Bringing a puppy home on a plane

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
p.s Im also starting to understand your reasoning for changing your plans :rolleyes:
So, it's pretty apparent that you want a koolie and plan to get a koolie, but don't like the way they are being produced. Because you keep making backhanded remarks about it. Have you considered making a separate thread and just saying everything that you want to say instead of the little nitpicky comments that you leave in every thread about koolies?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
So, it's pretty apparent that you want a koolie and plan to get a koolie, but don't like the way they are being produced. Because you keep making backhanded remarks about it. Have you considered making a separate thread and just saying everything that you want to say instead of the little nitpicky comments that you leave in every thread about koolies?
Thank You PDub :D

Lizmo

Water Junkie
^yeah, wow. She hasn't said, or even *hinted* at the reason for a change in breeds. Let's please not turn this thread into something it definitely is not!

Whatever her reason is, it's her choice. It's not something that needs to be hashed out by us.

Toller_08

Belgian? Aussie? Border Collie?

I know, I'm being nosy. Secretly hoping for terv puppy pics. Cause Fran is providing the Aussie pics for now.
It is one of those, but that is all I will say for now! Hoping for some super exciting news in about a week to share with all of you, but until I get more news, you'll just have to keep guessing. :p

My puppy just slept through the entire transAtlantic flight. But having the breeder get the puppy used to a crate is probably very helpful. If you stick a puppy in crate that has never been in a crate, likely it's going to cry.
The breeder gets her puppies used to all sorts of different things and a crate is one of them, so we should be good there. Although I am sure there is a good chance puppy still might put up a bit of a fuss.

Or, is it a husky?!
Haha, no, my mom would kill me. She will never live with a husky. And since I have no desire to live all by myself, no husky for me. Plus, I also decided that as much as I really do like them, there are breeds better suited to me. So I'll just enjoy other peoples' huskies!

My money is on Aussie or Border Collie. :p

Since you won't satisfy our curiosity as to the new breed of choice, will you share what happened to Koolie plans? I'm sure that wasn't an easy decision to make, it seems like you were very ready for the new pup. :(
I am more than ready for a new puppy. Been waiting a long time now! It's kind of hard to explain, and I won't get into detail just because I don't want to accidentally start something, but I didn't feel 100% right about a few things. And to me, a puppy buying experience should be completely exciting and something to look forward to and feel right. I was bombarded by different people (one out of honest concern for the breeder choice, but others were interrogatingly rude), which I tried not to let bother me because I don't actually know these people and shouldn't necessarily let them affect my life, but it did bother me. And I also had a couple breeder hangups, which are nothing against the breeder (they consistently produce awesome dogs that I would have been thrilled to have one of), but just my own feelings combined with a bit of guilt brought on by things other people said (which, again, is all me - I didn't have to 'let' them make me feel guilty).

I just decided that I could find another breed from a breeder I love basically everything about who also produces super dogs that I know will fit me well. And I don't have to bother with what other people are thinking and saying either. I can be proud of my dog, where she came from, and any accomplishments with her without worrying about negative backlash at all. And it's a breed I've loved for years and years, so I feel really, really good and relieved about everything. Everything feels so comfortably right that it's kind of weird, considering how much I was hoping for a different breed entirely.

I am a little sad, because I do really love Koolies, but I think everything works out the way it's supposed to and don't regret my decision to decline that puppy. One day I will have a Koolie. Just now is not the time.

Saeleofu

I flew to pick up Logan, but he was not a tiny puppy. He was a year old.

I bought a crate and shipped it to the breeder so it was there for me. We took him to the airport, and when we asked they said he had to be already crated when we brought him into the airport. We took him to the counter to check in and get my boarding pass (and Mel's gate pass...she was kind enough to accompany me to the terminal and even wait for my plane to board before leaving me :)). After that, we had to take him to some inspection window where we waited around for a long time and finally someone came to inspect his crate. They had me take him out of the crate (so obviously bring a collar and leash) and they did whatever it is they do. He was actually a bit big for the crate, so I made him lay down anytime anyone official was looking at him - the last thing I needed was to get booted off the flight because his ears were too tall (we also glued his ears down, which conveniently made them shorter in addition to training them to tip ;)). After inspection they had me load him up again, and the wheeled the crate off to be loaded. There was no walking him or taking him out of the crate at all for anything other than the inspection. When I got to the next airport for my layover, they took him off one plane and put him on the next, then gave me a little note stating he was safely loaded onto the plane (this was delivered after I boarded, so I knew he was on the right plane). I saw him out on the tarmac and he was being absolutely wonderful .So very nonchalant about the whole thing. When we arrive at our home airport, he was delivered to baggage claim and was guarded by a live person until I made it there to collect him. He got in the car at something like 3am and didn't get a chance to pee until almost 2pm (actually corrected for time zones it would have been nearly 12pm) when we got home. He didn't have any accidents - but he was a year old.

Make sure it is an airline approved crate. Bring a bath mat to put in the crate - padding and warmth without slippage. Freeze the required water bowl overnight so that it doesn't spill. Don't forget to tape a bag of kibble to the crate in case of delays, and an empty bowl in the crate (attached to the door) to put said kibble in. Don't forget the required stickers (live animal, species identification, your info, etc), though they did have extras at the counter when I flew Logan (and when I shipped Tango). Bring zip ties to shut the door (tamper evident) and to reinforce the bolts. If the crate has something other than bolts holding it together, it is required to be zip tied. Again they usually have extras at the counter. Bring stuff to clean your puppy up with in case he does have an accident in the crate - waterless shampoo, towels, etc - or have them waiting in the car that picks you up from the airport. Make sure you have a rabies certificate (official one - that's USDA if you're in the US, not sure what elsewhere), letter of acclimation (for hot or cld, depending...we almost got stuck in Denver because the vet made Logan's letter of acclimation for cold weather but not hot weather. BUT had he made it for hot and not cold, we could have been stuck in Seattle. It was very close to the cutoff on the cold side in Denver and on the hot side here in Wichita. I don't think they're allowed to have a regular collar on in their crate - I can't remember. I think I put a name tag from the clinic on Tango when I shipped him - just a thin, light paper/plastic strip with his name and contact info. You might ask your vet if they'll give you a couple for the flight (they're dirt cheap). It's safer than a regular collar and tags for a flight anyway, even if regular collar and tags are allowed. It might be a good idea to microchip prior to flying, too, though Logan wasn't chipped yet. Tango was chipped already.

It's late so I can't think of anything else right now, but it really wasn't that bad. Both flying with Logan in cargo and shipping Tango without me accompanying him wen MUCH more smoothly than I expected.

ETA:

even my 7 lbs papillon isn't allowed to fly in the cabin because she's too tall when she stands up and her head touches the top of the carrier so she has to duck.
Yeah, that. You should have seen the ridiculously large crate Tango had to have because of his bat ears. He's way too tall, he would never have fit in a crate sized for in-cabin and he was only about 5 pounds. So don't assume your puppy will fly in the cabin simply because it's a puppy. Hopefully it can, but you never know!

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
Has anyone ever flown to pick up their puppy and brought it back home on a plane before?

This is something I am going to have to do sometime either very soon (hopefully) or next year and it will be a totally new experience for me. Just the sheer idea of flying all alone to meet a breeder and their dogs is nervewracking, nevermind bringing the puppy back. I don't know anyone who has done it before but figured somebody here must have.

The flight is appox 5 hours. But you also have to be at the airport ahead of boarding time too. What do you do about puppy bathroom breaks? Once we're all checked in at the airport, am I allowed to leave to take the puppy outside somewhere before we board? Will a young puppy be ok on a plane for that long?

Also, they say the puppy has to fly under the seat. Does that mean puppy has to stay in the carrier the whole time and I'm not allowed to hold it?

Not only have I never flown with a pet before, but I've also only ever been on a plane twice ever. Once when I was really young and then again this past January so I'm not overly experienced with any of it. I am sure the airline would also have answers to all these questions, but I like to hear peoples' actual experiences.

I know lots of other people have done it, so it must be fine, but I don't know what to expect at all.
I've done it a few times, and let me tell you, your puppy will either be an angel or it will be the most embarrassing flight of your LIFE. Fiona and Jesse (Riot's brother) were FANTASTIC. Silent the whole time- slept, didn't pee in the kennel. Then I got to Wesley.......

He screamed. And screamed. And screamed. In a flight that was 100% booked solid. Basically, I flew to California at 6 am from Denver. His breeders picked me up, I went to their house to meet the babies. I got first pick of the boys, so I spent two or three hours just evaluating them, and then when I finally made my pick I went over to my friend Joyce's house (who owns Jesse) and hung out with them. Then, I left for LAX at 3 or 4, and the SECOND I entered the building he started screaming. I waited in the security line for about 45 minutes and talked to everyone about him, ran to the bathroom and let him pee on the potty pad I brought with me, and then waited at my gate. He was fine until I had to put him back in his carrier and then the screaming began again. It didn't help that the flight was jam packed, I hadn't slept much the night before, and it was hot. However, we made it to Denver and he did settle down for a little bit in the middle of the flight.

That is probably not what you wanted to hear- but here's some things you should know:

1. Southwest now allows pets, and its way cheaper. Just keep in mind, no matter what airline, you have to call them to book the flight and tell them that you're taking a small pet with you.

2. You can't let them out of their carrier on the plane- EVER. If you do they will freak out.

3. Go to Petsmart or Petco and buy some potty pads. Put one in the bottom of the carrier, and keep two or three in a carry-on, or some carriers have pockets on the side. You can pull them out in the bathroom and sometimes if you're lucky they will pee on them. Most airports don't have a potty area for dogs past security.

4. Rawhides, cow hooves, bully sticks, kongs- whatever. Bring lots of them, and try and have the puppy chew on them before they get in the carrier so they get the idea before they have to deal with the stress.

5. Get a GOOD carrier. Stay away from super floppy sides- they will only bug the puppy more.

6. Do research and find out the busiest times to fly and try and plan your trip around those.

7. Send the breeder a blanket or a toy, and have them put the toy in with the litter so it starts to smell like their mom and their littermates, and put that toy in the carrier. It helps, I swear.

8. Be prepared for screaming.

9. If at all possible, try to spend a few days near the breeder, so the puppy gets used to you before you kidnap it. :)

10. Keep in mind, no matter the stress, no matter the embarrassment, you will have a puppy at the end of all this and it'll be worth it.

I believe I commented on like 3 (of the how many?) Koolie threads and all of them once. I also don't think(in those short posts) I've made anything unclear about how I feel about their breeding practices, if they were unclear you probably weren't meant to understand them anyway. And I don't feel the need to make a thread about it to explain my reasoning for things to a bunch of strangers. My original comment here was in regards to something the OP said to me. Don't like my comments ignore them.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It is one of those, but that is all I will say for now! Hoping for some super exciting news in about a week to share with all of you, but until I get more news, you'll just have to keep guessing. :p
Tease. I'm already jealous though. All three of those are big WANT breeds. :p

It sounds like it's the best choice for you and you'll end up with an awesome pup.

SpringerLover

I didn't feel 100% right about a few things. And to me, a puppy buying experience should be completely exciting and something to look forward to and feel right.
I'm glad you found a breeder that does make it feel 100% right. I've been told that buying a puppy should be like that.

Good luck, and have fun! :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yes, you definitely must feel good about your choice in breeders. And what is good for one, may not be good for another. Totally cool. I wish you the best of luck with this new pup/breeder! Can't wait to see pictures! :)

I'm just happy either way we'll hopefully be getting pictures of a puppy! Also, be happy it's not the Koolie on the plane, there would be no question of noise :D Just ask Sara what Zinga sounded like

Sooo may not be Koolie puppy but PUPPY all the same! PUPPY PUPPY PUPPY!!

Kilter

Agreed!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
My money is on border collie! I don't have anything to add about puppy on a plane but I'm excited for you, and glad you are comfortable with the decision you've made!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I'm just happy either way we'll hopefully be getting pictures of a puppy! Also, be happy it's not the Koolie on the plane, there would be no question of noise :D Just ask Sara what Zinga sounded like

Sooo may not be Koolie puppy but PUPPY all the same! PUPPY PUPPY PUPPY!!
All I have to say about that is when I watched Zinga for a weekend right after she came home...I have NEVER heard those noises from any other dog EVER when she had to be crated in the car.

Grab

Can't wait to see puppy pics, no matter the breed :)

Pretty crappy for people to privately message poo-pooing breeder choices,though.

vandog

Merlie Girlie!
Can't wait to see puppy pics, no matter the breed :)

Pretty crappy for people to privately message poo-pooing breeder choices,though.
As opposed to what, letting her end up with a dog that she wouldn't like/had health problems/was the result of unethical breeding/ect? Give me a break!

I for one welcomed recommendations with open arms both for and against the breeders I had in question. I'm not afraid of my choice but I want to be fully informed and that includes information from people both for and against the breeder(s) in question.

Still, I can see why she hesitated. Finding a good Koolie breeder in some people's eyes is like finding a needle in a haystack. I like who I picked but it took some serious give and take (and lots of money) to find the right one.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
It's unfair that someone who would have been a great addition to the breed was run off. It's easy to say you'll go ahead with it no matter what people say, but much harder to do when you don't know what kind of backlash you'll get.

I know how excited you were so I'm so happy that you have something else lined up! You're a great dog owner and I can't wait to see your puppy!

Members online

No members online now.