BC Breeders in the Midwest?

Hey everyone! My friend is looking for a BC puppy (this is NOT her first dog, she is very experienced). She says she can't find any reputable breeders in the Midwest (preferably in MI) so I'm asking you guys! Any experience in Midwest BC breeders? ;)

BostonBanker

Do you know more specifically what she is looking for? Sport dog, herding dog, pet? Reputable can mean very different things with such a big breed divide.

Depends on what she is looking for, but in the agility world I have heard a lot of good things about rising sun farm here in mn for their australian shepherds and border collies. I think she also has farm animals too if I remember right that they get to watch so she may be good for possible herding dogs as well.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Depends on what she is looking for, but in the agility world I have heard a lot of good things about rising sun farm here in mn for their australian shepherds and border collies. I think she also has farm animals too if I remember right that they get to watch so she may be good for possible herding dogs as well.
Wouldn't touch rising sun with a ten foot pole even if I was in the market for a sports bred dog. I'll pm you.

BostonBanker

Wouldn't touch rising sun with a ten foot pole even if I was in the market for a sports bred dog.
I've been warned off of them as well; I don't have specifics, but enough people I trust have said "bad idea" to make me turn away. However much I like the look of some of their boys.

milos_mommy

I've never heard of Rising Sun, but I just looked through their website and it raised a ton of red flags. First of all a breeder with 5 litters planned for 2015 is a breeder I don't want much to do with, and their health testing looks horrible questionable from the site. I'm also automatically skeptical of any breeder who plasters their AKC breeder of merit status all over their page, because it means literally nothing. They also appear to be taking deposits online via PayPal or credit card without any kind of background check or interview?

noludoru

Bored Now.
PayPal deposits? Holy ****ing ****.

Chazzers unwilling to say publicly the things they know about this "breeder?" OMFG. Run, don't walk.

ETA: And they have Bengals they breed + three studs? And Aussies?

ALSO THEY HAVE MY PARENTS NAMES. SUPER CREEPED OUT. That alone means puppy buyers should run. ;)

milos_mommy

PayPal deposits? Holy ****ing ****.

Chazzers unwilling to say publicly the things they know about this "breeder?" OMFG. Run, don't walk.
...I actually have no idea if this is sarcastic or not.

I'm not skeeved out by PayPal, but taking money for your puppies from people you've never even spoken to seems incredibly sketchy as far as responsible breeders go. And it kind of seems like "if you're willing to pay for a puppy, we will make you one."

amberdyan

I've never heard of Rising Sun, but I just looked through their website and it raised a ton of red flags. First of all a breeder with 5 litters planned for 2015 is a breeder I don't want much to do with, and their health testing looks horrible questionable from the site. I'm also automatically skeptical of any breeder who plasters their AKC breeder of merit status all over their page, because it means literally nothing. They also appear to be taking deposits online via PayPal or credit card without any kind of background check or interview?
haha, I got curious and looked as well. Several red flags. I just ignored the "breeder of merit" thing, didn't even think about how plastering it all over could be sketchy, that's a good point. It's on nearly every page.

I was mostly perturbed by the sheer number of dogs/cats and litters every year, as well as the ability to make a deposit without ever having spoken to them... I don't know enough about health testing to make any calls but if I was looking for a breeder, it wouldn't be that one.

Oh wow, I haven't checked out their website until now just was going off some peoples word of mouth. It also doesn't appear that they title their dogs?

The breeder of merit thing doesn't bother me too much, as it seems all breeders throw it in their somewhere, but it seems to be everywhere on the site.

The thing that bothers me the most about her website is the paypal deposit thing before even knowing and talking to a future puppy owners..

I should've looked at her site, I retract my statement. Although, I have heard people that say their puppies have great drives and excel in agility. But their website does not make them look reputable..

Michiyo-Fir

I just found this website that might be of interest/use to you.

I don't know when it started but there's currently some sort of database for BCs that are from known breeders (i.e. not rescues) that have developed epilepsy.

Although I don't know anything about Rising Sun, they are on the epilepsy list along with a few other kennels.

Might be worthwhile to take a look, although I don't really know how legitimate this site is. It appears owners submit their information if their BC is epileptic.

http://en-epilepsybc.weebly.com/usa.html

milos_mommy

*disclaimer, I know very little about BCs and even less about breeders of them.

But, I have heard Jawanna's name mentioned as a reputable one, and nothing on their website gives me cause for concern. If I was looking in the area, I'd definitely contact them and try to visit.

I have a question for BC people....the only thing that stood out on their website (not badly) is the look of their dogs. They look....weird? I don't know how to word it. One of the dog has entirely prick ears, they seem to own every color imaginable (but mostly all their past pups are black and white), and TBH some of them imports I wouldn't even recognize as pure BC. Is this typical in the breed? And why are all their dogs crazy colors when the sold pups mostly aren't? Do they just keep/seek out unusual colors for themselves?

BostonBanker

I have a question for BC people....the only thing that stood out on their website (not badly) is the look of their dogs. They look....weird? I don't know how to word it. One of the dog has entirely prick ears, they seem to own every color imaginable (but mostly all their past pups are black and white), and TBH some of them imports I wouldn't even recognize as pure BC. Is this typical in the breed?
There are a lot of things that would turn me off the breeder, but the looks would be about the least of it. Remember there really wasn't a physical standard for the breed until fairly recently, so they are incredibly diverse. And I know a lot of border collie owners who use up a lot of tape to get prick ears (or who simply fall over in joy when the ears go up by themselves).

Beyond that, it isn't a breeder that would appeal to me at all based on what I can see from the website. I know absolutely nothing about them otherwise and have never met any of the dogs from there, so take it with a grain of salt.

milos_mommy

And I know a lot of border collie owners who use up a lot of tape to get prick ears (or who simply fall over in joy when the ears go up by themselves).
You learn something new every day.

I knew working bred BCs aren't bred for their looks and therefore can look like anything, but these guys are all over the place. Most breeders I've seen, even if the dogs don't look "typical", they have a similar look to one another.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Full prick ears are very common in border collies. And a lot of sport people tape for prick ears too.

milos_mommy

Full prick ears are very common in border collies. And a lot of sport people tape for prick ears too.
I guess I do see a lot of BC with prick ears and don't really think about it because they look right...these dogs just look so different to me. some of them I wouldn't even recognize as BCs.

ETA the dog's ears that I'm talking about look almost like a spitz ear. Thick ear leather, super furry

Members online