feral kitten problem

Pupcake

I live in an apartment complex and had been feeding 4 feral kittens for several weeks. I think they're about 3 months old. One of them recently drowned in our apartment complex pool. The end result of this incident was that I panicked and trapped the other 3 and they're now in my not-very-big apartment. They do NOT like being in the apartment and due to asthma, I can't keep them anyhow. I have contacted various rescue groups in my area and they all give the same advice - neuter and return. Everyone I've talked to has told me they're too old to tame. I'm afraid to let them back outside though.

Does anyone here have any advice at all besides neuter and return?

Thanks.

Maxy24

It's going to be hard to find someone willing to adopt a feral cat, as unfortunate as it is I wouldn't want one. Not that they can't be tamed, some can and some can't. Around here we have rescues that take in semi-ferals. I volunteered at one which had two entire semi-feral room where the cats had free run together. I don't know if you have anywhere like that. I'd say your best bet is to have them neutered and find a person looking for a barn cat. They'll be fed and have shelter. It's not as safe as living in a home as a pet, but it's likely better than just letting them back out in a busy area.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
It's going to be hard to find someone willing to adopt a feral cat, as unfortunate as it is I wouldn't want one. Not that they can't be tamed, some can and some can't. Around here we have rescues that take in semi-ferals. I volunteered at one which had two entire semi-feral room where the cats had free run together. I don't know if you have anywhere like that. I'd say your best bet is to have them neutered and find a person looking for a barn cat. They'll be fed and have shelter. It's not as safe as living in a home as a pet, but it's likely better than just letting them back out in a busy area.
^ This, basically.

You can try to tame them and see what happens. (I realize you may not be able to keep them that long.) Histamine was half their age, granted, but I was pleasantly surprised by how she turned out.

Some shelters/rescues have a feral adoption program, where they TNR to barn homes. You could see if anyone in your area does that.

Otherwise, like Maxy said, trying to place them in a country/barn home. Which is easier said than done, because typically barn homes are overrun by people dumping their cats on them. (Which is extremely frustrating when they have their own personal outdoor pet cats, and then the new unwanted cats chase the pet cats off, so you have to trap the new cats and work on finding them an appropriate place to go...)

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
It may not be the popular idea but either find someone to take them or take them to a shelter. If you stall much longer you will need to get them fixed within the month or you will have more kittens. You wont believe how young cats will manage to get knocked up.

Leaving them free roaming feral is not humane for them or wildlife.

Members online

No members online now.