobe at around 6 or 7 months with very easy does it kind of agility.

I think that website with the starter kit looks like a rip off. (no offense Beagle lover girl...nothing personal there)All you're getting is some cheap looking weave poles and a tunnel which appears very short and one jump and some other odds and ends which you could do easily yourself.

There are a lot of sites you can look for which will show you how to make your own agility equipment, some of which is using pvc piping. If you buy the real stuff already made, it's very expensive.

I think someone on here was making their own and showed pictures. You might try doing a search on this forum for equipment. Good luck. It's fun.

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
I do agree that you could build them for much cheaper but my friend got one of those because she didn't want to build one and its not THAT bad since if you would buy,lets say,the open tunnel (It stretches to 16 ft) you'd use at least 20 dollars already. The weave poles and high ju mpwould be another 40 dollars so thats already 60 dollars. Of course I'd rather make my own but its not as badas you think. No offesence though :)

tcreed

The kit at Petsmart has a tunnel that is only 5 feet long, and the jump is very weak. But if you didn't want to try to build yourself it might be adequate. The weave poles also stake in the ground, and the problem with puppies and weaves is that it should be done sparingly so that it doesn't hurt their shoulders.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
thanks everyone...sorry I haven't responded sooner, I've been on vacation and just got back 2day. Thanks, and he is a meduim sized breed, look up Australian Cattle Dog or Blue Heeler and you can see what size he is. I will look at the PetsMart link. Thanks every1 for the advice!!!

Members online

No members online now.