Is the Dog Fancy Changing?

crazedACD

I love ALL dogs. I'm serious. I think some are assholes, and some are obnoxious, and so forth..but I really can't say I don't love them. I've worked in boarding kennels and other various dog-oriented places and it gives you a huge appreciation for all dogs. Alright...well that pair of labs likes to poop everywhere, smear it, and swim in their water buckets...but you let them out and they dive in the pool and they roar around and throw toys at you and are SO happy. Or that peekachiapompomdoodlewhadadingdong tries to nail you when it comes in...and then you take it where it is quiet and sit down and it crawls in your lap to love on you. Just because that dog isn't great in that situation doesn't mean it's not a good dog and not worthy of 'being'. Nor should you look down on someone that has chosen to own that dog..you can't possibly know the whole situation.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
There are plenty of breeds of dogs I would not own for XYZ reason. I still can find things to enjoy about them. I still like getting to see them and be around them even if we're not a good fit as far as owning them.

There was a time where I really didn't like some breeds. Then I met a dog of my 'least favorite breed' that I absolutely adored. And I realized that disliking a breed is kind of silly. Breeds are made of individuals and I like individual dogs. Even if I wouldn't own a breed, I can still like the individuals that make up that breed. The more dogs I am around, the more individual dogs I get to know and discover I like. Even of breeds I'm generally not very drawn to.

Heck, I used to hate toy dogs. :p That worked out well for me.

There have only been a couple dogs I outright did not like. And those were a couple basketcases that were terribly unstable and also not handled well. It had nothing to do with the breed at all.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I love ALL dogs. I'm serious. I think some are assholes, and some are obnoxious, and so forth..but I really can't say I don't love them. I've worked in boarding kennels and other various dog-oriented places and it gives you a huge appreciation for all dogs. Alright...well that pair of labs likes to poop everywhere, smear it, and swim in their water buckets...but you let them out and they dive in the pool and they roar around and throw toys at you and are SO happy. Or that peekachiapompomdoodlewhadadingdong tries to nail you when it comes in...and then you take it where it is quiet and sit down and it crawls in your lap to love on you. Just because that dog isn't great in that situation doesn't mean it's not a good dog and not worthy of 'being'. Nor should you look down on someone that has chosen to own that dog..you can't possibly know the whole situation.
:hail::hail::hail:

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
You are all missing the point and going right back into the "better than yours" attitude. The point of the article was YOUR individual loves and hates. And "I can kinda find something to like about a dog" is not the same as how you feel about your own chosens. "um hes not a total loss?" is not the same as "i love you because youre a dog and youre wonderful"

and **** off with that "has enough snobbery for the whole board" I never once ****ing said that was my view, but I understand the point of the post and the article apparently better than all of you, if I can explain it and its not even my perspective! :rolleyes: puhleeze, i HAVE a designer mix, and my breed doesnt even know what bloody breeds went into it, so purebred elitism is not possible > >

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What?

Like I said, of freaking course we all like our dogs the best. That's why we have our dogs.

But all dog people should love dogs at an individual level. Several of my friends have dogs of breeds that I would never own. I can still love and enjoy their dogs and appreciate how much they love their dogs.

BostonBanker

That's not the point I get from the article at all. Like Laurelin said, of course we love our dogs best. If my dogs are crated in a building on fire and I don't have time to let all the dogs out, guess what - I'm getting mine out.

But - am I just as excited for someone on here who gets a BYB lab puppy or gets a rescue dog as Fran who got her puppy from a great breeder or Sara who is importing her puppy? Absolutely. Because that puppy should be the most amazing wonderful grand puppy in the world to their new owner. That should be the puppy they would run into the burning building to save and the one that should make them squee and and coo when it walks up to them. And the person who says or does anything to make them feel that puppy is less than the most spectacular bit of dogdom to ever exist should be smacked. Not one of those puppies is more or less worthy of being adored and put on a pedestal by their owner. As the quoted bit of the article said - go get the handbag you want. There's nothing wrong with knowing what you like and getting it, but don't make judgements against those who make a different choice.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
If everyone but you misses the point is it a case for a badly written article, you're being smarter, or maybe you are miss-interrupting it?

My mother has been an amazing teacher for over 35 years. She loves kids, loves teaching, loves mothering. That said she has never and will never love any kids more than her own, period. She is not snobbish, nor elitist, she has given her life to helping these kids graduate, understand, and overcome life challenges beyond education. This is an act of love, an act of passion. The accusation that just because she wouldn't pick a student over her child in a pivotal "the good son" scene is preposterous and a clear example of one who cannot understand the reality that all love is not created equally and just because you can pick amongst when need be does not mean you lack emotion for the alternative option.

I love my dogs. I love dogs, I could not handle my 13 hour days filled with biting, noise, poop, pee, and body checking if I did not. When my clients, or any dogs, experience joy I am instantly happier, when they experience pain or fear I feel for them and want to fix their issues. I don't care their breed in the end. I positively get excited over certain breeds and brace myself over others (such as boxers, while my crew of the breed are dog friendly they don't read dogs well and it is a work in progress to teach them when to back off, this doesn't make them a bad breed), it's called experience and expectations but I have been pleasantly surprised and thus am constantly checking myself with an open mind.

The point is an accusation has been made that we of the dog fancy do not respect, love, and value doodles and shelter mutts. The response I have is although many out there do feel this way they are not the majority. Many in my breeds own dogs like livestock, some even admit it with pride questioning why one would do otherwise, but I cannot fathom presuming these are the majority and thus creating blanket statements and accusation that are hurtful to the true majority.

Flyinsbt

The point is an accusation has been made that we of the dog fancy do not respect, love, and value doodles and shelter mutts. The response I have is although many out there do feel this way they are not the majority. Many in my breeds own dogs like livestock, some even admit it with pride questioning why one would do otherwise, but I cannot fathom presuming these are the majority and thus creating blanket statements and accusation that are hurtful to the true majority.
Yup. And we're not even supposed to respect, love, and value our own breed if the pup in question has a serious fault according to the breed standard.:rolleyes:
:confused:

Members online