Wow your dog is ugly

Rach

I've had people say that about Tulip. Maybe ugly is the new pretty! LOL

I don't get people. Everyone who has posted up to this point I see absolutely nothing ugly about anyone's dogs.

I don't let it bother me too much, I chalk it up to them being jealous and not satisfied in their own lives.

CaliTerp07

Sorry, Amber :( That definitely would have upset me to the point I wouldn't have wanted to go to dinner.

Lucy's never been called ugly (thank goodness, or I would burst into tears), but she's been called "vicious", "wild", and I've been told I'm "abusive" (for grabbing her scruff at the start line of an agility trial). It definitely hurts.

Your sisters are bizarre though. Joey is freakin' adorable.

Snark

Mutts to you
I happened to be in my room with my dad because he was looking for something on my computer. Joey was in the other room with Josh, my stepmom and my sisters. Both my sisters commented on how ugly Joey is and that it's a good thing he is friendly at least. WTF? really???

Also... I have a good size clear bin that has all my leashes, collars, harnesses etc in it. I have quite a bit because I have three dogs and multiple collars, leashes, etc for each. So my sisters commented saying, "Wow Amber, I'm judging you." That's their way of basically making fun of me for my dog obsession yet again. A lot of people in my family really don't understand my dog stuff at all.
Would you be offended if I said your sisters hid behind the door when brains and manners were handed out? Joey is cute! Of course, I don't think I've ever seen a truly ugly dog - people, on the other hand... :D
It is a shame your family doesn't understand the dog stuff - don't they have hobbies/favorite activities? I'd probably retort I don't make fun of their interests or lack thereof, why are they making fun of mine?

Sekah

The Monster.
When my family and I first drove out to visit a little of Aussie puppies (read a posting in a newspaper, wasn't familiar with the breed, yes, we did everything wrong...) my mom said aloud, "Those are the ugliest dogs I've ever seen!"

We went home with a pup from that litter. Ever since I've been telling each and every dog how ugly they are, and that there is something terribly wrong with their faces.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
With Fiona I get a lot of "that dog is super creepy" and "it looks like its staring into my soul" and demonic/robot/blind/deaf/dumb comments. She is so friendly, and she and I both get offended when people get "creeped out" by her. I've had people say pretty mean things about her though, most of them are show Border Collie folk, but also some from the general public. One time I did overhear someone at the show saying "I was pretty pleased with the overall quality in the ring, except that ugly blue eyed dog. Yuck". Heck, one time a JUDGE said to the girl in front of me "mam, your dog is predominantly white (a fault in the BC standard) but the dog behind you (Fiona) is of such poor quality I had to overlook that." People are bitches.
And I think Fiona is the most awesome looking dog ever, so those people are idiots!

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
yeah--if they think Joey is ugly they really have no appreciation for beauty!

I think most people have a preconceived notion of what a dog "looks" like. I think usually it is a dog with drop ears, medium build--generic dog.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
It's sad and a bit pathetic really that some people..instead of looking at new or different things with curiosity, are so close minded that they immediately jump to something negative.

I just wish people could at least learn how to control their mouths. Even a little bit.

I don't let it bother me and I certainly don't say anything mean back.. that only perpetuates them. I will not sink to their level. But yea. I have a chihuahua, of course I've heard the "ugly" thing before.

I will usually just say something like "that is not a nice thing to say" .. not in a joking way, not in a mean way, just calmly.
Take a look at how it affects people, it truly is interesting to actually see people self examine. Some people just laugh it off or whatever but some people you can tell actually think about what they just said.

The method also works with people with racist or insulting humor/jokes. Just calmly say something like "I don't get it.." and MAKE THEM explain the joke, making them go back and explain why the stereotype is funny..it's priceless.

Kenya has been called ugly numerous times. I overheard a lady saying "That thing ought to be put out of it's misery" referring to Pumpkin a while back.

crazedACD

Wow, I can't imagine someone having the gall to tell people their pet is ugly.

I know non-dog people tend to think merle is ugly. I love it, I love anything with spots.

My mom makes remarks about Skye sometimes...but she prefers terriers, GSDs, labs. I think Fez is kind of ugly :p, not big into the fuzzy terrier thing. I was showing her the Azawakhs once and mom was like oh...you really like skinny dogs don't you?? Yeah I kind of have a thing for petite dogs..

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
What a rude thing to say :(

Joey is beautiful and adorable... your family just doesn't know how to apreciate a good looking dog!

Airn

I haven't heard anyone call Gwen ugly. More like "What is that?" and commenting about her shyness. My family teases me a lot of my dog obsession. My dad was wanting a dog and he said "I can't get a dog from a shelter because they'll be scared like Gwen". He's not a good dog owner or pet owner at all, but still. He calls her stupid all the time, too. Even though she's smarter than him. It's pretty rude to say your dog is ugly, messed up or anything like that. My family calls her "Sad dog" because they know it frustrates me.

I think some dogs aren't as attractive as other's but I wouldn't tell the owner that! (Or be within earshot.) If someone has an ugly child and you say anything I'm sure the mother would freak out on you. I don't think Gwen is the most attractive dog. I prefer longer coated dogs, but I still love her.

How does someone refer to a whole breed as stupid? How do you even determine is a dog is 'stupid' if you're just in a (dog) park with it? Stupid people. ;)

GipsyQueen

Thats so hurtful :( I'm sorry!
I had one person come up to me, a few months ago, when Gipsy really started to decline and say, "Your dog used to be so beautiful - but now she looks horrible. Enjoy your time with her." :(

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
People are nasty.

I never heard comments till Arson. Looks like a gremlin.. so ugly it's cute. Why'd you rescue that..

There's an entire thread on the crestie forum devoted to replies to give to people so you have something to say ;)

I like beezers, and afghans. People suck. I'm not a bc person in the slightest, but I find Fiona stunning and admire her when I look at your siggy.

Jenne

Ball Thrower
I've had someone tell me Chase looked like he had mange due to his merle pattern and some people don't like merles or red merles so people will just say, "I don't like red merles". But other than that I get a lot of compliments on him. I just shrugged it off as personal preference. I think dog choices are as individual as what people wear. Some people like goth and some are preppy. People will judge and there is very little anyone can really do.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh yeah. A toy dog and especially one that looks kind of like a chihuahua. they're rats. Stupid. People come up and tell me they hate little dogs. Useless dogs.

Okay good for you. It annoys me for a minute but mostly just makes me roll my eyes. I do more with my little 'useless' dogs than most people do with their big dogs.

And I know my dogs rock. ;)

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
With Fiona I get a lot of "that dog is super creepy" and "it looks like its staring into my soul" and demonic/robot/blind/deaf/dumb comments. She is so friendly, and she and I both get offended when people get "creeped out" by her. I've had people say pretty mean things about her though, most of them are show Border Collie folk, but also some from the general public. One time I did overhear someone at the show saying "I was pretty pleased with the overall quality in the ring, except that ugly blue eyed dog. Yuck". Heck, one time a JUDGE said to the girl in front of me "mam, your dog is predominantly white (a fault in the BC standard) but the dog behind you (Fiona) is of such poor quality I had to overlook that." People are bitches.
Is it also a fault for a BC to have blue eyes? I don't know. Tho show ppl can be jerks sometimes I used to show jack Russell's & I have gotten a lot of comments about how thy are "crazy/untrainable/mean/etc..."

What do people tell others their pets are ugly? Do they think I'll say, "Gee, your right, my dog is ugly, I ought to get a different one. "

Members online

No members online now.