therapy dogs

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
So I think I am in love. While I was in the hospital I was placed in an "overflow" bed, on the third floor with physical therapy. On tuesday I was out in the hallway waiting to be taken down for what was to become a LOOOONG series of testing. Anyway, out of nowhere this HUGE soft silky black dog loped in front of my wheelchair and just sat there waiting to be petted. I grabbed his lead thinking mistakenly he was going on an exploration unattended. Then his handler popped out of a room behind me and said that no, he just noticed someone needed a friend and came to say hello. Oh how did he know I needed a puppy to love just then?! Such a sweet dog. She called him a Portugese Water Spaniel...I think. I want to research the breed. He looked like a standard poodle but was sooo much softer and silkier then anything I have ever touched before. Such a gentle giant too. Oh, I want one now :) I'm sure Sunny wouldn't mind the company. Now I'm seriously thinking about finding therapy dog classes for Sunny. He needs to calm down a little bit but he would LOVE all of the attention. Anyway, this dog was magnificent at what he was trained to do. I felt better that day then any pain pill had made me feel to that point. Sigh. I wants the precious :D

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Oh, I'm so glad that you had at least one bright spot in your hospital stay.

There's a couple PWDs at the dog park. If the coat is properly taken care of, then it's just how you described. I don't know much in particular about this breed, but the one out at the park always seems to be having a great time doing anything.

Adrienne

What a great experience. PWD's are awesome! They are used for water sports and rescue I believe. It is amazing how intuitive animals are to our feelings. I hope to train Gunnar to be an ESA (emotional support animal) as well as a therapy dog. The ESA is for me, I suffer from debilitating panic attacks, OCD, and generalized anxiety. Him being with me helps me face situations with lots of people around. Gives me something to focus on.

Doberluv

Oh, I'm so glad your stay was brightened up so very much. What a wonderful, sweet dog that was! I do hope all is OK with you.

I have always, always admired those dogs, been very curious and intriguiged by them. Tell us what you find out and if you are really going to get one. That would be cool. I see by having multiple dogs how neat it is when they have not only their humans, but a doggie family too. It's just a whole lot of fun and very interesting too... how they interact.

Hope all is well and keep us posted.

Members online

No members online now.