Collars

Because we totally don't have enough collar threads.

Hudson's nylon collar he got for Christmas is officially too small, well too small for my liking. I'm looking for just an all-purpose, every day type collar. I'm leaning toward a Lupine martingale just because....why not.

Suggestions? Favorite brands? Favorite types?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm a big fan of Morgan Collars :D

Other than the owner being a chazzer ;) she's donated quite a few to the ferret rescue for fundraising, and I've bought some for each of the pets (including Rosey), and they've just held up wonderfully. Wash easily, and Rosey's lasted quite a while! (I still have hers, actually)

ETA: I just have buckle collars, but I'm pretty sure she does martingales as well

JacksonsMom

Jackson's Paco Collar is his 'everyday' collar pretty much. But they're pricey, not sure what you're willing to spend. It wouldn't be my first choice for water-related activities but lots have them hold up well apparently.

(I have this one in tan/brass, and I LOVE this collar. I have never been happier with a collar. Only thing that sucks is the tan has darkened up a bit, since it's been used practically every day, out in sun, it's gotten wet a few times, etc, but still amazingly soft).

When he's going to be swimming in the pool, he wears his Kong collars from Petsmart. I also just got a vegan from Ella's Lead that we haven't tried out yet. I really like the Kong products though, and you can get them at Petsmart. They're plain, but still cool looking, IMO, and great for outdoor activities and getting dirty.

Besides leather, I really like Up Country collars. I only have one but I've seen others and really like the quality, and the cute designs.

Oh check out Cali Girl Collars as well. Cheaper than a lot of other leather sites, but great quality! We have one collar, and he just never wears it because it's not tapered at the buckle, I should've gotten it. I've heard good things about Karma Collars as well.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin's simple everyday collar is a chucklehounds bowtie :) It's a small business and she is super nice. The collar is light, sturdy, well made, and the bow tie STAYS ON and can be switched to any other collar, which is lovely. They are also pretty inexpensive so I don't mind too much if he gets gross in them

He has a hunting dog supply tufflex collar for water/gross activities. It has a free ID name plate and for $13 price can't be beat! They are biothane so stink/gross/water proof and feels like leather
http://www.gundogsupply.com/k-9-komfort-center-ring-w--dee-1--collar.html

but yea those are his basic everyday collars.

My boys live in their Pacos as well. Bristol would, but Diesel eats them unfortunately so she has collars from all over, various etsy people, some red dingos, rc pets, just whatever I find that I like. Ad that will match her outfits lol.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Keep in mind that martingale style collars can be easier to snag on things. I use collars mostly when we're out and about so I love martingales for the extra security, but they aren't always the best for just everyday wear, esp if the dog will be unsupervised with the collar on (mine never are).

For everyday collars we use our Fox Valley reflective martingales or our Gun Dog Supply Tufflex collars mostly.

For longer coated dogs, a nice rolled leather or White Pine collar might be nice since they wouldn't break coat.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
For everyday walks, I generally use my Lupine martingales. But if they are wearing them in the house/yard (which is rare), they just have simple rolled leather collars.

Thanks guys. I'm not sure I want to go with a Paco, or Ella's or any of the higher priced collars just because I'm not sure how much more he'll grow. He's a few days over 7 months and since Christmas I've lengthened his collar about 2 inches.

He does not wear a collar when he is in his crate just because one day he went in and managed to snag it on something. So I'd just rather not. I also keep his collar pretty loose and do all of our walks in a harness. I basically just use the collar as something to hang his tags from and for quick potty breaks outside.

I really like the rolled leather collars and will be getting him one for his 1 year birthday :)

Lupine here, the fancy collars are nice, but when you've got a pup Lupine's absolute guarantee even if chewed is a plus. Mine have been through, everything, the woods, streams, barn, field, sheep poo, rain, snow, swimming pool, swamp, they just wash up and dry so much easier than other nylon or fabric collars I've tried, they last. Both of mine are the martingales.

MicksMom

Caleb's sporting a chain martingale from The Cozy Critter (in AF tiger camo, of course! :) ) I've found that the martingales with the cloth loop don't "relax" like the chain ones do. The only draw back to Caleb's collar is that can get a little stinky in the summer from all the water play. I usualy switch to a biothane type collar then. He has a nice on from Mendota now that looks like leather. Previously he had an orange one made by Remington.

Brattina88

I like Lupine and Morgan Collars, I think the martingales are good for a growing pup, one that could easily slip a collar (like Bailey). Now that she's filled out she wears a rolled leather collar I like it because it doesn't crease her fur. Maddie's everyday collar is ellaslead

When he grown and you do decide on a more expensive I forgot to mention Greenbelts on etsy, she is fantastic, I drool over hers all the time! They are leather as well and diesel will eat them, and did in fact, so we don't have one now, but I loved it!

Mine don't wear collars around the house or yard, but for everyday walks and such my go-to for Maisy and Squash are their limited slips from Alpine Outfitters - very plain but at $4, can't beat the price.

I also have some EL/ Karma/ Etsy collars that are fancier. Pip's EL vegan is his go-to because he swims so much in the summer.

SaraB

I ended up with just a plain Jane Lupine buckle collar because it's what the pet store has. It also is giving me a chance to see a 1" on him. His last collar was a Christmas present, so I'm not sure how wide, maybe 1/2", but I really liked the narrow collar on him. Now that he's in a 1" in really like the wider collar on him.

I'll get pictures of it on here a little later today or tomorrow.

Members online

No members online now.